Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Charities collecting at pubs

• 28-01-2011 8:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭

So I've noticed recently in a few pubs and clubs that charities come in collecting money. Is there anyway you can prove their legitimate? People looking for money at a pub in the early hours of the morning "to build schools in Peru" doesn't make sense to me.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

They're supposed to ask the management first if they can collect. If you don't trust them, ask for i.d, or simply don't give to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

The should be barred.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

If its after 10 then i'd say its someone takin the piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

Just don't give them your money

Problem=solved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Shoe planted into the seam of the nut-purse can usually deter them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Jonah42

smk89 wrote: »
    Just don't give them your money

Problem=solved

I don't if it's after midnight, but my friend does. He once handed over a 20. I facepalmed so hard I nearly broke my nose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭macquarie

Never seen it in a club, that would look fierce strange!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Does that still happen in the Harbourmaster in the IFSC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

hondasam wrote: »
    The should be barred.

Or kicked, Or beaten,but as theyre in the pub, my personal favourite would be glassed!

Ghandee wrote: »
    Or kicked, Or beaten,but as theyre in the pub, my personal favourite would be glassed!

Id go with all three myself :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

any time they came into my old job we told them to get lost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

use the collection box as a pisser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

any time they came into my old job we told them to get lost

Same as. Can't believe some places allow it, last thing you want when you're trying to enjoy a pint!

c_man wrote: »
    Same as. Can't believe some places allow it, last thing you want when you're trying to enjoy a pint!

it used to do my head in because there is already enough charity boxes along the bar as well as random hampers behind the sticks

it used to do my head in because there is already enough charity boxes along the bar as well as random hampers behind the sticks

Not to mention all the gaa tickets that are sent round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

well it mightn't sound like a good time to gather money but when people are drunk they often become more generous and might just give a few euro in the hope they'll win the big draw - and being drunk and having a lovely looking girl sweet talking you is a great way to get the money out of the poor drunk men's pockets :pac:
    OP - when your drunk and a young fit girl starts asking for only 2 euro are you gonna tell her to feck off home - :rolleyes: nope you'll splash the cash

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    well it mightn't sound like a good time to gather money but when people are drunk they often become more generous and might just give a few euro in the hope they'll win the big draw - and being drunk and having a lovely looking girl sweet talking you is a great way to get the money out of the poor drunk men's pockets :pac:
    OP - when your drunk and a young fit girl starts asking for only 2 euro are you gonna tell her to feck off home - :rolleyes: nope you'll splash the cash

I wonder when I read this kinda comment, is the average Joe Soap man, really that desperate?

I think I'd be quick enough to tell her no. Regardless of whether it's male or female, I certainly wouldn't be reaching into my pockets on a night out in a pub/club for a charity.

I think the bloke that gives, just because it's a woman, is an innacurate stereotype. Am I wrong?

the difference is that the charity collectors in pubs are usually ex junkies

I wonder when I read this kinda comment, is the average Joe Soap man, really that desperate?

I think I'd be quick enough to tell her no. Regardless of whether it's male or female, I certainly wouldn't be reaching into my pockets on a night out in a pub/club for a charity.

I think the bloke that gives, just because it's a woman, is an innacurate stereotype. Am I wrong?

well it is a fact charities use women because the can charm the men. I don't think all men are as gullible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Jeez, what an imbecile:rolleyes:

Maybe after ramming your turgid swollen ready-to burst bellend up through her meaty pissflaps you might be tempted to make a donation.

You total gobshite buddy:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

It shouldn't happen. It's bad enough that people are constantly accosted by chuggers on the streets; they turn on the TV and it's river blindness, rape, child abuse, animal abuse etc. There's already too much of this; I saw it a couple of times in bars and it made me a tad angry.

Perhaps a good course of action is to go to the bar, order a pint and while you're seek out the manager. If you're NOT HAMMERED mention it to him that you like the bar, enjoy the craic there but don't appreciate chuggers being allowed to panhandle in the bar. Don't offer any ultimatums, just mention it. If the next time you come back they're there - let the manager know that you raised the issue before and that you're going to leave. I can guarentee you that if enough people made the manager aware that the chuggers were a problem it would stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

well it is a fact charities use women because the can charm the men. I don't think all men are as gullible.

Hardly all are gullible, some people actually like helping the less fortunate believe it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭bobblepuzzle

http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz218/darksong444/1255300164733.jpg

:D:D:D

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Nothing worse than when you are sitting down enjoying a few pints, and some guy is looking for money for reformed alcoholics...NO....feck off I need my own drinking money.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Johnny Derpp

Fair point, but I don't think it screams of desperation....just that, guy + alcohol = sucker for a pretty face.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭theavenger

MrMatisse wrote: »
    Does that still happen in the Harbourmaster in the IFSC?

Yes it still happens :mad: PAWS was the last one i remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

It can be fair annoying being hounded for money while you're trying to relax and enjoy yourself. It really shouldn't be allowed in pubs it's like taken advantage of the drunk people.

I don't want to buy a scratch card :mad: I just want to enjoy my night out!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Scam artist's as far as I'm concerned. It's bad enough having them stuck in your face outside banks and post offices. But when they start stalking us in places of recreation and relaxation, they cross a line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭smokie2008

I know a Guy who Runs a really Popular Charity selling all sorts of stuff for €2...
    He says only 10Cent out of the €2 goes to the charity, I feel so fúcking annoyed about it, I really wanna report it but I know him to well, he makes a fúcking FORTUNE from this, its a complete Scam I hate it.

My girlfriend seen the girls that work for him in a club and comes home with €20 worth of the shít cause the charity is close to her heart and she thought it was actually going to the charity.

I hadn't the heart to tell her how it actually worked.

STAY CLEAR

• Advertisement

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Hardly all are gullible, some people actually like helping the less fortunate believe it or not.

Depends on what the collection is for. I'm all for helping the less fortunate, just not all of them. There is a time and place for charities to collect but the pub is not one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

They're always legit, I won a pirate copy of the kings speech off one the other night when I bought a 5 euro raffle ticket off him.

Advertisement