Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

issueing of restricted firearms in thurlas

Options
  • 28-01-2011 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

hi all
    im just wondering i have applyed for a marlin 38sp/357 to be use in gallery comps. im in a club and attend Competition's where i use my 10/22. however im wondering is chief super catherine keogh issueing restricted firearms (rifle) any info you can give on this would be helpful :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Savage93

She was in Gorey prior her promotion ans my local sergeant (a gent , now retired) always said she thoroughly disliked "guns", having said that I never had a problem with her, always dealt through him. Your "good reason" is what'll make the difference here, sport , competition, club should convince her, what's your relationship with your FO like, this will also carry great sway if he's in your corner, think it's spelt Kehoe and not Keogh.

Good luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

dax121 wrote: »
    hi all
    im just wondering i have applyed for a marlin 38sp/357 to be use in gallery comps. im in a club and attend Competition's where i use my 10/22. however im wondering is chief super catherine keogh issueing restricted firearms (rifle) any info you can give on this would be helpful :)

How long ago did you apply ?

I would make it known to your FO that you would be more than willing to meet with the CS if in the event she is inclined to not licence restricted firearms. That way you get to ask and possibly assure over her concerns as most likely she doesnt even know what you are applying for only that it is condsidered "more dangerous" because of the restricted/non restricted classification.

Fine rifle too. Id love a lever action myself but Ive already got 4 restricted firearms :(

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dax121

Savage93 wrote: »
    She was in Gorey prior her promotion ans my local sergeant (a gent , now retired) always said she thoroughly disliked "guns", having said that I never had a problem with her, always dealt through him. Your "good reason" is what'll make the difference here, sport , competition, club should convince her, what's your relationship with your FO like, this will also carry great sway if he's in your corner, think it's spelt Kehoe and not Keogh.

Good luck!!

im competeing in competition's with my 10/22 and getting on ok. ive given the results in with my application. im also in fermoy rifle club and they have most of their work done to bring them into line with these new guidelines. i had a great relationship with my FO. until he retired just before x mass :eek: so the new FO dont know me at all so im hopeing he mite refer CS to my old FO. who im sure will give me a glowing report as i have dealt with him with years. i have all the security requirements also. so a decision is due on it feb 10.

How long ago did you apply ?

I would make it known to your FO that you would be more than willing to meet with the CS if in the event she is inclined to not licence restricted firearms. That way you get to ask and possibly assure over her concerns as most likely she doesnt even know what you are applying for only that it is condsidered "more dangerous" because of the restricted/non restricted classification.

Fine rifle too. Id love a lever action myself but Ive already got 4 restricted firearms :(

a decision is due on the 10 of feb. i have actually being in contact with the CS clerk trying to get a meeting with the her. but the application was stuck in a pile in my local super's office. so i had to go chase it down and try get him to look at it before it could be sent to thurlas. now i have being told it was sent last thur/fri. so mid week ill ring the CS clerk and get a meeting with her.
    yes their a nice rifle cant wait to get mine. so whats the difference between 4 or 5 restricted ;)

a decision is due on the 10 of feb. i have actually being in contact with the CS clerk trying to get a meeting with the her. but the application was stuck in a pile in my local super's office. so i had to go chase it down and try get him to look at it before it could be sent to thurlas. now i have being told it was sent last thur/fri. so mid week ill ring the CS clerk and get a meeting with her.
    yes their a nice rifle cant wait to get mine. so whats the difference between 4 or 5 restricted ;)

Sounds like your on top if it, either way let us know how ya got on and best of luck :)

• Advertisement

met with the CS and she has no problem issueing me a cert for one of these :D however it has to be the one that has the 20in barrel. the one i had got has a 18.5 in barrel. so im gonna have to get a different firearm but at least she will issue it when i get a 20in one.

met with the CS and she has no problem issueing me a cert for one of these :D however it has to be the one that has the 20in barrel. the one i had got has a 18.5 in barrel. so im gonna have to get a different firearm but at least she will issue it when i get a 20in one.

A woman arguing over an inch and a half.... lol....

Wel done though getting your result :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Why only a 20" barrel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

It's an odd arbitrary requirement - she may well have looked it up and as Marlin make most of their rifles in both 18.5" and 20" barrell - may well have decided to be awkward.

The 20" if in the hexagonal barrell is considerably heavier - but I never liked the heavy barrell myself so it may not be an issue for others - but I have seen people use them to great effect.

I still find the number odd as it does not tally with anything in law.

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

18.5" doesn't tally, but if the choice is between 18.5" and 20" and 20" is being specified, my guess is that the CS is looking at section 12A(6)(b) which prohibits possession of a rifle with a barrel shorter than 50cm (19.68"):
    (6) It is an offence for a person (except a registered firearms dealer) to possess without lawful authority or reasonable excuse—
    (a) a shot-gun the barrel of which is less than 61 centimetres in length,
    (b) a rifle the barrel of which is less than 50 centimetres in length,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Nothing illegal about having one.

Key phrase being:
    without lawful authority

Namely a license - which she is not willing to issue.

B'Man

B'man,
    (a) we don't know whether or not that applies yet, we've not had a suitable test case in the courts for a definitive opinion (and really, that'd be a pretty trivial thing to take a test case over given the cost of one); and
    (b) I said that that's what the CS was probably looking at; I didn't say the CS was right to be looking at that (because it's currently a gray area).

Sparks wrote: »
    18.5" doesn't tally, but if the choice is between 18.5" and 20" and 20" is being specified, my guess is that the CS is looking at section 12A(6)(b) which prohibits possession of a rifle with a barrel shorter than 50cm (19.68"):
    ur right sparks that is what she was on about. she printed to off for me and hi lighted it. im just happy that she will issue it once i have the 20in barrel. also the 18.5 is 6lb and the 20in one is 6.5lb so not much in the difference :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Put a 1.5in Muzzle Break on, and there's your 20inches sorted!;)

if only it was that easy :D

if only it was that easy :D

It actually wouls be that easy.

A RFD threads the barrel and after attaching the muzzle brake welds it in place.

Its common place in other countries where ive seen 4" brakes welded onto 12" barrels.

As to if a muzzle brake is allowed in competition.... I cant answer that.

GH

It's a messy bit of law dax :(
    The actual law itself comes down to what "lawful authority" means in the act in this specific case. Unfortunately, since you don't already have the licence, you're on the back foot - a CS citing this as the reason for a refusal versus you saying that the licence is sufficient lawful authority, that's a call that would have to be made in a court, no matter what anyone else tells you. And I have no idea which way the judge would go, it really is that messy.

And whether a muzzle brake or a bloop tube (when permanently fixed in place) constitute barrel extensions... I'm not sure. I'd lean towards no for the bloop tube because it's usually wider on its inside diameter than the barrel is on the outside. A muzzle brake might be, even a silencer might be.

Thing is, if the CS is saying you can't have the 18.5" barrel, but you can have the 20" barrel, well, as the bishop said to the altar boy, does that inch-and-a-half really make that much difference to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Sparks wrote: »
    It's a messy bit of law dax :(
    The actual law itself comes down to what "lawful authority" means in the act in this specific case. Unfortunately, since you don't already have the licence, you're on the back foot - a CS citing this as the reason for a refusal versus you saying that the licence is sufficient lawful authority, that's a call that would have to be made in a court, no matter what anyone else tells you. And I have no idea which way the judge would go, it really is that messy.

And whether a muzzle brake or a bloop tube (when permanently fixed in place) constitute barrel extensions... I'm not sure. I'd lean towards no for the bloop tube because it's usually wider on its inside diameter than the barrel is on the outside. A muzzle brake might be, even a silencer might be.

Thing is, if the CS is saying you can't have the 18.5" barrel, but you can have the 20" barrel, well, as the bishop said to the altar boy, does that inch-and-a-half really make that much difference to you?

Buy a Lilja barrel 20" and have a really accurate 10/22 win/win

sam@intershoot.co.uk can get them, you still keep your 10/22 and she's happy with the extra
    1.5 inches ;)

im gonna go with the 20" barrel no point looking for a way around it. its more expensive but at least ill get it. if i go to court for the 18.5" it would end up costing me more in the long run. i was chatting to sam for intershoot and they can sort me out :D

Advertisement