Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MAG Ireland - "Bikers are Voters" 2011

• 28-01-2011 11:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭

On behalf of MAG Ireland & as posted on other forums;
    MAG has drawn up a list of questions that you can ask the candidates when they come harrassing you.

We have also sent them to all the main political parties and will be posting their replies on the website as we receive them.

a linky http://www.magireland.org/2011/campaigns/bav/bikers-are-voters-2011/

The basic idea is to get issues like VAT on helmets, bus lanes etc. out there in front of the candidates. Obviously the more people who can do that, the better.

One more thing... I'm not getting into a debate on the pros or cons of this initiative on here, I'm just posting the link for the benefit of anyone who might be interested.

Cheers! CQH

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Hope it works better than the 2007 campaign! :p

I don't get 10, Is Mag asking for the use of dipped beams by cars in the day to be banned? If their is no scientific evidence to support the use of dipped beams by cars is their any scientific evidence for Bikes? Is their any that says Cars using them makes Bikes less visible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Hope it works better than the 2007 campaign! :p

I don't get 10, Is Mag asking for the use of dipped beams by cars in the day to be banned? If their is no scientific evidence to support the use of dipped beams by cars is their any scientific evidence for Bikes? Is their any that says Cars using them makes Bikes less visible?

This is my take on DRL for cars.

If a car driver can't see another car unless it has DRL on what hope have we with or without lights?

Most people apply for their 1st learners permit when they are 17-20. They do an eye test then and for the vast majority of drivers never need their eyes tested again. If they make an eye test part of licence renewal then cars won't need DRL's as everyone would have acceptable vision and any crashes are down to not paying attention and should be treated as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭BlackBlade

everyone has a mag badge but nobody knows what they actually do :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

Like the idea from MAG but not sure I'm with them on all 10 points, but I definitely think VAT should be reduced for safety gear!

Cheers to the OP for posting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Link wont work for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I can't open the link

But I remember the VAT on safety equipment on the list being a point, would definitely like to see that followed up

• Registered Users Posts: 44 grumpybore

Curious to see MAG Ireland mentioned again ....I was a fully paid up member for years ,even before the Carol Nash Insurance days ,which resulted in numbers going up considerably .I agree with the Bikers are voters idea ...and its worthwhile ,I think ,asking the canvassers bike related questions .....they may remember these because they are different from the usual questions about the economy etc, but its better to stick to one or 2 topics ...bus lanes ,vat on safety clothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

For those who couldn't open the link:
    The coming General Election gives us, as Riders, a vital opportunity to voice our opinion to the candidates and bring issues to the fore.
    Don’t waste your chance to be heard!
    Use these questions to establish your local candidate’s position on these issues and vote accordingly. Remind candidates of the wider circle of voters you can influence: friends, relatives,workmates. If your candidate won’t stand still long enough to answer all the questions, give him/her a leaflet to take away. Ask the
    questions and…
    Vote bike!

Candidate questionnaire:
    1. Do you agree that motorcycles,scooters and mopeds are part of the solution to traffic congestion?
    2. Do you agree that charging 21% VAT on Personal Protective Equipment is counterproductive to safety and are you willing to promote a much lower rate in the interests of road safety?
    3. Do you recognise that the current state of our secondary roads poses a major hazard to motorcyclists and are you willing to increase the funding to Councils so that secondary roads are made safer?
    4. Should motorcyclists in the interest of safety be allowed to use bus lanes as is custom and practice in many other European countries?
    5. Should motorcyclists be subjected to tolls in addition to VRT, VAT, Excise Duty, Road Tax and the Insurance Levy?
    6. Do you agree that the current tax bands for motorcycles are a disincentive to users of smaller bikes?
    7. Do you agree, in the interests of reducing traffic congestion, that secure free parking should be provided for motorcyles?
    8. In light of the fact that less than 1% of motorcycle accidents are due to roadworthiness issues, do you agree that the introduction of NCT for bikes is just a money making exercise and has no impact on road safety?
    9. Do you agree that the blanket introduction of a 30kph speed limit on key arterial routes is not a safety issue and in fact only endangers road users who try to drive at these limits.
    10. As there is no scientific evidence that the use of dipped beams on cars reduces the incidents of road accidents, should such use should not be discouraged, thus leaving motorcyclists the opportunity to use their lights to make themselves more visible?

The Irish Motorcyclists Action Group. 1b Ring Tce. Inchicore, D8. Tel: 01 4530797 Fax 01 4533643

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

carsQhere Does MAG plan on publishing replies from parties/candidates on the website? Has MAG contacted parties for their response?

I noticed Atheist Ireland has a smiler idea with a list of questions and replies from candidates on their site.

People could email responses they get to be added to the site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

Yes and yes. Apparently the link not working was down to a problem with the hosting provider, the whole site was offline for a time due to a server outage.

According to the mag office there has been no formal reply from any of the parties so far.

I'll post on this thread as/when I hear more on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

point 10 makes no sense

dipped lights magically make bikes visible, while having no such effect on cars ... wtf

lights on at all times, for all vehicles is my motto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

pa990 wrote: »
    point 10 makes no sense
    dipped lights magically make bikes visible, while having no such effect on cars ... wtf

I think the point was that with cars running dipped beams during the day, bikes are just lost in a sea of lights, whereas with bikes using dipped beams (and the cars not) they stand out from the cars. The RSA (I think) wanted all drivers to use dipped beams in daylight. There were radio ads encouraging it during a trial that was run to see if it cut accidents.

But you're right, the way it's stated there in the MAG document doesn't do MAG any favours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

carsQhere wrote: »
    I think the point was that with cars running dipped beams during the day, bikes are just lost in a sea of lights, whereas with bikes using dipped beams (and the cars not) they stand out from the cars. The RSA (I think) wanted all drivers to use dipped beams in daylight. There were radio ads encouraging it during a trial that was run to see if it cut accidents.

But you're right, the way it's stated there in the MAG document doesn't do MAG any favours.

I thought the new EU rule had running lights always on for cars, and headlights only for bikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Banditboy_irl

Now thers a crowd ive not heard of in years ... MAG

Advertisement