Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What 24 - 27" Monitor?

Options
  • 29-01-2011 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a new monitor. I've a Benq 24" LED Monitor and a Dell 2407. Plan to sell both and go for a 26/27" monitor..

Can anyone recommend one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

I'm in the market for one or two as well.. but you'll want to provide approx budget, and main purpose etc :)

(btw, why are you getting rid of the ones you have? just for the size difference?)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Main purpose is general use, website work and occasional phot editing... Selling the two I have as I'm getting a new PC and can get a new monitor bundled with it at a discount..

Was thinking of a dell U2410.. Seems to get very good reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Maj Malfunction

I'm in the market for a new monitor too!

I'm currently running 2 x Samsung 21" 204B's, but one of them has developed a nice green vertical stripe 2 pixels wide :(

I'm mainly using the PC for CAD/Ground modelling, gaming & photo editing.

Choices to date are:

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=MMEV320055

or maybe one of these:

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE2045715

but i'm open to suggestions :D

Update: Decided to go with a Dell U2410. They are not exactly cheap, but ideal for photo editing and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Alexco

Hi Maj

Im looking for new Dell U2410 also.
    Apart from Dell any ideas on where to get a good deal ??
    Last time i looked was over €600 from Dell site.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Alexco wrote: »
    Hi Maj

Im looking for new Dell U2410 also.
    Apart from Dell any ideas on where to get a good deal ??
    Last time i looked was over €600 from Dell site.

Try ebay, few sellers selling them new for about £400 or less with full warranty..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Alexco

Thanks unklerosco

Will check ebay out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

I've found the following options:

hardwareversand.de - Eur 488 add Eur 30 for shipping

http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=32528&agid=367

Overclockers.co.uk - GBP469 (Eur 548) add E14 for shipping

dabs.ie Eur 531 (new) - Eur 425 (used) - Ex Shipping (indough)

http://www.dabs.ie/products/dell-24--wide-6ms-dvi-hdmi-lcd-monitor-6N69.html

hardwareversand.de looks to be the winner on price. I checked with overclockers.co.uk and all their U2410's are revision A05 or later and are colour calibrated at the factory (If your serious about image editing etc, this is good to know!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

the used one on dabs is 425 plus shipping but no idea what revision it is

Dabs are certainly offering a good deal and offer a 90 day warranty.

The current revision of these monitors is A05, apparently some of the earlier models A01 & A02 used to suffer from colour bleeding/streaking and other such issues.

I think I'll drop dabs an email and find out what Rev it is. Ebay has some good deals too, just be careful thou some of the U2410's on offer don't seem to have a HDMI port if your looking to occasionally use a console or something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Make sure any one you get is 16:10 not 16:9 !!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Anyone got any recommendations for a 24" monitor for around the €200? Need it for gaming mainly so doesn't need to have amazing picture or anything. I was looking at this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

If anyone here is still thinking of a U2410, I'd recommend it in a second. Got one on Adverts for €300 myself. :)

Wonderful monitor. The contrast ratio alone blows my old Ultrasharp 2208WFP out of the water. At first the whites were so bright I was getting headaches. After a day or two though, I got used to it and was fine. The downside of course being that my laptop's plain LCD looks horribly washed out in comparison.

I went ahead and bought a U2410 and I have to say I'm delighted with it. It makes every other LCD monitor I've ever owned look really poor.

For photo editing its the business! You start to see different shades of colours that you never saw previously. Contrast is brilliant, colours are vibrant.

For movies and gaming its spot on. 6ms response time is not an issue.

In summary:

If you got the budget or can stretch to it, get one of these, they are that good.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭PaulPinnacle

If you got the budget or can stretch to it, get one of these, they are that good.
    You're killing me with this thread :p

I was looking to grab a relatively cheap and cheerful monitor, more than anything to simply increase viewable area and hopefully increase productivity. (At the moment, just to be used with a laptop, but down the line to hopefully be used with a new desktop [I'll be bugging for help there within a few weeks all going well] with a dual monitor setup)

It wouldn't be used for much gaming or photo editing (at least, not the initial intended use... but who knows down the line), so hard to justify the extra cost of the U2410, but obviously I'd love to grab something that is as high a quality as possible and as future proof as possible.

For 'average' use (mostly bashing out work related stuff, a high level of browsing for work, the odd DVD and general use), would the difference in quality still be worth it?

(I'm sure the answer for me should be 'no', but I'm sorely tempted - anything I go over and above on the monitor now would basically limit me with the build down the line, so potentially cost me adding a SSD to a future build which might be far more beneficial in the long run)

I had been looking at something along the lines of the Iiyama 2409HDS, but while that covers most of what I'm looking for from a 'spec' pov (HDMI, 1080p, 22"-24", low 2ms response time, decent brightness and contrast, etc.) but I've no idea how it actually looks in practise.

I know Iiyama have a pretty good reputation, but has anyone any experience with that one? Would I be better dropping back to one of the 22" versions that have improved quality elsewhere? Or is there another 24" I should consider (possibly the Benq G2420HD)?

The more I read up on them and look at the various options, the more confused I'm getting. So any comments or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Based on what your looking to use the monitor for IMO it's probably better to go with the Iiyama and save your money.

You get the extra desktop space that your after and you could have two of them for the price of one U2410! :D

An SSD is a good investment too, it makes a noticeable difference to load times.

Advertisement