Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unusual TV Licence question

Options
  • 28-01-2011 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭

My nephew is a student in Galway and borrowed his mothers TV for a few a months. His mother lives in Clare and has a licence for the TV. One day an inspector called to the house and he said there was some electronics in the house "including a TV" but they were only in storage because of flood damage at his mothers house. The inspector never actually got to see the TV. A month later he gets a notice to provide a TV licence.
    The TV has since gone back to Clare but he is now on a Final notice. But when he rings them up and explains that the TV has a licence and is back in Clare they say it doesn't matter he still needs to buy a licence as he said there was a TV in the house when they called. Does he have a strong case here if it goes to court?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,949 ✭✭✭✭anewme

No, I think if there is a tv on the premises, he has to have a licence. Simple as. Why did he not just say, no tv. How did tv licence man get his name anyway? They are doing the rounds at the minute by the way, the TV licence people. Got a letter in my door yesterday to say they will be back within 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

As far as I know the TV license is for the household, not the actual TV set.

But as you said he "borrowed his mothers TV for a few a months", it sounds like he was using it.

If there was no TV set in his mother's house perhaps he could have applied for a change of address, but it's probably too late for that now!

How much will a court case cost compared with paying for the license?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/media/tv_licences.html

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

License is for the premises not the tv, you can have 20 tvs in the one house you only need one license.

Would have been best not to advise there was a tv especially if it was onlu for storage,

however he's a student, are you telling me he lives in a house with no tv at all? Because if he has one he still needs that license

Advertisement