Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random speeds and disconnects

Options
  • 28-01-2011 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just got set up in the last day or so and while there doesn't appear to be any downtime, the Internet does seem to disconnect at random times. Obviously this affects online gaming and browsing to a lesser extent.
    Also, the speeds are quite low, around 3mb(earlier today I obtained a speed of 6mb) download (upload seems perfect).
    Line can handle 19mb, so I may be wrong in assuming I should be getting close to 8mb.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Liamario wrote: »
    Hi,

Just got set up in the last day or so and while there doesn't appear to be any downtime, the Internet does seem to disconnect at random times. Obviously this affects online gaming and browsing to a lesser extent.
    Also, the speeds are quite low, around 3mb(earlier today I obtained a speed of 6mb) download (upload seems perfect).
    Line can handle 19mb, so I may be wrong in assuming I should be getting close to 8mb.

Thanks in advance

Hi Liamario,

Thanks for your query, and apologies for the delay getting back to you.

I would recommend that you look at the following website and try to complete the broadband checklist indicated.

http://bit.ly/aPwvTT - Broadband Checklist

This will rule in /or out if this is an internal wiring issue or a problem with the broadband connection into your premises.

Please ensure that you temporarily SHUT DOWN COMPLETELY all but ONE PC. Test your broadband speed directly on the Master phone socket (MDP) WITHOUT the adsl SPLITTER, and with no third party equipment connected to internal phoneline system (i.e, temp remove sky box(s) upstairs or downstairs, remove Fax machine(s), etc). Do not use any long private phone extension cables.

Test your broadband speed - if possible disable your firewall(s), Exit your anti-virus and don't run any high bandwidth application software like SKYPE, etc.

Once you have tested the connection as indicated on the URL above, and broadband connection is found to be OK then you know that you have an internal wiring issue.

If you are still experiencing problems after the above basic check, please Private message your home phone number.

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Kind regards

Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Hi Ant,

I kept an eye on it over the weekend and the speed seems to have improved to almost 6mb, which is slightly less than standard.
    Also, I noticed that using the vodafone router which I have, I seem to be getting greater speeds.
    The random disconnections are continuing though. If it is a wiring issue, how would I go about getting that repaired?

Thanks

Liamario wrote: »
    Hi Ant,

I kept an eye on it over the weekend and the speed seems to have improved to almost 6mb, which is slightly less than standard.
    Also, I noticed that using the vodafone router which I have, I seem to be getting greater speeds.
    The random disconnections are continuing though. If it is a wiring issue, how would I go about getting that repaired?

Thanks

Hi Liamario,

Thanks again.

If you have followed to the letter the broadband checklist advised then I can assist you right away. Please Private Message your home phone number and I can do some further tests

If you haven't completed the broadband check, then you may wish to do so and please confirm if you are unable to do, due to logistic reasons, etc.

Completing the broadband checklist will help us speed up a resolution to your broadband connection problem. As said already, it will help rule in /out if the problem is on eircom's side or if it's an internal wiring issue.

If the problem is with internal wiring then you need to get assistance from an electrician possibly, or Local Network engineering company. Most PC supply shops will be able to advise on local network engineers.

Please let me know if you need further assistance as asdvised above.

All the best
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 4 rednala

Hi Ant,
    I am having intermittent problems with 1024/128 (kbps) line. Sometimes the speed can drop to ~700 kbps and when running a speed test I get download speed of ~100 kbps. I contacted eircom last week but when I was talking to the guy the line was working fine and he couldn't find an issue. I've tried connecting at the entry point and get the same problem. Recently we had phonewatch installed - could this be an issue?

rednala wrote: »
    Hi Ant,
    I am having intermittent problems with 1024/128 (kbps) line. Sometimes the speed can drop to ~700 kbps and when running a speed test I get download speed of ~100 kbps. I contacted eircom last week but when I was talking to the guy the line was working fine and he couldn't find an issue. I've tried connecting at the entry point and get the same problem. Recently we had phonewatch installed - could this be an issue?

Hi rednala,

Thanks for your query. Apologies for the delay replying.

Again, I would recommend that you look at broadband checklist advised on the previous posts here - http://bit.ly/aPwvTT - Broadband Checklist

This will rule in /or out if this is an internal wiring issue or a problem with the broadband connection into your premises.

It will also help speed up a resolution to the fault. Attempting to complete the checks advised here will also ensure you are not accountable for a call out fee if an engineer needs to visit your premises.

Without repeating this again, please see previous advise on posts above.

If you still are experiencing the same Intermittent connection problems afterwards, please PM you home phone number details, along with your mobile phone contact for the engineer. Also please confirm that you accept call out charges if this is a non-eircom fault.

Kind regards
    Ant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 rednala

Hi Ant - Thanks for the reply. I followed the checklist items as suggested and the problem persists. Right now im getting speeds of between 700 and 1 kbps using the Eircom Broadband connection information utility for the netopia router. Eircom speed tests are giving poor results also - 0.25 mbs and 0.06 mb/s. The internet connection light is flashing green most of the time and occasionaly goes red for about 30 seconds and back to flashing green again. I have PM'd my details to you.

rednala wrote: »
    Hi Ant - Thanks for the reply. I followed the checklist items as suggested and the problem persists. Right now im getting speeds of between 700 and 1 kbps using the Eircom Broadband connection information utility for the netopia router. Eircom speed tests are giving poor results also - 0.25 mbs and 0.06 mb/s. The internet connection light is flashing green most of the time and occasionaly goes red for about 30 seconds and back to flashing green again. I have PM'd my details to you.

Thanks rednala,

I have received you PM and will look into your broadband connection problem shortly.

All the best
    Ant

Advertisement