Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Online Savings, which is best

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

For monthly savings which has best return:

Online Savings
    or
    Online Notice

?

To be honest it depends on your financial circumstances;
    online savings is for regular savings i.e. weekly/monthly and withdraw on demand and has rate of 2.25% while notice deposit 7 is for lum sum amounts and once it goes over €10k rate changes from 3% to 1.5% plus you have to give 7 days notice to withdraw

• Registered Users Posts: 45,470 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

go to Ulster, they have a 4% savings acccount with no penaltys for withdrawing instantly afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

Can you open the Ulster one in Branch or online do you know ? AIB best rates for small saver all appear to be online, their branch rates are rubbish, I was quoted 1.75% for a 30 day notice, yet I can get 3% for same amount online for a 7 day notice!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

For monthly savings which has best return:

Online Savings
    or
    Online Notice

?

Neither.

Read the best buy options here: http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=90481

There are lot's of sneaky T&C's in those AIB products.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Drexl Spivey

Fungus wrote: »
    Neither.

Read the best buy options here: http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=90481

There are lot's of sneaky T&C's in those AIB products.

Can someone tell me if i am correct:

If I have 20k on an AIB Online Deposit then my net interests after a year are 438 euros:

Gross interest 20000*1.5% = 300
    DiRT = 300*27% = 81
    Net = 300 - 81 = 219

Since interests are payed twice a year I would end up with 219*2 = 438 in a year.

Is that right?

1.5% seems very low but it is payed twice a year and there is 7 days notice whereas a plan like interest first from tsb, interests are payed once a year and the money is deposited for the 12 months.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

That account is 3% for the first 10k, 1.5% for the rest up to 100k.

Therefore 20k for 1 year would be:
    10k @ 3.0% = 300
    10k @ 1.5% = 150
    450*dirt = 328.50 for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Drexl Spivey

snubbleste wrote: »
    That account is 3% for the first 10k, 1.5% for the rest up to 100k.

Therefore 20k for 1 year would be:
    10k @ 3.0% = 300
    10k @ 1.5% = 150
    450*dirt = 328.50 for the year.

- They say the interests are paid twice a year, does that mean 164 each time?

- I see that Permanent TSB will make you a return of 489 in one year (Interest First Savings Account) and pay the interests up front...

Advertisement