Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork South Central

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

I think it's gas looking at different opinion polls and what they predict. On here boards.ie have david mccarthy in 4th for 1st preferences, yet on the examiner poll he is rock bottom. I still give Ml Mcgrath a chance to get the last seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭GymJim

Rebel1977 wrote: »
    I think it's gas looking at different opinion polls and what they predict. On here boards.ie have david mccarthy in 4th for 1st preferences, yet on the examiner poll he is rock bottom. I still give Ml Mcgrath a chance to get the last seat.

Think that's a lot to do with the differing age demographics between the examiners phone poll (older people - more likely voters) and boards poll (younger less likely voters)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

GymJim wrote: »
    To be fair, I cannot see how Michael McGrath can be blamed for the flaws in the local planning process.

Michael McGrath:
    • Passage West town council: 1999 - 2007
    • Cork County Council for Carrigaline area: 2004 - 2007
    • TD for CSC: 2007 - 2011 (Previous post went to his brother, who's also his secretary now)

Then there was the promise of a light rail system for Carrigaline...which he subsequently shelved as "impossible"...after the election of course.

He was also pushing the N28 Ringaskiddy-Cork Dual Carriageway through the final phases of approval but has since run for the hills on that one too. There have been several tragic fatalities along that relatively short stretch of extremely congested road since 2007 (At least 3 in the last year alone) and doubtless we haven't seen the last one.

To say nothing of his questionable involvement in the rezoning of ~€100m of lands owned by Castlelands construction in Bishopstown.
    http://politico.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2857:controversial-rezonings-in-cork&catid=4:planning-environment&Itemid=890

Broken promises, cronyism, spin and a big smile. The worst kind of politician imo.

We will get exactly what we deserve if we put that guy back in.

You have clearly quoted me out of context there. My point was Michael McGrath cannot be solely blamed for all the procedural issues with the planning process itself.

I am not talking about any specific development and his involvement therein but the fact that I don't see how he's any more culpable for questionable planning decisions than any other TD (or local councillor for that matter).

Goldstein wrote: »
    Broken promises, cronyism, spin and a big smile. The worst kind of politician imo.
    We will get exactly what we deserve if we put that guy back in.

Again, my point is would these sentiments not apply to all the other TDs?! I am not defending Michael McGrath per se just trying to highlight that this is what our political system has become and you will find someone with examples just like yours there for each TD in the constituency.

You seem to be implying that because the other candidates have had no involvement at all in your area they would be more deserving of a vote as you've no specific issues with them.

You have clearly quoted me out of context there. My point was Michael McGrath cannot be solely blamed for all the procedural issues with the planning process itself.

I am not talking about any specific development and his involvement therein

That's fair enough, I thought you were pointing out that because he's a TD, he should be more nationally focused. Based on that, I was indicating in turn that he had many years before in various other posts so shouldn't get off the hook so easily.
    Again, my point is would these sentiments not apply to all the other TDs?!

You seem to be implying that because the other candidates have had no involvement at all in your area they would be more deserving of a vote as you've no specific issues with them.

I take your point but the key difference in this instance is that the others didn't make direct local promises they couldn't keep just to get elected before subsequently washing their hands of the issues. I know they all do it to some extent but these were just so blatant that I felt he deserves to be held accountable in the election.

The mere fact that he's FF should be reason enough for people not to even think about re-electing him and coupled with the local failures I don't see how anyone could in good conscience vote for him.

One thing's for sure, it'll be an interesting contest for the last seat or two.

• Advertisement

The mere fact that he's FF should be reason enough for people not to even think about re-electing him and coupled with the local failures I don't see how anyone could in good conscience vote for him.

Agreed. This is the reason I myself could not vote for him. Probably should not be forgotten that he's been in the Dept of Finance aswell the last few years.

Unfortunately, I do think the fact that Mr McGrath has been somewhat more active (whether that be good or bad) than others from a local perspective may see him sneak in due to what I see as his general popularity among local issue voters...perhaps those you would term ill-informed as I don't doubt the examples of empty promises by Mr McGrath which you provided relating to your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,482 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Just heard on 96fm Martin isnt attending their debate

• Registered Users Posts: 24 foresthill

mcgraths Legacy, what a Joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mirm

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Just heard on 96fm Martin isnt attending their debate

When is their debate scheduled for and who will be in attendance??

• Registered Users Posts: 86,482 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

mirm wrote: »
    When is their debate scheduled for and who will be in attendance??

All Cork South Central candidates except Martin I think not sure when it is one

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    All Cork South Central candidates except Martin I think not sure when it is one

Well Martin is definitely shooting himself in the foot, he could easily pick up floating votes from listeners since this is his back yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/expenses-claimed-by-senators-2480910.html

Jerry Buttimer must be flying by concord to get to the dail, €50,000 is disgraceful and this man should not be elected!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

That's fair enough, I thought you were pointing out that because he's a TD, he should be more nationally focused. Based on that, I was indicating in turn that he had many years before in various other posts so shouldn't get off the hook so easily.

I take your point but the key difference in this instance is that the others didn't make direct local promises they couldn't keep just to get elected before subsequently washing their hands of the issues. I know they all do it to some extent but these were just so blatant that I felt he deserves to be held accountable in the election.

On the one hand you're giving out that he is too local, then you're giving out for not being local enough?

And if you don't think he's done anything but sit on the backbenches reading newspapers I don't know what to say to you. He's been on numerous TV shows, radio shows and all over the papers. He headed the public accounts committee and sent committee investigations and findings to the guards and the DPP.

For all the people voting for Martin, if you're going to vote FF McGrath looks like a much better proposition. Less blood on his hands and far more outspoken about the banking situation than most FFers.

All you seem to care about is an unfeasible dual carriageway for a couple of car ferries, on a road that can't even support a petrol station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

Is it me or do the numbers add up to two left wing seats.

O'Leary to get the last seat.

Still cant figure out how Coveney is the front runner. Never comes across as that sharp.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Dob74 wrote: »

Still cant figure out how Coveney is the front runner. Never comes across as that sharp.

Because unfortunately he's sharper than both his running mates...FG really have to review running those two again prior to the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Dob74 wrote: »

Aye. Tim Nice But Dim is the impression I always got. Comes across as a fairly genuine guy though. Would most likely get Foreign Affairs in a FG cabinet if Enda is feeling frisky, or Fun and Games in the normal course of things.

Buceph wrote: »
    On the one hand you're giving out that he is too local, then you're giving out for not being local enough?

And if you don't think he's done anything but sit on the backbenches reading newspapers I don't know what to say to you.

Heh-heh, Couldn't have put it better myself ;)
    Buceph wrote: »
    All you seem to care about is an unfeasible dual carriageway for a couple of car ferries, on a road that can't even support a petrol station.

There is a petrol station on it.

Knock yourself out although you're clearly well versed in the matter.
    68 page Independent Indecon economic assessment concerning the "couple of car ferries":
    http://www.corkchamber.ie/UserFiles/file/Publications/Cork%20to%20World%20-%20An%20Economic%20Assessment%20of%20the%20N28%20Cork%20to%20Ringaskiddy.pdf

David McCarthy worked with Sean Kelly on his european election campaign, is McCarthy ex-fine gael does any one know ?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭deanh

Rebel1977 wrote: »
    David McCarthy worked with Sean Kelly on his european election campaign, is McCarthy ex-fine gael does any one know ?

I think he used to be a regional organiser for F.G., but has worked on several campaigns: Kathy Sinnott; Norris for President e.t.c. The problem with Independent candidates is that they are never as independent as they make out.

deanh wrote: »
    I think he used to be a regional organiser for F.G., but has worked on several campaigns: Kathy Sinnott; Norris for President e.t.c. The problem with Independent candidates is that they are never as independent as they make out.

I agree with you there, they always have some sort of background from a political party somewhere. I can't see him getting anywhere to be honest, or any other ind candidate too many big names in this field.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Up de Barrs

I saw him in the Wilton shopping centra a couple of Saturdays ago, to be honest he was dressed like he was going out on the town for the night. Gave the impression that he wasnt taking the election seriously.

I saw him in the Wilton shopping centra a couple of Saturdays ago, to be honest he was dressed like he was going out on the town for the night. Gave the impression that he wasnt taking the election seriously.

He called to my door last week I was not impressed at all to be honest he was all talk about policies etc has not got a hope of implementing them even IF he got elected

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Predictions, predictions.. it's like listening to football fans.

Have any of these candidates done anything of note. I'm new here and am having real trouble deciding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Great news concerning Michael McGrath, He has been canvassing at doors in Carrigaline and my friends said he really seems 'a worried man'. Good enough for him, I hope he never works in politics again.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭moceri

Irish Examiner Dec 15 2010

Cork solicitor, Eamon Murray, was appointed to the board of The Criminal Injuries Compensation Tribunal. His practice is recorded by the Standards in Public Office Commission as having made €900 donations to Minister for Foreign Affairs Micheál Martin in 2007 election year.

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/healy-rae-daughter-gets-plum-state-job-139494.html#ixzz1Ejb5OQUS

Its nearing the end!! Wats everyones thoughts?? Hopes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 dename

Hello, new to this thread but have been following it.

I think the outcome will probably be: 1 Lab, 2 FG, 1 FF, and a scramble (as always) for the fifth seat, with main contenders being Desmond, O' Leary and Buttimer. I can't see McGrath getting in, due to FF's lack of popularity here now. Martin will get a seat for sentimental Jack-Lynch-esque reasons, and because people know who he is (smoking ban, etc.)

What I would like to see is: 2 Lab, 1 SF, 1 Ind., 1 FG.

I'm pretty disappointed that the Left are polling at a mere 30-ish %. While I do think "Civil War politics" (i.e. people only seeing two choices for government) has a lot to do with it, I think it is also arguably down to a mediocre campaign...

I'm in my mid-twenties, doing a masters, starting my career. Things of concern to me are getting crime rates down, social justice/equality, protecting low/non-earners, education, jobs, emigration, health, investment in research/innovation and arts and culture. Similar to many. Labour's manifesto is appealing to me, strong and socially fair, and Gilmore seems both capable and human at the same time. In a student survey released the other day, conducted in 6 universities, FG were topping the poll for governmental party, but paradoxically with Gilmore as the desired leader. My question is, in a time where it is pretty blatant that the worst and most horrific aspects of capitalism have ruined the country, why aren't the Left cleaning up? And especially among my generation? In all of modern history, it has never been so inexpensive and easy to run a decent campaign -- get on youtube, vimeo, facebook, twitter, wordpress, boards for God's sake! Put up a vlog every second day, put your ideas out there and be honest with people. On top of this, get out on the streets, meet people, let them know who you are, and get ready to debate with the many, many people on the streets who'll have opinions. I haven't seen one candidate in the flesh since the campaign started, nor have I seen any impressive engagement with people on the net. A couple of candidates have impressed me in other ways (like debate on 96fm wednesday morning).

The numbers were there for the taking, and I fear that the Left haven't done what they could have. I'd only love if the polls were wrong, and we end up having a Left majority on Friday... I live in hope...

Happy voting south centralers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

A good friend of mine who is a writer by trade has put up his analysis of the candidates for Cork South Central in his blog: http://thatsnotmysquid.com/blog/?p=296#content

Highly amusing satire. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭joulter

any chance the good people of cork south central will tell micheál to gtfo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

joulter wrote: »
    any chance the good people of cork south central will tell micheál to gtfo?

Not a hope. Sure he's the best chance we've had of a Cork Taoiseach in decades...

Etc.

Advertisement