Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed on rent arrears

Options
  • 28-01-2011 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am renting a property for around a year now, my partner was getting paid for doing a post graduate position in her college and we paid the rent on time every time until she lost her position.

We are 2 months behind in rent (1,060euro) the reason being that she was not paid by her college as the funding had run out, and she was left along with other students on the course without any payment for two months, when she asked the college about the payments they said 'funding had stopped and it was out of there control'

So we went to CWO who gave us the rent allowance (but no help with the arrears) we have being paying the rent on time since we got the rent allowance but we still owe the 1,060euro

We have spoke to the landlord/landlady who have been very nice till now, they explained to us they need the rent and have given us till the end of February 2011 to pay the arrears, that was at christmas time and we appreciated the gesture, I don't think we will have the arrears of 1,060euro by the end of this month as we have a small child (and one on the way) I am student and my partner is not working...

We are in an open lease and we are registered with the PRTB, we paid a deposit of 300e at the beginning of the lease,

Where do we stand if we can not pay the arrears???

Thank you

ps: We have been renting for several years and have never been in arrears this only happened because we were awaiting the payment for my partners college. hence being in arrears for the 2 months...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Do you intend renewing the lease? if so explain the situation to the landlord, if you have already, they are probably concerned you are going to leave them with a big bill.
    Are you in arrears with any bills? if not then you can go to the landlord with the view to re letting and tell them you will make the arrears up over the following lease year? or
    If you have a good relationship with them, is there room to re negotiate the rent (in effect the reduction might go towards covering the arrears) good tenants are a good asset and rents are open to renegotiating.
    It is better for a landlord to have a good tenant looking after a place and receiving slightly less than the going rate???

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭variety

Merch wrote: »
    good tenants are a good asset
    The *very* least that is expected from a "good" tenant is that they pay the agreed rent on time. OP is not a good tenant.
    (And, no, I'm not a LL).
    We are 2 months behind in rent (1,060euro) the reason being that she was not paid by her college as the funding had run out, and she was left along with other students on the course without any payment for two months
    Clearly not your fault, nevertheless you are living in a house you have not paid for, at the expense of your LL.
    The landlord/landlady [...] explained to us they need the rent and have given us till the end of February 2011 to pay the arrears.[...] We have being paying the rent on time since we got the rent allowance but we still owe the 1,060euro
    Your LL is obviously working with you. How are you working with them? From your post you haven't attempted to meet your debts and obligations - you could have been paying very small increments each week towards your arrears.
    I don't think we will have the arrears of 1,060euro by the end of this month as we have a small child (and one on the way) I am student and my partner is not working...
    All of which means you cannot afford to rent. Move in with family or friends. Or put your name down for a council house.
    Your LL is not responsible for your financial issues and you cannot expect them to support you and your family, as you cannot even afford to support yourselves.
    We are in an open lease
    What does this mean? In Ireland you have only three types of residential lease: a fixed term lease, part 4 tenancy or a periodic tenancy. Which one are you referring to?
    we paid a deposit of 300e at the beginning of the lease,
    Where do we stand if we can not pay the arrears???
    As Merch said, you could stay in the property (if your LL agrees, of course) and pay off the debts incrementally each week.

Or you could leave (giving the correct notice as required by your lease), lose your deposit and move in with family or friends who can support you while you get back on your financial feet (or a new rental with your Rent Allowance but you would need to come up with the initial deposit). This option leaves the LL high and dry without their €1,060 (less the €300 of your deposit) which is hardly fair and the LL could pursue you through the PRTB.

Not a great situation. Your LL is clearly trying to help you, but they cannot be expected to shoulder your financial burden - you have no idea what financial situation they're in.
    Find any way you can to pay your debt and prove to your LL that you are a responsible Tenant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

If you have a good relationship with them, is there room to re negotiate the rent (in effect the reduction might go towards covering the arrears) good tenants are a good asset and rents are open to renegotiating.
    It is better for a landlord to have a good tenant looking after a place and receiving slightly less than the going rate???

I think thats a good suggestion.

A least I think if you are looking after the place, in good communication with the LL, very upfront with the money issues. A decent LL would work with you.

However, the landlord themselves might be in financial difficulty and feel they can get the full rent and need it. So you have to be open to the idea that they may not want to do the above suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭battries not included

Do you intend renewing the lease? if so explain the situation to the landlord, if you have already, they are probably concerned you are going to leave them with a big bill.
    Are you in arrears with any bills? if not then you can go to the landlord with the view to re letting and tell them you will make the arrears up over the following lease year? or

Yes, we are in an open lease with no set time period.

I don't expect them to lower rent as that would be unfair/

I will be able to pay one month's rent (530e) leaving me in debt of one month as opposed to two

I do think communication is key here. If you agree all with the landlord, and keep in touch, so that that the LL don't think your ignoring it. That helps a lot.

Think things will get better eventually. Just have to stay the course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

BostonB wrote: »
    I do think communication is key here. If you agree all with the landlord, and keep in touch, so that that the LL don't think your ignoring it. That helps a lot.

Think things will get better eventually. Just have to stay the course.

Definitely a good idea to keep in contact with the landlord, dont avoid them under any circumstances, and if you miss a call off them contact them back as soon as possible.

I wouldn't rule out asking for a reduction, reiterate your circumstances, they may be understanding, tell them you are under pressure and aren't happy that this situation has come about as you prefer your circumstances weren't as such, if you keep the place well and have a good rapport with them, assuming you make a part payment and the balance in installments/ and if there are no other issues and you continue to stay on as tenants,then it would be better for them to have you as a tenant if you make part payments for the remaining arrears than to have another unkownn entity(tenant).

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭battries not included

Got sorted, will pay one months arrears at end of feb and pay the other month in installments :)

thanks for the replies

Sounds good. I think a reasonable landlord would be agreeable once theres a genuine effort to bring arrears down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Main thing is stay in contact with the landlord

When I was on a monthly salary the odd time you'd start a new job and it could be 7 weeks before you get paid. So gave a heads up to the landlord and told them the story. They all work in Ireland, they know the score

Always stay in contact with your landlord.
    Ignoring them makes them nervous and possibly angry.

As said a good landlord will work with you and this seems to be happening here, well done

Advertisement