Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breach Demo just went live

• 28-01-2011 11:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭

Just letting everyone know that the Breach Demo just went live on XBLA. Supposed to be a half decent FPS for 1200 points. If it's as good as BF1943, then it's worth a look at the demo at least...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Eurogamer review slaughtered it unfortunately. I'll defo grab the demo to see the destructible terrain on show but my previous excitement has dwindled considerably. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

I generally don't put much weight behind reviews, except maybe JoyStiq. I always seem to agree with them on games. Anyway, here's a link to their review:
    http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/26/breach-review/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I generally don't put much weight behind reviews, except maybe JoyStiq. I always seem to agree with them on games. Anyway, here's a link to their review:
    http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/26/breach-review/
    Heh, I'm in the same boat although my publications of choice are Eurogamer and EDGE. :)
    And that's really what it comes down to: Everything Breach does is competent enough, but nothing truly stands out.
    The above is interesting though as it's similar to what EG said in their review yet they gave it a lower score. They also pointed out the limitations of the destructible terrain but I guess I'll see what it's like when I get the demo.

gizmo wrote: »
    Heh, I'm in the same boat although my publications of choice are Eurogamer and EDGE. :)

The above is interesting though as it's similar to what EG said in their review yet they gave it a lower score. They also pointed out the limitations of the destructible terrain but I guess I'll see what it's like when I get the demo.

I just got about half an hour on the multiplayer there. Here's my first impression of it. Do bare in mind that it's just a first impression!

This is a €15 title, so to expect something like Bad Company 2 or BlOps, would be unrealistic. This was my viewpoint going into it.

Graphics: I would say it's on par with Rainbow Six Vegas 2 but in a non-urban setting. It's functional, you won't be blown away.

Sound: Using my turtle beaches, I kept thinking someone was behind me when moving or reloading. Turned out it was my own characters sound but it was definitely coming from behind and slightly to the left... Weird... the sound on this game leaves a lot to be desired! Again, it's functional at best.

Gameplay: This is the important bit, for me anyway. How did I feel playing it? Easy controls, just the usual generic FPS layout. I got the feeling that the devs were R6V2 fans as it felt very familiar to me, especially with the cover system being in third person until you zoom. Have to admit I liked the return of that feature in a FPS. Even before the end of my first game, I was comfortable enough to start a killing spree.

Weapons: five classes but I only used the assault class with the M16, I think. Single and full auto features with an under barrel grenade launcher. This game is about controlled bursts, thank God. One reason I went off BlOps was due to spray n pray with the weapons on fully auto and still being accurate. In this game, like BFBC2, unless the target is within 15m of you, you need to place you shots carefully. My second game, I was successfully dropping targets at medium range by flicking the M16 into semi-auto when needed. Also managed to knife/melee a target in the back... no dogtags, unfortunately.

Conclusion: The jury is still out. It's not polished, far from perfect but for some reason I'm looking forward to having another bash at it in the morning. Would I immediately spend €15 on it, no, not yet but I am going to give it another few hours of my time before I decide. I only played TDM mode and I believe Convoy mode is supposed to be very good and original. I have a feeling that this game will appeal more to fans of older classic FPS games rather than newcomers to the genre, I may be wrong but that's my first impression :D

Turns out that you only get 30 minutes of live gameplay on the demo. It's not enough to convince me that it's worth €15, I felt another hour or so and I would probably have gotten into it more and have gotten a proper feel for the game. As it stands, I won't be putting my €15 into unlocking this game when I could purchase an older and far more competent FPS on the secondhand market for similar money.

My feeling is that this game just isn't up to scratch in the current market place and I was playing a very old game, perhaps even an original Xbox title. When I said the graphics were similar to Rainbow Six Vegas 2, I was being too generous. They are closer to Rainbow Six Black Arrow, than Vegas 2. The sound is hollow and adds nothing to the experience. Save your cash and put it down as a deposit on Homefront which promises a polished multiplayer experience, similar to BFBC2's squad play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

anyone else suffer from lag , it was a lag fest for me , i will not be buying this game 1200 ms points REALLY.:(

found the graphics were terrible , the sound terrible and general gameplay poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Having heard little about it, I was looking forward to see what it would be like.

Founfd the gameplay and graphics pretty poor, felt like an xbox original title. Definitely not worth 1200MS points.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭qbhod

Horrible game, a byproduct of the Call of Duty craze, publishers thinking they can throw out any military sim s**t and think people will buy into it...laughing at the 1200 MSP price tag, not sure i'd even pay 400 for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Picked it up on the PC myself abd it's woeful.
    Totally unfinished and lag is terrible. The graphics are terrible too. Throwing a grenade looks like you're throwing a picture of a grenade lol.
    There's a hint of a good game in there though if they finish it.

I fear for the future for small game developers who try to take on major titles like CoD and Battlefield. Games like Bad Company 2 and Black Ops cost in the region of €30,000,000 to produce and polish into the final product that we see released. That's the level of finance required to compete in that genre.

However, this is no excuse for these smaller developers to release sub-standard games into an already competitive marketplace of the FPS. Surely they should realise that they can't compete with what's available, so why waste time and money. Focus on a genre that doesn't have a customer base with such high expectations.

There's been plenty of XBLA games released that have been done on a low budget that have proved to be both great games and financial successes. Breach, I fear, will be neither.

• Advertisement

Just get BF 1943 instead, same price, at LEAST 10 times better than this crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

qbhod wrote: »
    Just get BF 1943 instead, same price, at LEAST 10 times better than this crap

Is bf1943 really that good?? Is there single player or is it just multiplayer?

Yea its great, pretty big Island-sized maps, land, sea and air vehicles...it is multiplayer only, something the Battlefield series is known for, even though Bad Company 1&2 had a single player campaign it accounts for about 25% of what the game was built for, which is massive online battles! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

What's the general consensus on Breach good or bad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

justryan wrote: »
    What's the general consensus on Breach good or bad?
    well i have only played the demo and imo no way is this game worth 1200 ms points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

If it was 400 points id buy it, convoy mode was pretty original.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭dunworth1

i tryed to play the demo today but i couldnt find any games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Well it's completely stuffed again today. Unable to join a single game ..just hangs on the Loading screen.

Advertisement