Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Radio Production

• 28-01-2011 11:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I'm a sound engineer who holds a HND in Music Production and I'm doing a degree now.

The university radio station is unexpectedly in need of a head of the production department.

The role was set out to me as editing the pre recorded content, putting together podcasts, sorting out jingles for shows and helping presenters set up their shows with a bit of delegation to the more promising members of the production team in those areas.

The current production team can sort out the jingles as that is not my area but being an engineer I do have considerable experience in editing and creating the platform for music to be made. I have done animation work and of course a lot of work with bands. The rest of the current production team do not have this. They are all starting off with Audacity from scratch. I want to get into sound engineering education in third level so this post for the most part suits me well IMO.

I admit that I don't have the experience of producing a radio show and I have no problem in telling them that but my question is what would I need to know to be able to assist the presenters put their show together?

If the new presenters need help setting up their show I would only be able to act in an advisory role with the theory that I will research as a source but I would be calling on the experience of the regular on air talent. I would be well up for learning the role of the producer.

As this is an unexpected happening I put myself forward for the position but with emphasis on being on the engineering side of production but willing to learn the rest of it.

Thanks for the help/advice,
    bbk

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

What university are you at?

These might have some tips for your current role:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Essential-Radio-Skills-Professional-Practice/dp/0713679131

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

Hello,

Thanks for the link. I will check that out soon.

It is Queens Uni.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 183 ✭✭Paracore

poor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

bbk wrote: »
    what would I need to know to be able to assist the presenters put their show together?

If the new presenters need help setting up their show I would only be able to act in an advisory role with the theory that I will research as a source but I would be calling on the experience of the regular on air talent. I would be well up for learning the role of the producer.

Forgive me if I'm telling you what you already know.
    You'll need to know how to put a show together. Once you gather the content it's a matter of organising it and working out timings. I'd recommend listening to a lot of radio over the next few days to get an idea of how shows are put together. You'll notice that structure is important, and once a show has a structure they stick to it. Come up with a format that works for you and stick to it. That way you can start building the show in your head. For example, make sure the opening of the show is always the same; Opening Sig>Live VO>Fade Sig>First item or first track.

An example of a structure could simply be,
    Opening
    Item 1 - 10mins
    Competition - 1min
    *Break*
    Item 2 - 8mins
    Music track 1 - 3.5mins
    *Break*
    Competition reminder - 1min
    Item 3 - 6mins
    Music track 2 -3.5mins
    *Break*
    Competition winner - 1min
    End - 2min

So once this structure is set in stone use the same format for every show and tailor the content to fit in. Timings are crucial.

Advertisement