Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disability Q

Options
  • 28-01-2011 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I have an interview scheduled for next week with a company who are very enthuaistic about my CV, the agency I am dealing with said they are in love with my cv... (his words..!)

the work is overseas and due to how hard work is to get I am pleased, but I have a hearing problem and wonder should I disclose this to the agency? The company are booking all flights, rentals etc for me.

I use hearing aids of course and the recruiter would not be aware there is anything wrong with me, and probably the company wouldnt either. It is skilled work and I want to get the job if i can.

what is the opinion.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Be sure to disclose any health issues just in case it goes against their health and saftey policys like Irish rail staff cant work track side if they have sight or hearing problems or have a disability that would prevent them from moving quick enough when a train comes round a corner.
    If you arrive overseas and they say you cant do the job because of the hearing then you could be liable for the costs incurred in taking you over etc because you didnt disclose it earlier. If they havent asked about any health issues on any forms or at the interview then there wouldnt be a need to mention anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Be sure to disclose any health issues just in case it goes against their health and saftey policys .... If they havent asked about any health issues on any forms or at the interview then there wouldnt be a need to mention anything.

Contradictory advice there!

I'd say to only mention it if it's relevant to the job, or if they ask.

Do you need any special adaptations to use standard equipment (eg phones - can you participate in telephone conferences? If so, and if these are part of the job, then definitely mention then ... but only in the negotiation stage, not in the interview unless it absolutely comes up then.

You will be covered by the other country's employment law, so you might like to research what disability discrimination provisions are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

It hasnt been mentioned at all, it will be just me going over and going through my Masters work which is relevant to the work (technical stuff), and going over my CV etc..

I can hear practically fine so unless they are whispering I dont think I will have a problem in the interview.

I was going to tell the recruiter, but it maybe putting things akward, maybe I will bring it up IF i get an offer, as nothing has been done yet of course (regarding getting the job).

thanks

JustMary wrote: »
    Contradictory advice there!

I'd say to only mention it if it's relevant to the job, or if they ask.

Do you need any special adaptations to use standard equipment (eg phones - can you participate in telephone conferences? If so, and if these are part of the job, then definitely mention then ... but only in the negotiation stage, not in the interview unless it absolutely comes up then.

You will be covered by the other country's employment law, so you might like to research what disability discrimination provisions are there.

Not contradictory. If they ask then dont hide it, if they dont ask then there isnt a need to mention it unless it will prevent you from doing the job safely or efficiently considering your travel costs are been paid for. There isnt a point in wasting your time and theirs in traveling if you know before hand that the hearing will hamper your ability to work properly.
    Interview is one thing but the job is another.
    Either way, best of luck with it.

Of course my hearing wouldnt prevent me from doing the job, my question is if I should tell them now (the recruiter) or tell them later, because I am optimistic of the job, I want to do the right thing.

Anyway, they cant discriminate because of a hearing loss on a person anyway, so if i told them about it and they backed out of the interview It would be bad on their part, they could leave themselves open to be sued even!

The website they have mentions nothing about equal opportunities and so on, unlike most companies. They seem to be a small niche company.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

If it are 100% certain it doesn't affect your job there is no reason why you should bring it up.

As for the recruitment agency being "in love" with your cv.. take that with a pinch of salt.

yes, I will relax on it.

The company are 'in love' with my cv, lol! not the recruiter.. my post grad work is interesting to them, that is why they are keen to get me over.

I have had many calls from people but this looks quite good. Its far away but what can you do since there are no opportunities here.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Anyway, they cant discriminate because of a hearing loss on a person anyway, so if i told them about it and they backed out of the interview It would be bad on their part, they could leave themselves open to be sued even!

Recruiters ain't dumb (well most of 'em ;) ) If there's any backing out, they will be giving a different reason to the real one.

Just be aware of what the overseas country is: unless you've studied their law, you can't be 100% certain that disability discrimination is illegal there.

But from what you've said, I don't see any need to mention the hearing issues to the recruiter at all. Only I'd only mention them to the company if they ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭d1975

Hi OP

I'm slightly deaf and wear 2 hearing aids, and I've never mentioned it when I've gone for interviews, and had gotten jobs, they may notice it but don't say anything, all they would care about is your able to do a job.

speaking from experience don't worry about it

d1975 wrote: »
    Hi OP

I'm slightly deaf and wear 2 hearing aids, and I've never mentioned it when I've gone for interviews, and had gotten jobs, they may notice it but don't say anything, all they would care about is your able to do a job.

speaking from experience don't worry about it

Spot on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭d1975

BTW OP I know you didn't have ur ID as you want to go private, if you like to speak to me sent me a private message if you want some advice etc.. only if you want

thanks

Advertisement