Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What are the odds of this happening in the premiership?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

BrianJD wrote: »

You could include lot more then just Rooney on this one. A lot more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

What an eegit

EDIT: Actually, I change my mind. That was pretty sound of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

You could include lot more then just Rooney on this one. A lot more
    Rooney acted the biggest dick in the process though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 319 ✭✭jamsieboy86

Oguchi Onyewu done something similar at AC Milan last year because he was injured. He took a one year extension with no pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

So did Redondo when he was injured for a long time while at Milan

Wiki
    Because he was unable to play for 2½ years due to his physical condition, he suspended his £2.74m-a-year salary, and even tried to give back the house and car which the Milan board had given him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

An Athletic Bilbao player played a season, or at least offered to for free also. The name escapes me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

you'd have to be a total idiot imo to give up that type of money for such a stupid reason

just read he already got $40m from them, what a hero :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Damiano Tomassi ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

A few players who had testimonials gave their proceeds to charity. Always thought this was very generous and what all footballers should do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Not Owen Hargreaves idea of a good read!

Not Owen Hargreaves idea of a good read!

Jonathan Woodgate should give back every penny he has ever earned. Also Ledley King.

Devil08 wrote: »
    Jonathan Woodgate should give back every penny he has ever earned. Also Ledley King.
    Why Ledley King?? He plays over 20 games a season with us and is the club captain. Woodgate has also played every season he was at the club they are both nearing full fitness once again (not Ledley so much though...).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Oguchi Onyewu will play for Milan for no wage in 2012-13 assuming he's still there.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/may/17/oguchi-onyewu-milan-free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    An Athletic Bilbao player played a season, or at least offered to for free also. The name escapes me.
    Etxeberria

Am I missing something though or does the article above give the impression that he gave back money that he'd already earned... when it's actually that he retired a year early and gave up the $12m that way?

Obviously still sound of him to not do a Winston Bogarde but they're definitely exaggerating it, no?

THFC wrote: »
    Why Ledley King?? He plays over 20 games a season with us and is the club captain. Woodgate has also played every season he was at the club they are both nearing full fitness once again (not Ledley so much though...).

I find it hard to believe King plays that many games. I could be wrong. But he seems to be injured all the time. Once he gets back to fitness, he plays one game and is out again. Id be very surprised if he has played 20 games a season over past 5/6 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Bodhisopha wrote: »

Wasn't that Joseba Etxeberia (sp?). Club legend who didn't want any more wages in his final year as the club were struggling financially?

EDIT:

Yup. :)
    From wiki.
    On 1 October 2008, already playing second-fiddle for the team, Etxeberria agreed a deal with the club according to which he effectively played 2009–10, his last season as a professional, for free, after his contract expired in June 2009.

EDIT: EDIT: Beaten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

I find it hard to believe King plays that many games. I could be wrong. But he seems to be injured all the time. Once he gets back to fitness, he plays one game and is out again. Id be very surprised if he has played 20 games a season over past 5/6 years

King has some chronic knee problems, which are so far untreatable so i say fair play to the man for being able to play at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

Its common enough in sports in the USA that the owners will try to recoup some of the wages from a player who hasn't played a lot that season or fella's who've been cut etc.

Why it doesn't happen in Football, I don't really understand

6 seasons ago he played all 38 league matches;
    5 seasons ago he had 27 (26 in league) appearences
    4 seasons ago he had 27 (21 in league) appearences
    2 seasons ago he had 29 (24 in league) appearences
    Last season he had 21 (20 in league) appearences
    according to wiki.

• Advertisement

I see you chose to leave this season out and also 3 seasons ago..I can see why

Still not great stats for someone considered a first team squad member

I see you chose to leave this season out and also 3 seasons ago..I can see why
    You're wrong. Get over it.
    Still not great stats for someone considered a first team squad member
    Quality not quantity.

You're wrong. Get over it.

Quality not quantity.

Im not wrong. hes played 7 games this season. 10 games 3 seasons ago. And an average of 25 games most other seasons. Id imagine most top players in the Prem would play approx 40 games a season depending how far they get in cups.

KING = CROCK

I find it hard to believe King plays that many games .... Id be very surprised if he has played 20 games a season over past 5/6 years
    6 seasons ago he played all 38 league matches;
    5 seasons ago he had 27 (26 in league) appearences
    4 seasons ago he had 27 (21 in league) appearences
    2 seasons ago he had 29 (24 in league) appearences
    Last season he had 21 (20 in league) appearences
    according to wiki.
    Im not wrong.
    Gman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Im not wrong. hes played 7 games this season. 10 games 3 seasons ago. And an average of 25 games most other seasons. Id imagine most top players in the Prem would play approx 40 games a season depending how far they get in cups.

KING = CROCK

You said he didn't average around 20 a season though. :confused:

If King didn't have the knee problems he would be first choice centre half and captain of England imo just a real shame about the injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Mido joined West Ham for £52,000 a year but I think he's worth 800 million himself anyway.

Johner wrote: »
    You said he didn't average around 20 a season though. :confused:

If King didn't have the knee problems he would be first choice centre half and captain of England imo just a real shame about the injuries.

Yea and if my granny had balls she would be playing upfront for Ireland

Gman.

Youre just reading what you want to read to suit your thick self. If you read my quotes you will see that I said - I would be very surprised if King has played more than 20 games a season over last 5/6 seasons. And he hasnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

He averages 20 games a season over the last 5 and a half seasons so you are wrong.

• Advertisement

Johner wrote: »
    He averages 20 games a season over the last 6 seasons so you are wrong.

Who said anything about averages???

Youre just reading what you want to read to suit your thick self. If you read my quotes you will see that I said - I would be very surprised if King has played more than 20 games a season over last 5/6 seasons. And he hasnt.
    Oh dear me...

Great. Another idiot who lives his life through cartoons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

ON TOPIC

Sound of your man, but it does seem that he retired prematurely, which would mean he wouldnt get that last years salary.. no?
    In principal, legend. In reality, meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Didn't Mido play last season as one of the lowest paid players in the EPL just to find a team? Think he was still earning a grand a week though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Damiano Tomassi ftw

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damiano_Tommasi

He comes across as quite the legend. Currently plays for an amateur team with his two brothers, if they look like he does it must be quite a sight!

• Advertisement

Great. Another idiot who lives his life through cartoons.
    Any fcuking gobshíte that could question Ledley King's contribution to Tottenham over the last few years isn't some one worth arguing with, as he clearly hasn't a fcuking clue. You are beyond stubborn.

Apologies for going off topic but some idiots just really get under your skin..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Brazilian Ronaldo only played 24 games from season 1999-00 to 2001-02, yet took all of his wages home.

He was dead right too. Imagine a person in the favelas in Rio getting one weeks of Ronaldo' wages.

Advertisement