Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do a lot of heavy metal music people..

• 29-01-2011 12:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭

get into the whole Devil worship thing?

Seen it happen to a few friends :( Is it a puberty thing or what?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

What kinda people you hanging around with??? All of the metal heads I know/knew don't associate the two at all....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I know a lot of people into metal but not into superstition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭stevejr

To get into Bruxelles,..perhaps.

What's the reason for being reasonable?

Is that an unreasonable question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

There's a difference between "heavy metal music people" and "attention seekers".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

What exactly are they doing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Cos everyone knows the Devil has the best music.;)

Seriously though,its all a load of bollocks.The over whelming majority of metal heads dont associate with that kind of rubbish.

Besides,Satanism has a bad rap,its far from being all about sacrificing virgins and burning churchs.

Like everything,a very small few like Varg Vikernes for example take it extreme levels,the rest are just posers trying to be cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Metallergy

it has its merits though. you could argue they had foresight.. or that it's best thing for the kids to be listening to, as an educational tool.

"corruption breeds a pedophile, don't pray for the priest"

Slayer - Cult

"seen a lot of holy, seen a lot of damned, see the children hurt, by the preacher man"

Danzig - Killing Floor

- the extreme "divilment" is a response to hardcore "holiness" accepted in many walks of life, which causes bigotry division and war

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭alandublin15

parents too strict, didnt fit in with any other 'click' , want independence and/or attention.

People once said this was a bad influence and conjured terrible connotations...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z-hEyVQDRA

Turned out it was feckin' excellent!

As others have said above, it's a lot to do with attention-seeking.
    The rest of us just enjoy the feckin' stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

Pretty sure it's not puberty... The Devil has been growing under arm hair for a century or two...

• Advertisement

actual devil worship? i remember me n maher up in the forest in kingswood held a ritual to summon, wait for it, "Jakomiah" the weather demon. Jakomiah... make it raiiiiiin.. it fúckin rained :eek: we were only jerkin about and with a few cans of scrumpy ffs.. but he gave us the attention we did seek!

It's all a load of bollocks, folks, just enjoy the music!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Fcuk the devil heres...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

The Devil was actually the nickname of a heavy metal guitar player named Xavi Honderich. He was into all sorts of sick stuff and used to behead and mutilate animals during performances. In 1979 he was found dead in his home by suicide. After searching the house police found several suspected pedophile priests who had been missing for over a year, all murdered with evidence of extreme torture. Snuff videos were also found with the filming of each of the priests final moments but were never released and later destroyed by an unknown 3rd party. Also something that was never resolved by the police was the identity of the 2nd suspected murderer who could be heard talking behind the camera while filming the last priests final moments. The most notable thing the man, presumed to be German or German decent said was,
    "Der Herr wird nie steigen während ich die Erde wandeln."
    Police never discovered the identity of the man and gave up on the case in 1981.
    Ever since Metal bands have often associated themselves with the devil while rocking out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

no different from people following god ,

its still a load of fairy tale bollocks

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Elohim

Not sure if ya can worship the devil and listen to Lady Gaga's music at the same time, it just doesn't seem to work.

So I'd say it's devil worshipers (or people who think this is cool) that decide to listen to heavy metal rather than metal fans suddenly becoming devil worshipers.

initiate yourselves. and never forget your roots

i bet emo's are all over this nowadays =(

DaDumTish wrote: »
    no different from people following god ,

its still a load of fairy tale bollocks

Doesn't matter what you believe in, it's just good music!
    For example Metallica's Master Of Puppets...! oh yes :)

troll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Maybe they prefer the one who killed less people in the bible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Debthree

if you add 1 letter to the words heavy, metal and music you'll end up with three six letter words i.e. 666. :eek:

Anyway, seriously, I don't know anyone who associates the two but there were a lot of rumours about Led Zeppelin back in the 70s. They weren't devil worshippers (!) but Jimmy Page in particular was very interested in the occult - being interested in it and actually engaging in it are very different things though. Oh but apparently the band sold their souls to the devil in return for the glory that is Stairway to Heaven. But we all get bored some days.

Metallergy wrote: »
    troll

Ah, come on! Surely we've all grown since then? eh?!

Ah, come on! Surely we've all grown since then? eh?!

we have...

but personally i didn't think metallica could grow any more popular.

makes the king of pop appear underground.. which of course he is :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭blindpilot

its a choice thing. Big gang of us grew up listening to metal, all bar one thought the devil worship thing was great. he has since been discarded as he's just too full on with the whole religion thing. Actually he seems quite insane. To celebrate this lets have:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭wild_cat

Its to do with the dark imagery.

These guys used to scare me as a kid!

Then in secondary school I saw some goths singing it and I really got scared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 xuan xuan

Debthree wrote: »

Anyway, seriously, I don't know anyone who associates the two but there were a lot of rumours about Led Zeppelin back in the 70s. They weren't devil worshippers (!) but Jimmy Page in particular was very interested in the occult - being interested in it and actually engaging in it are very different things though. Oh but apparently the band sold their souls to the devil in return for the glory that is Stairway to Heaven. But we all get bored some days.

Nor is interest in the occult necessarily/usually anything to do with devil-worship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

- 'Satanism' is not to be confused with 'Devil Worshipping'
    - Not everybody interested in Satanism likes Metal, Classic is popular as well
    - Not every musician claiming to be a Satanist is one. Most of them seem to boost their image and sell more stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Is this thread for real? I've been a metal fan since primary school, and my older brother and two older sisters are also metal heads. Most of my friends are huge metal fans too. I don't think I know as much as one devil worshipper though.

Don't get me wrong. A lot of the stuff I listen to is "Fcuk God" kinda stuff, but you take it with a grain of salt. Although you might sing along or whatever, you don't actually get behind the lyrics. In fact some of them are so cheesy, it's actually cringe-worthy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I'm into metal, and I'm also anti-religion. And unless I'm mistaken, Satanism is a form of a religion.

Also; "puberty", cause that's always the reason for anything to ever happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Denny M wrote: »
    I'm into metal, and I'm also anti-religion. And unless I'm mistaken, Satanism is a form of a religion.

Also; "puberty", cause that's always the reason for anything to ever happen.

Satanism can be a form of religion, at least we have the Church of Satan, which were founded as a religion...but not every Satanist is a member with them or likes them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Brandog

Could also be a power thing with some people.Adds a bit to their rep in their minds,all dark and scary.Was a time the christian right tried to associate metal with psycopaths and homicidal maniacs until they dug deeper and found out them freaks tended to come from over zealous moralistic god bothering families.Metal is what it is and won't appeal to all.Hail Satan!!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

The American 'Christian' Right would be a leading cause of Satanism, I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

There's a bit of musicology here too: Black Sabbath defined the early Metal sound, and they took their name from an early song they wrote. Bassist Geezer Butler was reading about witchcraft and the song came from a strange dream he had. The main riff uses a musical "tritone", something that sounds so "horrible" that it was shunned by classical composers and called "diabolus in musica": the "Devil in Music". So, the link between Metal and "satanism" was established early on: it could hardly get more "counterculture" than that in the 60s... :cool:

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

loved metal since a child, first album roots by sepultura at 8ish. Same as my sister, although she started off on acdc. None of my friends or I would ever be into something like that, or have anything in common belief wise, they just like metal too. Maybe it's black metal people you know in norway :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Long time metal fan here, my Dad gave me his Black Sabbath tapes when I was 11/12. Honestly some of the devil stuff I think - is done tongue in cheek and some of the gore lyrics - Death, Cannibal Corpse etc, is for shock value, it is easy to shock the American right after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

never known anyone who was into metal that was also into that :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Never really noticed it meself either. I have known people over the years thinking they where devil worshippers just so people would think they where cool or something like that but never seen any of me metal friends sacrifice a goat or anything like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

A lot of metal bands make reference to Aleister Crowley teachings who was into the occult and black magic. He was given the title 'The worlds most evil man' by the press but preferred his self given title of 'The Great Beast 666'. Teenagers as we know are prone to latching on to anything which is not mainstream-hence their interest in some heavy metal music.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Brandog

bnt wrote: »
    There's a bit of musicology here too: Black Sabbath defined the early Metal sound, and they took their name from an early song they wrote. Bassist Geezer Butler was reading about witchcraft and the song came from a strange dream he had. The main riff uses a musical "tritone", something that sounds so "horrible" that it was shunned by classical composers and called "diabolus in musica": the "Devil in Music". So, the link between Metal and "satanism" was established early on: it could hardly get more "counterculture" than that in the 60s... :cool:

Spot on and to take it a step further.The tritone was banned by the vatican hence the avoidance of most classical composers as it was deemed to be of the lower nature hence of Satan.Rock n'roll and especially blues began to use it in the early years and all the kids noticed their lower nature was very nice and led to boyfriends/girlfriends etc and on into the 60's when the lads showed up dressed in black playing music of the libido.
    Funny thing about Crowley is that he devised his "Magick" as a means to aid society.He had a nasty coke and heroine habit that near finished him until he figured out his formulae and incantations that evoked the lower nature or primal consciousness.He wanted society to use them as he believed it cured his addictions.Of course Page and Plant took it to a new level with the inflatable shark!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Amber Lamps

a far cry from having to disect a tape and turn the reels around

and in all its glory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

loved metal since a child, first album roots by sepultura at 8ish. Same as my sister, although she started off on acdc. None of my friends or I would ever be into something like that, or have anything in common belief wise, they just like metal too. Maybe it's black metal people you know in norway :p

Ahhh...the memories... I remember seeing ACDC in concert many moons ago when I was pregers with my first child. Angus left the stage to join his followers in the audience and I subsequently got buried underneath a ton of his followers-scary stuff...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Why do a lot of heavy metal music people..hate all music that isn't metal

fyp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭messymess

The funny thing is to worship the devil, you also have to acknowledge that there's a god, heaven, angels etc, the whole deal. They are as deluded as their god loving counterparts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭messymess

Because these people never discovered mdma and the power a good dance :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

The Devil was actually the nickname of a heavy metal guitar player named Xavi Honderich. He was into all sorts of sick stuff and used to behead and mutilate animals during performances. In 1979 he was found dead in his home by suicide. After searching the house police found several suspected pedophile priests who had been missing for over a year, all murdered with evidence of extreme torture. Snuff videos were also found with the filming of each of the priests final moments but were never released and later destroyed by an unknown 3rd party. Also something that was never resolved by the police was the identity of the 2nd suspected murderer who could be heard talking behind the camera while filming the last priests final moments. The most notable thing the man, presumed to be German or German decent said was,
    "Der Herr wird nie steigen während ich die Erde wandeln."
    Police never discovered the identity of the man and gave up on the case in 1981.
    Ever since Metal bands have often associated themselves with the devil while rocking out.
    I've just looked this up and I don't find anything about it. Do you have a ref for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

Quote:
    fyp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭Degag

I think what confuses people alot is that they think that just because a band sings about War, Murder, Nazism etc that they support it. A bit like Slayer and "Angel of Death" There was huge controversy when it was released and the band were accused of being Nazi Supporters etc, but in actual fact, it was just a subject that interested them.

Kick ass song though!

Proxy wrote: »
    I've just looked this up and I don't find anything about it. Do you have a ref for it?
    Your innocence is magnificent :D
    Stay out of politics, your pure mind will be corrupted :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Not one of my buddies would be remotely interested in Satanism and going back through the years I think some of them used an ouija board and had the ****e frightened out of them...where did they run... to the Catholic Church to be blessed.

As mentioned before the Church of Satan is a religion but doesnt support worship or have a belief in the devil.

Varg Vikernes is an Odinist not a Satanist but also is a bellend of the highest order with very racist views. Love his music tho.

May I ask how your buddies participate in Devil Worship?

• Advertisement
Advertisement