Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Donegal town suffers....

Options
  • 29-01-2011 2:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭

Apart from the news of Gallaghers more or less closing (there is more to this AFIK) I hear that Concarrs and Givens shops are closing in Ardara after decades of trading and two pubs also are to close in the village. This is a sad example of the demise of not just Ardara but Donegal a story that is happening all over the county, we are a county that has been forgotten about and it seems to go on and on....:mad::(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

All these closures are very sad and a sign of the times but its not as if its only happening in Donegal.

I'm sure there are villages and towns the length of Ireland that could give you similar examples of closures and job losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

Given's? Oh no, the first family we ever stayed with as "visitors", way back, 1960's. Many emergency items, towels, sheets, socks even a bathing costume or two have been bought in there. Kind of a family tradition for us. The Given's bags were highly prized as holiday souveniers.

Tell me it aint so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'm sure there are villages and towns the length of Ireland that could give you similar examples of closures and job losses.

Unfortunately no - Donegal seems to be getting hammered fairly heavily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Is it a definite that they are closing?

I heard about Givens a few months ago but some people I said it to said it was just a rumour. It's too bad if it is true, it's a great wee shop. I don't know of any other shop like it in SW Donegal since Thompsons and Kearneys closed in Donegal town!

It will only get worse once Gallaghers shuts its doors. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Unfortunately, there is no future for towns like this along the west coast. Look at the IDA, choosing to focus on Letterkenny only for inward investment.

Urban living is something that Ireland will need to embrace. We can't continuing building scatter houses all over the countryside, and expect city-like services

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

Letterkenny as urban living centre is not going to give it anything - it needs trade routes and opportunity - Derry is just too close. Unfortunately given its lack of care under ff it is hardly to become anything more than a play of currency. Donegal town didn't even have this dignity it needed political pull and its ff td and tanaiste did nothing for it - she should be ashamed and pulled on this and her failure(s).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Carrickman wrote: »
    Apart from the news of Gallaghers more or less closing (there is more to this AFIK) I hear that Concarrs and Givens shops are closing in Ardara after decades of trading and two pubs also are to close in the village. This is a sad example of the demise of not just Ardara but Donegal a story that is happening all over the county, we are a county that has been forgotten about and it seems to go on and on....:mad::(

I agree, Iv noticed over the years how the powers that be neglect Donegal, and Cavan too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

we are losing our manufacturing industries. Letterkenny is purely retail and services. Oatfield sweets is one of the oldest manufacturers in the county and they are also closing soon.. Fruit of the Loom, Unifi and Abbotts are long gone

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭puffdragon

Travelled to Sligo on Thursday last and heading home to Donegal I thought I'd have my usual breakfast stop in Grange , but the wee restaurant is closed now, Wheelers it was called, my God it used to be busy enough for so many years before, was shocked enough by that so headed on to Ballyshannon , again the diamond area seems to be all closed up and most shops have "for sale" signs in the windows, the only place to eat there seemed to be a pub on the far side of the bridge, not much chance of me getting parked there! , ended up in the John Dory in stranorlar, but sure I was nearly home by then. Nice fish though , worth the wait!!

Sad to hear about Ardara bakery, I did a lot of work there while it was being extended and dont really like to think of the people I met there being out of work, salt of the earth people every one!!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Wheelers is gone? Seriously? Wow. This country really is getting more ****ed by the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

puffdragon wrote: »
    Travelled to Sligo on Thursday last and heading home to Donegal I thought I'd have my usual breakfast stop in Grange , but the wee restaurant is closed now, Wheelers it was called, my God it used to be busy enough for so many years before, was shocked enough by that so headed on to Ballyshannon , again the diamond area seems to be all closed up and most shops have "for sale" signs in the windows, the only place to eat there seemed to be a pub on the far side of the bridge, not much chance of me getting parked there! , ended up in the John Dory in stranorlar, but sure I was nearly home by then. Nice fish though , worth the wait!!

Sad to hear about Ardara bakery, I did a lot of work there while it was being extended and dont really like to think of the people I met there being out of work, salt of the earth people every one!!

No, not wheelers!

Still there's always a Supermacs between Galway and Donegal. *pukes*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

Seen a sign on the Cope House bar in Killybegs stating they are only open Friday to Sunday another sign of the times!

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

Seen a sign on the Cope House bar in Killybegs stating they are only open Friday to Sunday another sign of the times!
    just seen that the bayview hotel [link is on breakingnews.ie ] in killybegs closed last night . 35 jobs lost . donegal is getting hit hard alright .
    so remember folks who caused this mess when yous go into that voting booth .
    i have nothing to do with any political party whatsoever but for such a beautiful county .yous deserve better .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Dr. Fell

we are losing our manufacturing industries. Letterkenny is purely retail and services. Oatfield sweets is one of the oldest manufacturers in the county and they are also closing soon.. Fruit of the Loom, Unifi and Abbotts are long gone
    The Unifi site, which had the largest factory in the NW was sold off to developers at the hight of the boom, to build what? More f-ing houses-flats-retail. Total lack of foresight of the government, IDA, Donegal CC and Letterkenny UDC. Madness. Imagine if Intel pulled out of Leixlip and Sisk or whoever being allowed to rip down the factory to build apartments? On a cold day in hell!

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

I was listening to Highland as that Bayview story twisted and turned, extraordinary. Good news about Gallaghers, tho'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

<snip>

Very sad to hear about small businesses closing in Ardara though. There is little enough on the west coast. We cannot afford to lose any more.. AS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Mod note: I know your new here annascott but you cannot post an outburst like you just did, please read the Charter before you post on here again, mainly this bit...
    charter wrote:
    Libel/Defimation:
    Do not post anything that can be considered as being libelous – E.g.- ABC Ltd based in Ballykissmearse have a reputation for ????? or the Scotchmsity pub serves drink to under 18’s or the XYZ Hotel is filthy. All such comments could lead to court proceedings against boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Defamation/libel is something we cannot expose boards.ie to

annascott wrote: »
    <snip>

Very sad to hear about small businesses closing in Ardara though. There is little enough on the west coast. We cannot afford to lose any more.. AS.
    Eekk controversial:o

• Advertisement

muffler wrote: »
    Defamation/libel is something we cannot expose boards.ie to

I have to agree with you there I seen that comment and it is a shocking thing to say on a public message board.

just seen that the bayview hotel [link is on breakingnews.ie ] in killybegs closed last night . 35 jobs lost . donegal is getting hit hard alright
    As far as I know this is a dispute between the shareholders and the hotel will reopen again as it doing well business wise and has a lot of bookings in the upcoming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I have to agree with you there I seen that comment and it is a shocking thing to say on a public message board.
    I think its because I did a slight bit of editing of my own quoted post but I have now lost the thanks tab.....so just to say thanks Carrickman :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

I see planning notice in paper seeking to change O2 shop Donegal to a fast food take away ! NO !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Oh good God, not another one! Who is the applicant?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

The estate agent across the street

byte

irish1967 wrote: »
    The estate agent across the street
    I thought he owned it?

Anyway, we don't need another fast food gaff, IMO.

Unless it's a proper pizzaria. mmmmmmmmm. PIZZA!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

It beats me how O2 think they are going to get new business in Donegal.. There's no O2 shop between Sligo and Letterkenny, and I don't think a phone is something you'd buy online.
    This will prob lead to new customers buying Vodafone, Meteor, & Three mobiles, yet in order to have 99% coverage O2 will have to maintain their network across the whole of Donegal.

No to pizza btw... let there be KFC! Please..... :D

byte

Firblog wrote: »
    It beats me how O2 think they are going to get new business in Donegal.. There's no O2 shop between Sligo and Letterkenny, and I don't think a phone is something you'd buy online.
    This will prob lead to new customers buying Vodafone, Meteor, & Three mobiles, yet in order to have 99% coverage O2 will have to maintain their network across the whole of Donegal.

No to pizza btw... let there be KFC! Please..... :D
    Yeah, there was some sort of change with O2 and the likes of Alpha Communications, whereby Alpha lost the o2 agency.

Now the O2 shop is gone, as is Alpha (think they're in Bundoran).

So now, it's solely Vodafone in the town.

As for KFC... suppose it'd be alright, though doubt there'd be enough footfall to warrant the franchise licence?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

irish1967 wrote: »
    I see planning notice in paper seeking to change O2 shop Donegal to a fast food take away ! NO !!

That would be the fifth fast food outlet in the town?

Ridiculous.

Advertisement