Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seafood sticks?

Options
  • 28-01-2011 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I can't stand them but I have seen them chopped up in seafood cocktail and also sliced in fish bases soups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I think they taste disgusting and the texture is fowl.

I have seen them used as crudites with dips when cooked.

When I was on a (previous) diet years ago I used to eat them as they were very low fat with a crab taste. I've grown up since then and realised how artificial they are!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

OP.

These are sold battered and deep fried in the aussie equivalent of chippers.

With tartare sauce they are awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Plowman wrote: »

Nope, chippers arent open late in Australia :) Its hunger food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Surimi is the name for this kind of product, It's usually made from fish like Alaska Pollock that are caught on large factory ships and processed at sea.
    The Japanese make all kinds of things out of surimi, and the Eastern Europeans have developed a taste for it as it was extensively used in Soviet Russia to make otherwise inexpensive or bony fish usable.

The original use for surimi was making things like fish balls from fish fillets, and this is still done today, in fact you can make really nice fish cakes if you use the same process to remove the flesh from whitefish fillets.

I use a dessert spoon and scrape the fillet gently as if you are trying to remove the surface, keep wiping the material that collects on the spoon off into a bowl. Eventually you will end up with a bowl full of fish pulp and the skin and connective tissue is left together and is thrown away.
    If you make fish cakes this way they have a smooth texture and do not break up as easily as whole fillets put through a mincer or food processor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I'd say people usually use them for sushi. They do look very unappetising though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

I'vv often wondered what these are too, but never took the plunge and bought them. Are they "painted" pink to make them look natural? I saw something like that being done in "Britain's Really Disgusting Food". :eek:

If you've never seen that show before I can only recommend it. The presenter, Alex Riley, is a headcase! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Jumpy wrote: »
    Nope, chippers arent open late in Australia :) Its hunger food.
    Never once seen them in a chipper, I'd go to a lot of seafood places and found the standard to be brilliant. Often the chipper doubles as a fish monger

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Surimi are really popular in France althoguh personally I don't care much for them. If you must buy them, get a good quality brand as the cheap versions are revolting. They're usually eaten as is, dipped in mayonnaise, or torn into thin strips and mixed with shredded chicken, carrot and lettuce. They taste best this way, I find.

• Advertisement
Advertisement