Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

is multiroom on sky possible with upc broadband?

• 29-01-2011 1:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭

Iv got sky hd and upc broadband but no phone with them. Can I get sky hd multiroom with this setup?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

you technically need a phone line for the special multiroom pricing or else you could have a €120 sub and sell copy (worth €120 a month) to someone across town for €20 a month and it would cost you €15 a month max.

If you use Freesat HD 2nd & 3rd etc boxes, then no phone line and no subscription.

No phone needed for 2nd full price Sky Sub.

The Skyboxes may or may not successfully "phone home" on a UPC phone line.

Three ways to have "multiroom" Satellite on UPC
    1) Pay full 2nd sub for whatever package you want on 2nd Sky box, no phone line.
    2) Get UPC phone and hope it works, cheap Sky Multiroom prices
    3) Just use Free channels on other rooms. Once off Freesat HD box purchase. Use Saorview for free Irish channels (6 now, 9 later)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

UPC phone service will work with the sky digiboxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Yes, probably. Though UPC won't promise it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭cgarvey

digiman wrote: »
    Iv got sky hd and upc broadband but no phone with them. Can I get sky hd multiroom with this setup?

No, or at least not whilst being compliant with Sky T&C (requiring all Multiroom boxes being connected to the same phone line at all times).

You can get UPC phone service for €6/month which will allow you to then get Multiroom from Sky. Like Watty says, they won't guarantee it, but I have it writing that it is suitable for a fax machine (which generally means Sky's modems will be fine). It works for anyone I've heard who has tried it, and it works fine for me. Just keep the length of line between the Sky box and the router short for best results. Long lines (over 20-30m) work for me, but the Sky box will often fail to connect on the first attempt (but fine on the subsequent one), which is still fine for Multiroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭digiman

Thanks for the replies guys. Actually don't think I will bother with this now, I basically have a spare 24" moniter now bit I am just going to plug my laptop into it and use skyplayer to watch the channels and I should be able to get the irish channels through that magnet internet tv. Will save me a few bob instead for all the time I will watch it anyway in the other room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Kensington wrote: »
    UPC phone service will work with the sky digiboxes.

Anytime I tried UPC phonelines for sky they have failed, most recently within the last week...

Advertisement