Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

virus protection question

• 28-01-2011 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

hello i have never posted in this section of boards before but i was wondering if there is any reason why i shouldnt have mcafee site adviser working along with avast on my computer.
    i heard that it is bad to have two antivirus's on your computer and i was wondering would site adviser affect the running of avast.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

The "real" security issues will generally slip through the AV software. Make no mistake, the real issues caused mostly by simple buffer overflows/format string attacks WILL NOT be found by AV software. AV software is mostly a manufactured scam in my honest opinion. Bugs potentially exist in every piece of software. AV software gives you a false sense of security at a cost imo. It's better to run under a user account for day to day usage. Also use noscript to disable alot of in browser threats.

Even if the product "claims" to remove viruses, how can you actually prove this? You can't. This would require source code. You have to take the word of the company as gospel. Not good to "rely" on the broken promises of AV companies. Save your money imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,607 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ Way to derail a thread.....

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    ^ Way to derail a thread.....

Tell me about it :)

You admit you are acting like a dick, then?

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    You admit you are acting like a dick, then?

Yes

• Advertisement

Riiight....

OP: It's never a good idea to have more than one AV package installed/running. They normally don't like each other.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭MASTER...of the bra

Mcafee site advisor isin't an anti-virus so you can use it with your Avast. I use Web Of Trust (WOT) myself, same sorta program really. It can be set to block site's with bad ratings from even opening in the first place, handy.

Use Firefox with Adblock Plus (subscribe to easylist) half the bad stuff you catch on the Internet comes from ads, No-script like Naikon said is good, Foxit Reader instead of Adobes Reader, Malwarebytes, SuperAntispyware, comodo firewall, Update everything, a User account and bit of common sense.

Sounds like alot but once you have it set up your done.

Or look in to linux, Ubuntu.

Advertisement