Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Substititing TVP Soya Mince for Minced meat in recipies

Options
  • 29-01-2011 2:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone could help me with using TVP soya mince in a dish instead of minced meat?

If the receipe says 200g of minced meat, would that be 200g of soya mince.

Also would be able to advise how much dried soya mince would make 200g of reconstituted soya mince?

Thanks in advance if anyone can help me.

EDIT: got my thread title the wrong way round but can't change it! Apologies.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

cant be too far off I'd say. I never use that stuff but basically, if it looks the same :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

My kitchen scales' battery died recently so I can't help with the weight, but 200g mince meat should be just under a cup* per volume. Dried tvp will usually double its volume once reconstituted. (I checked this now. It was exactly double :))
    So you'd simply need to measure out around half a cup of soya mince and reconstitute it with boiling water. I'd season it a little more than I would meat.

*225g meat is a cup, as per googling. 1 measuring cup = 16 tbsp. So 200g meat is around 14 tbsp, but it depends so much on how packed it is and the particle size that I wouldn't worry too much about the difference.

Hope it helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 babouska

I use Quorn mince because I find it far tastier and superior to tvp and there is no reconstituting involved either so you could basically go weight for weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭perfectisthe

Like anothernight said, it basically doubles in size. When you're reconstituting it I'd use vegatable stock, a dash of soya sauce, some herbs (rosemary, oregano and thyme seem to work pretty well) and a pinch of smoked paprika. TVP can be a bit bland if its reconstituted with just water.

Advertisement