Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Donegal town suffers....

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭md23040

Another terrible blow has been dealt to the local economy with the closure of Flanagan’s on Friday. A couple of weeks ago bought some furniture from them and the shop seemed to be busy enough.

Although the reality is that in order to compete, margins have taken a hammering with 25% discounts etc across the board, and with the cost of doing business it obviously was extremely difficult. Discounts of 25% reduces profitability by 50% on a 100% margin product.

Possibly the 2% increase on VAT in the December budget was the straw that broke the camel’s back. How many other retailers are in a similar position and hanging on by the finger nails in sensitive border area’s that might follow a similar fate soon.

Grim times remain and again government has failed border regions, albeit these decisions are made outside Ireland. For every loser though there is a winner (sick really)

Irish VAT rise could boost Northern Ireland retailers

Edit add/on : The news wires of BBC and Highland have changed from Liquidation earlier this morning to now the company negotiating to survive - wish the staff and Brian Flanagan as much luck for a positive outcome.

Efforts underway to save jobs at Flanagan’s Furniture

The Mayor of Buncrana says the town has been devastated by the news that over forty jobs are under threat at Flanagan’s Furniture.

The company closed its doors on Friday.Buncrana Mayor Nicolas Crosson said the news came as a great shock but the owner of the company, Brian Flanagan is making every effort to keep the business operating.

Councillor Nicholas Crossan says every effort will be made to retain the jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭martyeds

I see Proctors have closed in the shopping centre in Letterkenny also. I thought that place was doing well. Always a good few members of staff working in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have been in Flanagans in Buncrana about 5 times in the last 12 months, and I was usually the only person in it. Always seemed too quiet to me. Plus a lot of their furniture is expensive, which isn't a good thing in a recession.

Shame and another sad bit of news for Donegal. I hope they can survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

bohsboy wrote: »
    That would be the fifth fast food outlet in the town?

Ridiculous.

It has reopened now selling some antiques and some pieces that are old but not antique...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭mikeyboy

martyeds wrote: »
    I see Proctors have closed in the shopping centre in Letterkenny also. I thought that place was doing well. Always a good few members of staff working in it.

Down to the ongoing dispute about the rents being charged in the Shopping Centre.

From "The Donegal News"
    Brendan Proctor had been in talks with the owners of the shopping centre, Harcourt Developments, owned by Buncrana man Pat Doherty, for some months but failed to get a reduction in the rent charged.

An emotional Mr Proctor told the Donegal News on Wednesday that he felt very sorry for his staff, particularly in the run up to Christmas, to be losing their jobs.

“Rents are no longer sustainable and I have spent the last three years trying to get some sort of sense from the landlord. Staying on is only creating more debt. It is unfortunate, you can only go for so long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Was in there yesterday, noticed that it was closed but just thought they'd decided not to open on a Sunday. Must've been very tough decision to make so close to christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

You would think a LL would rather drop rent than have no tenent at all :confused: I don't know the shop or it's location but any premises left vacant now will probably be that way for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

md23040 wrote: »
    Another Sad Day For Donegal Retailers -Flanagans Closed. How Many Will Follow

i forsee a lot (if not clsoures there will be staff layoffs), due to the vat rises people will go north just because even if you dont save that much

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Ford4000

Well to clarify on the Ardara situation, Givens didnt close it was taken over by new management (2 of the girls that have worked there for years) so i cant forsee any big change there, they had a fashion show last Friday inhouse which was a huge successs i was doing mc for it, Concarrs not to close either i doubt, of the 2 pubs that were to close or 3 i may add....The Hills is closed and for sale for a very small fee from what i hear, The Owentucker previously Dessies previously Brennans is now The Heritage Bar under new management, The Green house is now open at weekends !
    2 new businesses opened in Ardara a Barbers and a Flower shop and both seem to be doing ok, a greengrocers opened but didnt survive long as a veg man comes to the diamond every few days and is well established.
    a chinese is on the way
    Last weekend in Ardara there was a good few things on and all were well attended and there was a great buzz about,
    As a small town Ardara is struggling through the recesssion a little better than most from what i can see

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Following on from the above post, anytime I pass through Ardara, it always seems to have a buzz about it, especially at weekends so fair play to the locals for that.

As to the OP, any post that starts with "I hear" should be rethought and especially when the post is in relation to "hearing" about things like businesses closing down.

• Advertisement

Following on from the above post, anytime I pass through Ardara, it always seems to have a buzz about it, especially at weekends so fair play to the locals for that.

As to the OP, any post that starts with "I hear" should be rethought and especially when the post is in relation to "hearing" about things like businesses closing down.

Excellent point im very very surprised the mods didnt pick up on that
    Its the very same thing as someone running down a business or making an adverse comment on a business as saying without proper info that it is set to close, both have a detrimental effect on the business or a persons thinking of the business,
    Wakey wakey mods :D;):p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Keep on topic If you've a problem with how the forum is run PM a mod.

Ford4000 wrote: »
    Excellent point im very very surprised the mods didnt pick up on that
    Its the very same thing as someone running down a business or making an adverse comment on a business as saying without proper info that it is set to close, both have a detrimental effect on the business or a persons thinking of the business,
    Wakey wakey mods :D;):p

Regardless of how many smilies you put in your post, if you have a problem with a post use the report post function, its that simple.

And FYI not one post on this thread starts with "I hear", one post says "I heard about that a month ago" that same post goes on to say that it was a rumour.

In future I won't be so nice and you'll be dealt with accordingly, like I've said if you have a problem with a post use the report post function, if the problem is with the modding of the forum PM one of us, end of :D;):P ect ect.....

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

And McGlincheys Mace in Glenties closed down a few weeks ago. I was in glenties one Saturday recently in the middle of the day and it was like 7am on a Sunday morning it was so quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Well to clarify on the Ardara situation, Givens didnt close it was taken over by new management (2 of the girls that have worked there for years) so i cant forsee any big change there, they had a fashion show last Friday inhouse which was a huge successs i was doing mc for it, Concarrs not to close either i doubt, of the 2 pubs that were to close or 3 i may add....The Hills is closed and for sale for a very small fee from what i hear, The Owentucker previously Dessies previously Brennans is now The Heritage Bar under new management, The Green house is now open at weekends !
    2 new businesses opened in Ardara a Barbers and a Flower shop and both seem to be doing ok, a greengrocers opened but didnt survive long as a veg man comes to the diamond every few days and is well established.
    a chinese is on the way
    Last weekend in Ardara there was a good few things on and all were well attended and there was a great buzz about,
    As a small town Ardara is struggling through the recesssion a little better than most from what i can see

All good news, an Gallagher's is going well on the fresh bread section!

Glenman wrote: »
    And McGlincheys Mace in Glenties closed down a few weeks ago. I was in glenties one Saturday recently in the middle of the day and it was like 7am on a Sunday morning it was so quiet.

Glenties is shocking quiet alright McGlincheys is reopened as Happy Days which aint so bad at least its not a door closed altogether, The Limelight only bein open once a month had a huge impact on Glenties pub trade too I used t work in Roddys and he tells me its gone down ver badly

Keep on topic If you've a problem with how the forum is run PM a mod.

Regardless of how many smilies you put in your post, if you have a problem with a post use the report post function, its that simple.

And FYI not one post on this thread starts with "I hear", one post says "I heard about that a month ago" that same post goes on to say that it was a rumour.

In future I won't be so nice and you'll be dealt with accordingly, like I've said if you have a problem with a post use the report post function, if the problem is with the modding of the forum PM one of us, end of :D;):P ect ect.....

Dear God i was just trying to be light hearted about it for a bit a fun no malice whatsoever meant ...:eek:

....runs away ......:(

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I didnt see anything funny in your comments. All I seen was back seat modding and an attempt to undermine the moderators of this forum.

Tread carefully.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Glenties is shocking quiet alright McGlincheys is reopened as Happy Days which aint so bad at least its not a door closed altogether, The Limelight only bein open once a month had a huge impact on Glenties pub trade too I used t work in Roddys and he tells me its gone down ver badly
    Woah, the Limelight only open once a month now?

It used to be quite a busy venue. How times change, I guess.

byte wrote: »
    Woah, the Limelight only open once a month now?

It used to be quite a busy venue. How times change, I guess.

Yes indeed it was a very busy spot, it used to be a tad dated and dare i say smelly and dirty, but now its fully refurbished state of the art really nice but no ones going :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

a lot of young people have emigrated or saving up to leave, pubs & nightclubs will feel the pinch because of this, as will musicians or anyone involved in the music business

• Advertisement
Advertisement