Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

pc wont recognise external hard drive

• 28-01-2011 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

I really hope some one can help
    I have a seagate 1tb goflex external hard drive that my pc just wont recognise,it doesnt show up in my computer but is in device manager,every now and then it shows up in in my computer but its not named its just drive(h).. id really like to get my photos of it as i stupidly didnt save them anywhere else when i chanced pc
    Ive tried a couple off things including Seatools(seagate) but still nothing,i even tried to format it but it wont do it
    Id really appreciate any help.im not hugely knowlegable with pc's but im will to try anything to help get the data off it
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭practice

As you have photos on it was it recognised before on this computer.
    Can you see it in disk management

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,573 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 46 peanut970

practice wrote: »
    As you have photos on it was it recognised before on this computer.
    Can you see it in disk management
    It was recognised on this pc ,and it isnt in disk management,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

try a linux live cd,eg mint linux, it boots from cd, setpc, bios boot mode,cd=o, cd=first boot device, mint fits on a 700 meg cdr, 698meg in size.
    download x86, 32bit version here,live cd http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php it loads os from cd,detects any usb drive ,if the drive is working ,ie not broken,
    it,ll work on just about any pc, made since 2004.

You should check first the usb cable (by using another cable) and you should check the hdd (as is) in another computer. It might be a malfunctioning cable problem (not very uncommon).

• Advertisement

You should check first the usb cable (by using another cable) and you should check the hdd (as is) in another computer. It might be a malfunctioning cable problem (not very uncommon).

thanks but that was the first thing i tried,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

go oldschool, try scandisk /f in the command window. works everytime I've had probs like this.

ricman wrote: »
    try a linux live cd,eg mint linux, it boots from cd, setpc, bios boot mode,cd=o, cd=first boot device, mint fits on a 700 meg cdr, 698meg in size.
    download x86, 32bit version here,live cd http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php it loads os from cd,detects any usb drive ,if the drive is working ,ie not broken,
    it,ll work on just about any pc, made since 2004.

I tried this last night, at first i thought i was getting somewhere but when i selected it,it said it could not mount???? and to run chkdsk/f in windows but my pc wont allow me, even though i was using it as admin
    i dont know the exact phrase it used but ill try again tonight and take screen shots of the message
    Have you any idea what this might mean,as i said im not very well up on pc's but more than willing to try anything if guided
    Thanks for your help so far

This is the message i got in linuxlive
    Error mounting: mount exited with exit code 13: ntfs_attr_pread_i: ntfs_pread failed: Input/output error
    Failed to read NTFS $Bitmap: Input/output error
    NTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or it's a
    SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk /f on Windows
    then reboot into Windows twice. The usage of the /f parameter is very
    important! If the device is a SoftRAID/FakeRAID then first activate
    it and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper/ directory, (e.g.
    /dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please see the 'dmraid' documentation
    for more details.

and when i did chkdsk/f
    you do not have sufficent privilages???

kwalshe wrote: »
    go oldschool, try scandisk /f in the command window. works everytime I've had probs like this.

is scandisk not just for xp and earlier,im using windows 7,i think chkdsk replaced it? i could be wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Port Royale

peanut970 wrote: »
    ...,i think chkdsk replaced it...

...chkdsk is available since MS-DOS ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

kwalshe wrote: »

Sry I meant chkdsk /f

as i said earlier my pc wont let me do chkdsk, it say you do not have sufficent privilages??? any ideas why

SET bios,boot mode cd = first boot=device zero,linux will load even if the
    hardisk is dead.Load linux, then connect external drive.SET hd to boot 3rd device,hd=3.

choose run from cd ,do not install option,in mint linux menu.do not install linux,it loads os into ram,doesnt need drive c ,hardisk at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭seniorstaff

was that drive purchased in EASONS by any chance? , i had the same problem with i think a seagate external hard drive, easons refunded my money, the person said they were coming back by the skip load

no matter what you try it wont recognise the drive

was that drive purchased in EASONS by any chance? , i had the same problem with i think a seagate external hard drive, easons refunded my money, the person said they were coming back by the skip load

no matter what you try it wont recognise the drive
    No it was bought in pc world, i have the reciept and could take it back but all my photos are on it along with about 80gb of other data,i really want to try get the photos of because i stupidly did save them anywhere else

As the drive was working before and will not work in another computer it does seem to be faulty.
    You have ruled out the USB cable what about the power cord.
    Have you tried unpluging all other USB stuff and just plug in the drive.
    As a last resort you could try to take it out of its caddy and see if it will work as a second drive inside your computer, as there may be a wire loose in the caddy.
    This will of course invalidate your warrenty if PC World can tell you took it apart.

As the drive was working before and will not work in another computer it does seem to be faulty.
    You have ruled out the USB cable what about the power cord.
    Have you tried unpluging all other USB stuff and just plug in the drive.
    As a last resort you could try to take it out of its caddy and see if it will work as a second drive inside your computer, as there may be a wire loose in the caddy.
    This will of course invalidate your warrenty if PC World can tell you took it apart.
    i did manage to get it out of the case a few weeks ago and tried all your suggestions but no luck,i think i may give up on getting the photos back

Advertisement