Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dissolution of Dáil on Tuesday - What will Cowen say?

• 29-01-2011 4:55am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

So Cowen gets to address the nation effectively. What will he say?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭blindpilot

darkman2 wrote: »

That it wasn't his fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I'm drafting his speech at the moment. I'm sure he'll throw in a few ad-libs, though.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

He wishes he built a national stadium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Don't give a ****e what he has to say , he didn't say much the last few years.

I'm sure he will fade off into the background and hang up his muddy welly boots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Well he wont say sorry for leaving the mess they caused and just head off into the sunset with a massive pay off, will never have to pay for a liter of petrol tax his car ect, were really he sould be taken away to mountjoy on tuesday along with bertie,creevy,and a couple of prison vans more of FF,ers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭TheGodBen

"mumble mumble mumble we are where we are mumble mumble mumble going forward mumble mumble nasal congestion mumble mumble mumble mumble difficult decisions for the good of the country mumble mumble my glorious re-election as Taoiseach mumble mumble mumble it was all John Gormley's fault mumble mumble"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

"Sure we'll be grand sure"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

That Ireland is a "knowledge economy".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

"brb golf"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

This is the 37th time I have spoken to you from this office, where so many decisions have been made that shaped the history of this Nation. Each time I have done so to discuss with you some matter that I believe affected the national interest.

In all the decisions I have made in my public life, I have always tried to do what was best for the Nation. Throughout the long and difficult period of the Recession, I have felt it was my duty to persevere, to make every possible effort to complete the term of office to which you elected me.
    In the past few days, however, it has become evident to me that I no longer have a strong enough political base in the Dail to justify continuing that effort. As long as there was such a base, I felt strongly that it was necessary to see the constitutional process through to its conclusion, that to do otherwise would be unfaithful to the spirit of that deliberately difficult process and a dangerously destabilizing precedent for the future.
    But with the disappearance of that base, I now believe that the constitutional purpose has been served, and there is no longer a need for the process to be prolonged.

I would have preferred to carry through to the finish whatever the personal agony it would have involved, and my family unanimously urged me to do so. But the interest of the Nation must always come before any personal considerations.

From the discussions I have had with party leaders, I have concluded that because of the Golfgate matter I might not have the support of the Dail that I would consider necessary to back the very difficult decisions and carry out the duties of this office in the way the interests of the Nation would require.

I have never been a quitter. To leave office before my term is completed is abhorrent to every instinct in my body. But as Taoiseach, I must put the interest of Ireland first. Ireland needs a full-time President and a full-time Dail, particularly at this time with problems we face at home and abroad.
    To continue to fight through the months ahead for my personal vindication would almost totally absorb the time and attention of both the President and the Dail in a period when our entire focus should be on the recession at home.

Therefore, I shall dissolve the Dáil effective at noon tomorrow.

As I recall the high hopes for Ireland with which we began this third term, I feel a great sadness that I will not be here in this office working on your behalf to achieve those hopes in the next 21/2 years.

In passing this office to the next, I also do so with the profound sense of the weight of responsibility that will fall on his shoulders tomorrow and, therefore, of the understanding, the patience, the cooperation he will need from all Irishmen. As he assumes that responsibility, he will deserve the help and the support of all of us. As we look to the future, the first essential is to begin healing the wounds of this Nation, to put the bitterness and divisions of the recent past behind us, and to rediscover those shared ideals that lie at the heart of our strength and unity as a great and as a free people.

By taking this action, I hope that I will have hastened the start of that process of healing which is so desperately needed in Ireland.
    I regret deeply any injuries that may have been done in the course of the events that led to this decision. I would say only that if some of my Judgments were wrong, and some were wrong, they were made in what I believed at the time to be the best interest of the Nation.
    To those who have stood with me during these past difficult months, to my family, my friends, to many others who joined in supporting my cause because they believed it was right, I will be eternally grateful for your support.

And to those who have not felt able to give me your support, let me say I leave with no bitterness toward those who have opposed me, because all of us, in the final analysis, have been concerned with the good of the country, however our judgments might differ.

So, let us all now join together in affirming that common commitment and in helping our new Taoiseach succeed for the benefit of all Irishmen.
    I shall leave this office with regret at not completing my term, but with gratitude for the privilege of serving as your Taoiseach for the past 2.1/2 years. These years have been a momentous time in the history of our Nation and the world. They have been a time of achievement in which we can all be proud, achievements that represent the shared efforts of the Cabinet, the Dail, and the people.

But the challenges ahead are equally great, and they, too, will require the support and the efforts of the Dail and the people working in cooperation with the new Cabinet.

Here in Ireland, we are fortunate that most of our people have not only the blessings of liberty but also the means to live full and good and, by the world's standards, even abundant lives. We must press on, however, toward a goal of not only more and better jobs but of full opportunity for every Irishman and of what we are striving so hard right now to achieve, prosperity once more.

For more than a quarter of a century in public life I have shared in the turbulent history of this era. I have fought for what I believed in. I have tried to the best of my ability to discharge those duties and meet those responsibilities that were entrusted to me.

Sometimes I have succeeded and sometimes I have failed, but always I have taken heart from what Theodore Roosevelt once said about the man in the arena, "whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes short again and again because there is not effort without error and shortcoming, but who does actually strive to do the deed, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumphs of high achievements and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly."

I pledge to you tonight that as long as I have a breath of life in my body, I shall continue in that spirit. I shall continue to work for the great causes to which I have been dedicated throughout my years as a TD , Finance Minister and Taoiseach, the cause of peace not just forIreland but among all nations, prosperity, justice, and opportunity for all of our people.
    There is one cause above all to which I have been devoted and to which I shall always be devoted for as long as I live.

When I first took office as Taoiseach 2.1/2 years ago, I made this sacred commitment, to "consecrate my office, my energies, and all the wisdom I can summon to the cause of prosperity and stability."

I have done my very best in all the days since to be true to that pledge. This, more than anything, is what I hoped to achieve when I sought this office. This, more than anything, is what I hope will be my legacy to you, to our country, as I leave this office.

To have served in this office is to have felt a very personal sense of kinship with each and every Irishman. In leaving it, I do so with this prayer: May God's grace be with you in all the days ahead.
    Something about it seems familiar somehow....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

No, I can't accept that, in the fullness of time, after mature reflection, we are where we are........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Going forward... (to my massive pension....)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

...the reality is I am looking forward to drinking copious amounts of Guinness at the taxpayers expense for the rest of my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

...the reality is I am looking forward to drinking copious amounts of Guinness at the taxpayers expense for the rest of my life.

I hope any publican that will serve him and any of the FFaudsters will dilute their Guinnesses with piss.

ilovesleep wrote: »
    I hope any publican that will serve him and any of the FFaudsters will dilute their Guinnesses with piss.

Just out of curiousity, how many of your 851posts are actually happy and non-angry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Just out of curiousity, how many of your 851posts are actually happy and non-angry?

Probably not very many. I do love michael buble though and I told johmmcdnl here on AH last night that I love his granny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Couldn't be much worse than the last one he gave, which prominently featured sentiments like "sometimes the nation has to come before the party"...

You seriously couldn't make this stuff up.

Sharpen up your votes folks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

See ya later suckers mauh ha ha ha ha

(or words to that effect)

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

They'll present him with the cliche watch / clock / barometer upon his departure to which he'll reply "no I can't accept that".

either that or ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Cowen wrote:
    But the interest of the Nation must always come before any personal considerations.

*snort*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

I have done the state some service, they know it, no more of that ... if I were to seek any accolade as I leave office, it would simply be, "he served the people, all the people, to the best of his ability".

*Runs away*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I'd imagine he will keep it short and to the point.

Something along the lines of this:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭someday2010

Anyone for a feed of pints?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

I have been reliably informed that he will incorporate a spectacular song and dance number then he will lead a conga line of all the retiring TDs around the dail chamber. they shall then adjourn to the dail bar for some light refreshments and more singing and then a quick last blast around Europe on the government jet.

there are also rumors that he has U2, Clannad and The Rubber Bandits rewriting the lyrics to 'Don't Cry for me argentina'.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭ismiseuisce

Waffle waffle waffle. No, I don't accept that. Waffle waffle waffle, it wasn't my fault. Waffle waffle waffle...

Mmmm waffles!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭talla10

Hopefully the sniper will pick him off before he opens his trap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

talla10 wrote: »
    Hopefully the sniper will pick him off before he opens his trap

Sniper? I'm fairly sure you or I could fire a gun up into the air and have a good chance of hitting him in the arse on the way down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Friends! Fellow Members of the Human Race! We are gathered here for a purpose. Let us look together at Mankind. What do we see? We see Mastery. What wonders Mankind can perform. He can cross the oceans and continents today, as easily as our grandfathers crossed the street. Tomorrow he will as easily cross the vast territories of space. He can make deserts FERTILE and plant cabbages on the Moon. And what does man CHOOSE? Alone among the creatures of this world, the Human Race CHOOSES to ANNIHILATE itself. Since the last world conflict ended, there has not been one day in which Human Beings have not been SLAUGHTERING or wounding one another, in 200 and 30 different wars. And man BREEDS as recklessly as he lays waste. By the end of the century, the population of the world will have TRIPLED. 2/3rds of our plant species will have been DESTROYED. 55% of the Animal Kingdom. and 70% of our mineral resources. Out of every hundred Human Beings now living, 80 will DIE without ever KNOWING what it FEELS like to be fully nourished... While a tiny minority INDULGE themselves in ABSURD and EXTRAVAGANT luxuries. A motion picture entertainer of North America will receive as much money in a MONTH as would feed a starving South American tribe for a hundred YEARS! We WASTE! We DESTROY! AND, we cling like SAVAGES to our SUPERSTITIONS. We give POWER to LEADERS of State and Church as prejudiced and small-minded as ourselves, who SQUANDER our resources on instruments of destruction... While Millions continue to SUFFER and go hungry, condemned FOREVER to lives of IGNORANCE and DEPRIVATION. And why is this? It is because mankind has denied Intelligence, the unique glory of our species - the Human Brain. Man is entering an era of INFINITE possibility, still imprisoned in a FEEBLE, inefficient body... Still manacled by primitive notions of morality, which have NO PLACE in an Age of Science... Still powered by a brain that has HARDLY developed since the species emerged from the caves. Only a NEW intelligence can save Mankind! Only a new Human Being of PURE BRAIN can lead man forward into the new era. I do not speak of DREAMS. Such a being exists already. I have created it! It is HERE. NOW. Prepare yourselves to meet the Human of the Future. Neither Man nor Woman. Greater than either. I have given it a name. Genesis. Birth. A New Birth. A New Beginning for Mankind. People of Today, Behold Your Future!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

It wasn't me, it was lehman brothers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

"Shyte talk, shyte talk, shyte talk, moving forward. Shyte talk, shyte talk, shyte talk, year on year. Shyte talk, shyte talk, shyte talk, front loading. Shyte talk, shyte talk, shyte talk, I always put the best interests of the banks and big developers people first."

and so on and so forth......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭paulosham

Th-th-th-that's all folks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

I love burgers and pints.......Hleurb,,, belurrr bleurrr bleurrrr...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Pauleta wrote: »
    He wishes he built a national stadium

Bertie would have said as much, but he was too busy writing more blank cheques.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

It'll go a little like this..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

It was Lehmans fault

• Advertisement
Advertisement