Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from NUIM

• 29-01-2011 4:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭

It's clear that the mod has some personal issue with me, in fact you'll note he called me a dickhead in thread today :) Banned before for 1 week for personally abusing a poster who I had no idea was a poster. Now 1 month for asking a question, a valid one. Complete joke.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

For the record, I uphold the ban I issued (I recieved no PM).

Here is the thread in question.

I issued an in thread warning here, and placed a further warning in the title.

This is LeixlipRed's reply.

While it is very civil, it argues my moderation in thread, so I acted as I promised.

The issue of banning LeixlipRed for a week can be found here.

I have absolutely no issues with LeixlipRed, or any agendas against him.

EDIT: Apologies I received a PM as I was replying (at 3.17am)

Further Edit: The ban is for one month, but will be lifted when the MSU elections are over which is usually late February.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

It'll be lifted before that because it's ridiculous. I asked a valid question as your post was nonsensical. You need evidence before criticising someone's politics? Evidence that their opinion digresses from yours?

I never received any infractions before these bans either. Will a CMod actually look at this? Because the last time the ban was up and no one had even responded? What's the point of this forum if these queries aren't answered in a timely fashion? I'd still like the previous ban reversed too because that was farcical too. Soon we'll be unable to berate the FF lads because boards accounts can be produced in retrospect to show that they are "technically" posters :rolleyes:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

History has shown that anything other than a zero-tolerence policy when dealing with SU elections quickly turns into a farce.

I'm upholding the ban for on-thread discussion of moderation. It's generally a boards.ie-wide rule that you cannot argue with the moderator on the thread. The onus is on the poster to make sure that their post doesn't violate the charter.

With regard to the word "dickhead", the warning could possibly have been better worded to make it obvious that it applied to all. Especially given that the universal use of words like "muppet" or "dickhead" to describe a generality of unacceptable behaviours. A wording like "Warning to all: don't be a dickhead" may have been more suitable.

I've changed the warning accordingly.

You haven't even addressed my post. Nor in the other thread. Will the mod be receiving a ban or infraction? No of course not. I'd argue that calling me a dickhead was a more serious offence than either of the two things I got banned for. I wouldn't have banned someone on my forum for calling another poster a dickhead, I'd have infracted them. How is a 1 month ban appropriate? The questions I posted were valid ones. The dictator mod thing might be appropriate in forums were you get a high percentage of trolls/wums. How exactly is it appropriate in a small forum like NUIM?

• Advertisement

I can see how you may think I called you a dickhead, but it really wasn't my intention. If I thought you were acting like one, I would have banned you before posting the warning.

I honestly have nothing against you (I don't even know you!), but calling my actions dictatoral and things like this PM are really trying my patience:
    LeixlipRed wrote:
    See thread in dispute resolution, no way you're getting away with this one. 1 month is farcical, you just randomly pressed buttons there.

'Getting away with this one"? Is this some sort of Saturday morning cartoon for you?

I'll say it once more, then I'm letting the Admins make the final decision.

I stated that anyone who argues with my warning post will be banned until the elections are over. You argued. You got banned for the specified time. I stand by my decision.

But the rules you laid down were not clear, not though out in my opinion. You seemed to be implying that it was not ok to criticise someone running in the SU elections unless you had "hard evidence" against them. I don't want to convict these people of crimes, I want to criticise their politics. It's a matter of opinion. You stifled the debate before it began. The reason I suggest a personal tone to it is because I have no doubt there'll be criticisms of people thrown around but not the hard-line stuff that I'll be throwing at them, hence I felt that was only aimed at me.

But, I will admit, I do sometimes take a deliberately antagonistic line with some posters. That's because they're full of **** when it comes to political matters. I feel that by banning me you lose a poster who is capable of raising the right sort of debate needed during these tough times for the general student populace. Most people will want to know how many lollipops people are handing out where as I'll want to know what these people will be doing to organise and mobilise students to fight against the introduction of fees and the cutting of student grants. It's a shame and I really feel the ban is way over the top. You don't have to ban someone because they questioned you on thread. It'd be different if I replied, "aww, that's retarded". I didn't, I asked valid questions. You could have PMed me answering those questions and warning me that if I did it again I'd be banned. In summary, it's just way over the top in my opinion and added to my frustration from the previous ban which I feel was unjust.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

He can ban you because you questioned him on-thread. That's my final decision on this matter.

For one month? With no warning or infraction? Admin please.

Actually, forget about it. Stupid, petty disagreement. Apologies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement