Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DNS confusion

Options
  • 28-01-2011 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭

I use dyndns.com and I've purchased a top level domain which I set up a redirect to the dynamic http://address.

1. Is there any way to go to my-top-level-domain-name.com/[directory of dynamic host address here]?

anytime I try it 404's, what am I missing?

2. How do I host a subdomain going through the TLD name on iis? I understand about the seperate headers needing to be set in iis and subdomains work if I goto the dyndns address, but not the TLD name.

ie, I want to be able to go to www.subdomain.TLDname.com :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭t1mm

I used zoneedit.com when I was running my own web server. You need to go to your domain registrar, and remove the domain forward. Then you need to edit the DNS Server details on your registrar to reflect your DNS Provider, in your case they're probably:

ns1.dyndns.org
    ns2.dyndns.org

I'm not 100% sure about those - you'll probably find more information on dyndns's website. With zoneedit I had to create an "A" Record, I'm not sure how DynDNS handles these.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭CSU

thanks t1mm,

I don't want to change my provider from dyndns as Google has indexed several weeks of pages under the current name .
    I still cannot understand how this works, my setup is now:

Server (five subdomain headers set (IIS))--->dyndns.com (mysite.dyndns.org)--->blacknight registered TLD

On Friday I set the nameservers in blacknight to the dyndns ones, but can't understand 'how' I get from TLD.com to a subdomain on my server? How does dyndns 'know' what my subdomains are on my machine???

I have set the subdoamin on blacknight---> subdomain.TLD.com, and in-turn the header of my subdomain in IIS reflects this. Again, I can't see how a request get's from www.subdomain.TLD.com--->dyndns.com's nameservers--->IIS subdomain.........how does dyndns 'know' the names of the subdomain's on my server??

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭t1mm

I'm not sure about the subdomains. A previous host I used had a feature whereby subdomain.website.tld would effectively serve website.tld/subdomain. I'm not familiar with DynDNS though to be honest.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Edit: Give this a read - http://content.websitegear.com/article/subdomain_setup.htm

Advertisement