Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your First Time

Options
  • 28-01-2011 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭

Please do not turn this into another thread about the Stratford/New Stadium debate. There is already a Thread for that entitled 'New Stadium. Thanks.

I really enjoyed watching those videos that Reckless posted and made me think I'd like to share my memories of the first match I went to. I think it would be interesting to hear other posters first memories of watching Spurs no matter how old or new your experience was.

For me its was November 1977 at home against Burnley. We won 3-0, with goals from Hoddle, McNab and Taylor. We were in the old 2nd Division at the time but just for the one season as we got promoted back up at the first time of asking.

If I'm honest I can't remember much about the game itself being just 7 at the time, but I do remember being awe of what I perceived as the vast amount of people cramming inside a stadium to watch 90 minutes of football and I remember the noise of the crowd, even when they were quiet they were noisy.

I think it cost around 40 pence for me to get in as a junior and it was about 90 pence for an adult. Standing of course. Paxton road End.

There were no fancy catering areas in those days. The choice was tea, coffee, bovril and pies. There also used to be girls who walked around the pitch side at half time that sold crisps (only salted flavour), cadbury chocolate bars and orange drinks. Oh and lest I forget the peanut sellers who weaved their way through the mass hoards of fans in the standing sections carrying their sack full of peanut bags, shouting out PEANUTS, PEANUTS, every 15 seconds or so.

Of course I have many other memories but whatever it was on that first time, I was hooked. Could have bought a second home twice over with the money I've spent following them since but sure at the end of the day you can't take it with you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭galinka

Think it was 1990 - League Cup v Forest replay and we lost a cracker 3-2 - i can remember Nayim and Walsh scored for us.
    18 months later we beat them at Wembley in the FA Cup final - never thought it would happen that night.
    Bought a ticket in the afternoon from ticket office!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

First time was in Tolka in August 94, Jurgen scoring in a one nil win, I was a kid, went home beaming that night.

First across the water was in Feb 2000, beaten 1 nil by Chelsea. I was in the Park Lane, and I remember Wise giving us plenty of stick after the game. Some crack after the game. I was a teenager and was with my brother who was a few years older. Went in to covent garden after the game. The brother bought champagne for some reason about 11 that night, I fell asleep in the jax in some club after 1 glass, he kicked the door down, and carried me about 3 miles back to the hotel. The next day, we missed the train to the airport and had to get a cab, I was in the back with a bucket all he way, and we just about made the flight. I still dont know how they let me on as the brother was virtually still carrying me at that stage. A great memory :D

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭wellboys

My Dad took me to the Lane for the last home game of the 04/05 season! It was against Blackburn and it turned out to be a poor 0-0 draw.. Even with the lack of goals the atmosphere was out of this world.. Robbie Savage got some savage abuse!

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

wellboys wrote: »
    Robbie Savage got some savage abuse!

Well derserved abuse imo. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

Hatch99 wrote: »
    First time was in Tolka in August 94, Jurgen scoring in a one nil win, I was a kid, went home beaming that night.

was at that game too! :D

.. im a villa fan just came across this :-p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭fabvinny

first game of the 85-86 season,waddle and paul allen made thier debuts that day in a 4-0 win againt watford.wonderful day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I'm a good bit younger than most here, my first time was only in the 2000-2001 season against Newcastle at the Lane (New Years day 2001 I think!!), we won 4-2 in a great game, can't really remember the scores but I'm fairly sure Anderton and Ferdinand both scored (one a penalty) and I think Rebrov scored. There was also a red card but I can't remember for who. Great day out though. Atmosphere was electric.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

22/04/89
    Spurs 2 (Walsh 2) Everton 1

Still one of the best days of my life

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭slegs

22/04/89
    Spurs 2 (Walsh 2) Everton 1

Still one of the best days of my life

Meaningless but curious fact..

I share the exact same name and birthday as the scorer above. He is 10 years to the day older than me.

With me being a Spurs fan it was a spooky coincidence to find out!

Advertisement