Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get a good passport photo

Options
  • 29-01-2011 10:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering can anyone recommend somewhere i can get a decent passport photo in Dundalk, i have tried a few places including those frustrating machines that don't work,what an ordeal. HELP!!!!:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering can anyone recommend somewhere i can get a decent passport photo in Dundalk, i have tried a few places including those frustrating machines that don't work,what an ordeal. HELP!!!!:eek:
    Good news,if you go into the fuji photos place in the longwalk sc today they are doing passport photos for €3.Has to be today,its closing down @ 6 bells!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 higgins2010

Ehh no disrespect but i have already had mine taken there and they where as green as there logo, but is there anything else for cheap????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Ehh no disrespect but i have already had mine taken there and they where as green as there logo, but is there anything else for cheap????
    Photo shop in the old shopping s.c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

Try smack printers behind the old shopping centre, they are very good, good my passport pics there a few months ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 tiffmister

Hi everyone,

Try this place its not €3.00 but they are very good at what they do and its always worth remembering that you have to look at the bleeding thing for ten years.http://www.lifestylephotography.ie/blog/studio-photography/professional-passport-visa-photo/

I hope this helped

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭positron

Here's how to get passport photos on the cheap.

Take a photo with your own camera. Follow general guide lines - bright space, plain background like a wall.

Then go to http://epassportphoto.com/. Select the country (defaults to Ireland anyway). Load your photo there, crop the photo there (takes less than 2 secs) and they will let you download a single 6x4 photo with 7 of your pictures.

Take this file they give you to your local Boots and print it for the 60c or 80c.

That's all - 7 passport photos for very little money!

Yeah sounds good but my friend did this and the passport office returned the pictures saying that there was a shadow and and pictures was poor quality

Make sure you take the photo in plenty of light - either use a couple of lights pointed at the person, or just do it outside when it's reasonably bright (background might be an issue). But mostly, couple of lights and camera flash should really do the job. I have been doing this since 2004/05 I think and have used them for everything from passport to visa to driving licenses.

Are you having a laugh, a couple of lights ??? like do you mean like point table lamps at the persons. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

LOL @ Ray mears nephew positron. It seems like a good idea at first. But it would actually cost more time and money getting it right than just going into somewhere for lets say a 3euro to 4 euro passport photo shot that is taken professionally. Also the hassle of worrying about whether or not it would be sent back would be too much to take on in my opinion. :(

• Advertisement

Onesimus wrote: »
    LOL @ Ray mears nephew positron. It seems like a good idea at first. But it would actually cost more time and money getting it right than just going into somewhere for lets say a 3euro to 4 euro passport photo shot that is taken professionally. Also the hassle of worrying about whether or not it would be sent back would be too much to take on in my opinion. :(

No offense to anyone working in a camera shop, but surely you don't think that they are qualified photographers:confused:

tiffmister wrote: »
    No offense to anyone working in a camera shop, but surely you don't think that they are qualified photographers:confused:

I know they get trained though to use the camera and the machines. Like anyone can pick up a camera take a photo. But have to say went in to somewhere like the one in the old shopping centre. and would buy the cameras in it because they are really good quality and cheap. But I wouldnt trust them with me photos again. Came out one day with a big streaky red line through all me holiday photos and was like....ahhh... they were all dyed a light pink color. They obviously arent looking after the machine they are using because you can tell that if your photos come out like that it is because the machine is dirty and has something to do with ink probably?. Surely it does not take a lot to keep a machine clean? therefore dirty machine = people who cant be bothered about their work = cant be bothered about the quaility of my photo and importance of my custom.

But like I said they are the only good shop worth buying a camera out of. But not for a photo.

Onesimus wrote: »
    I know they get trained though to use the camera and the machines. Like anyone can pick up a camera take a photo. But have to say went in to somewhere like the one in the old shopping centre. and would buy the cameras in it because they are really good quality and cheap. But I wouldnt trust them with me photos again. Came out one day with a big streaky red line through all me holiday photos and was like....ahhh... they were all dyed a light pink color. They obviously arent looking after the machine they are using because you can tell that if your photos come out like that it is because the machine is dirty and has something to do with ink probably?. Surely it does not take a lot to keep a machine clean? therefore dirty machine = people who cant be bothered about their work = cant be bothered about the quaility of my photo and importance of my custom.

But like I said they are the only good shop worth buying a camera out of. But not for a photo.

Did you not complain, i know i would, anyway i heard that they are closing down soon, maybe thats why ehh
    And the one in the longwalk so whats next

Did you not complain, i know i would, anyway i heard that they are closing down soon, maybe thats why ehh

Nope it was because when I first looked at them I thought it was something I did and my fault and thats the way the photos came out. Then after a while someone who knew more than I did in that area was looking at them and said that the machines must be dirty and that it is definitely NOT your fault. probably a good question worth asking in the camera forum of boards.ie actually.

So I didnt bother going back there any more for me photos. The guy who processed the photos used to work in cd world next to it. So that says a lot about what kind of people (with no history in photography) they were hiring. Nice guy though.

I feel sorry for them having to close down though. I've no idea how to run a business but I'm sure its hard. not easy keeping afloat. Now that there are no more photo shops in town I can just imagine them in a few years time showing their kids the albums with a big gap in them and saying ''mammy, why is there a big gap in the photo album with no photos?'' ''oh that was the era of the dundalk photo famine son'' :pac:

I think the town needs a good photoshop.:(

Are you having a laugh, a couple of lights ??? like do you mean like point table lamps at the persons. :confused:

Yes, if you had to do that! :) I find turning on all the lights in the living room sufficient light! Camera sees what you see - and a bit more with flash - and who doesn't know how to look at a photo in the computer these days, come on lads, who's having a laugh here?

And oh, have you seen the quality of the pictures that come out of those unmanned passport photo booths?

epassportphoto.com method is the easiest possible DIY option out there. If you know your keyboard from mouse and a bit of photoshop, you can easily put together a 6x4 photo with 8 photos and end up with a much superior quality print.

Anyway, horses for courses et all..!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Pentu

I always use the idphoto4you.com website.
    This site uses face detection.
    Includes a handy crop frame.
    Brightness is adjustable.
    Knows a lot of standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

To be honest I think you are making an issue out of nothing. There are lots of places in town that do them and they are good enough for passports. The phot place behind B&C Electirc do them as do most chemists. I think you're being a bit fussy as I have used many places for my own or those of my family and never had a problem with any taken anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Any fairly modern HP Home Printer has an option for Passport photos under the 'Create' tab. Even the cheapo ones afaik. Other makes probably have the same.
    They're quite good and you can do all the cropping etc on the printer. Print 4,6 or eight on a sheet depending on what you want.
    Short, sweet and simple.

Advertisement