Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

custom 204

Options
  • 28-01-2011 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭

Anyone on here shooting a custom built 204 or factory rifle with custom barrel in 204.
    If so what barrel and twist rate did you go for and how accurate is it ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

zeissman wrote: »
    Anyone on here shooting a custom built 204 or factory rifle with custom barrel in 204.

Tomcat220 is AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

I have a match barrel with a 1/12 twist .Its shoots the 45gr hornady and 32gr well , the 39 sbk very well.If you want to shoot the 40 gr then go for 1/11 twist .

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

tomcat220t wrote: »
    I have a match barrel with a 1/12 twist .Its shoots the 45gr hornady and 32gr well , the 39 sbk very well.If you want to shoot the 40 gr then go for 1/11 twist .

My remmy shoots the 39gr well too but it wont shoot the 40gr.
    I spent a few quid on a new stock, trigger and bolt knob so I will probably rebarrel it sometime in the future.
    I see border barrels do a 1/10 twist and lothar walther do a 1/12 and a 1/10 twist but not a 1/11 which is the twist I would go for.
    Pac-nor 1/11 twist barrels seem to be popular in the states but im not sure if they are available here.
    What make is your rifle tomcat220t and did you see a big improvement with the match barrel ?

Mine is a lothar walther match grade on a trued remmy action.If built well .2-.3" (5 shot groups)at 100 yards is quite normal with factory ammo .I think Krieger make a 1/11 barrel for the .204 ;).How well does your factory setup shoot ?

Mine is a lothar walther match grade on a trued remmy action.If built well .2-.3" (5 shot groups)at 100 yards is quite normal with factory ammo .I think Krieger make a 1/11 barrel for the .204 ;).How well does your factory setup shoot ?

Im getting .5in 5 shot groups at 100 yards with the 39gr which is ok I suppose. Had a ruger vt before that and it was shooting tighter.
    I shot a few 1.5in groups at 400 yards with the ruger in perfect conditions.
    I really regret selling that rifle.
    I wil carry on shooting the remmy until I see a drop off in accuracy and then rebarrel it.
    Who done the work on your rifle ?

• Advertisement

John Greene in Waterford built it and i could not be any happier with the rifle .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭dan17

ah lads stop teasing im waiting nearly four months now for a liecence on my 204.. full paid and a nightforce 8-32 in a box on the shelf to go on it...but they sure do sound good...someone told me john greene has a fully custom built one in his shop and he is hitting a steel dong at 800yrds with it..:eek:

dan17 wrote: »
    ah lads stop teasing im waiting nearly four months now for a liecence on my 204.. full paid and a nightforce 8-32 in a box on the shelf to go on it...but they sure do sound good...someone told me john greene has a fully custom built one in his shop and he is hitting a steel dong at 800yrds with it..:eek:
    What make of .204 have ya baught ?

John Greene in Waterford built it and i could not be any happier with the rifle .

Howz yer other build getting on??

Howz yer other build getting on??
    Which one?

• Advertisement

Which one?

Now I "is" confused, I thought there was only 1 other one 6XC?

Now I "is" confused, I thought there was only 1 other one 6XC?
    Im sure you "is" confused quite a bit ,tack:p.6XC is ok .Always looking for something better;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭dan17

What make of .204 have ya baught ?

I bought a remy 700 sps stainless. Got it on sale one day when i was doing xmas shopping and just happened into landers in tralee and for the money couldnt leave without paying for it.. I have the intention of putting a new stock on it as the sps stock is ment to be a bit flimsey...and a rebarrel if funds are there..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

dan17 wrote: »
    I have the intention of putting a new stock on it as the sps stock is ment to be a bit flimsey....

+1 on that! A new stock will bring that gun a long way!;)

Im getting .5in 5 shot groups at 100 yards with the 39gr which is ok I suppose. Had a ruger vt before that and it was shooting tighter.
    I shot a few 1.5in groups at 400 yards with the ruger in perfect conditions.
    I really regret selling that rifle.
    I wil carry on shooting the remmy until I see a drop off in accuracy and then rebarrel it.
    Who done the work on your rifle ?
    1.5" @400 yards from a factory rifle is very good ,imo .What ammo??

the Federal stuff with the 39 grain head.

the Federal stuff with the 39 grain head.
    Factory ammo ? If so, i can see why you were sorry about selling it.Match barrel should give ya around 1" @ 450 yards in ideal conditions .

Factory ammo ? If so, i can see why you were sorry about selling it.Match barrel should give ya around 1" @ 450 yards in ideal conditions .

yeah factory federal but it shot the 40 gr vmax as well.
    What bullets do you find the best in your match barrel tomcat ?

yeah factory federal but it shot the 40 gr vmax as well.
    What bullets do you find the best in your match barrel tomcat ?
    I have an exact 1/12 twist match grade ,lothar walter ,25" fluted barrel.Its shooting the federal 39gr sbk so consistent ,its crazy !The 45gr hornady, having a shorter bearing surface than the 40gr hornady works very well but not quite as accurate as the 39gr sbk .The 40gr will only shoot .5-.75 moa, at best !Lots of top barrel makers supplying 1/11 twist to suit the 40gr.If your set on wanting to shoot the 40gr get it built with a 1/11 twist barrel but i think for extended ranges on the .204 the 39gr sbk is still going to be the better choice over the 40gr hornady .How well did your ruger shoot the 40gr ?

The ruger shot the 40 gr hornady between .25 and .5 inches at 100 yards.
    The 39 does seem to be the best bullet overall.
    I will probably go for a 1/11 twist barrel to be safe as I could be unlucky and get a 1/12 that wont shoot the 39s or 40s.
    I must give john greene a call for a chat about it.
    Whats the best time and day to ring him tomcatt ?

• Advertisement

The ruger shot the 40 gr hornady between .25 and .5 inches at 100 yards.
    The 39 does seem to be the best bullet overall.
    I will probably go for a 1/11 twist barrel to be safe as I could be unlucky and get a 1/12 that wont shoot the 39s or 40s.
    I must give john greene a call for a chat about it.
    Whats the best time and day to ring him tomcatt ?
    Not sure what time or day would best suit to contact john ....i now use the services of IRELAND CUSTOM RIFLE in athlone (086-3260735) who is in the middle of building a .204 with a 1/11 cut match barrel, for a friend of mine .I have a good feeling that it could even out shoot my current .204 setup .:DBest of luck who ever you get to do your work .

Advertisement