Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite ship?

Options
  • 29-01-2011 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭

What was your favourite ship from all the series/movies?

Personally, the Galaxy class is always my favourite one.

iliad_ncc71831.jpg

Beautiful ship! A majestic sight, commands respect. And powerful. Would easily beat Voyager and the Defiant (imo). Always disappointed me as the Enterprise-D was always shown as underpowered. Her destruction annoyed me. A Galaxy-class could've easily pounded the Klingon ship into dust with a barrage of photon torpedoes and phaser blasts, but Riker kept going on about plasma coils.

Second would be the Sovereign class. Even though I'm confused as to why they needed to design a new ship as Galaxy classes were being rebuilt/refitted to fight as we saw in the Dominion War. She's sleek and armed to the teeth.

Favourite ship? 46 votes

NX-01
    0% 0 votes
    USS Enterprise
    6% 3 votes
    USS Enterprise-A
    0% 0 votes
    USS Enterprise-B
    8% 4 votes
    USS Enterprise-D
    4% 2 votes
    USS Enterprise-E
    34% 16 votes
    USS Defiant
    19% 9 votes
    USS Voyager
    26% 12 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,513 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

what bout Ent-C?

I think the shape of the 1701, D and excelsior etc leaves a lot to be desired design wise, so much wasted and unused space. Very narrow and vulnerable nacelle pylons and necks between the primary and secondary hulls. The Sovereign is the natural next stage of this design but looks so much better.

The Defiant and Akira's are my favourites, they look as though proper though went into them. The are sleek, compact, laid out intelligently and look super cool. Miranda's also look pretty cool, esp with the rollbars. And though never seen on screen the Luna class to looks cool

10609045123363588754.jpeg
    ulysses1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Cookie, I only included the main ships in the poll or else it would've been massive.

I love the Romulan warbirds

RomulanWarbird.jpg

Valdore:

Valdore_Class.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Would easily beat Voyager and the Defiant (imo).
    Your opinion is flawed. ;)
    The Enterprise D is little more than a great big people carrier, the Defiant was built for way. It'd run circles around that oversize rust bucket before beating it to a pulp. :p

azezil wrote: »
    The Enterprise D is little more than a great big people carrier, the Defiant was built for way. It'd run circles around that oversize rust bucket before beating it to a pulp. :p

The same Defiant that got its arse kicked by the USS Lakota? :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I always loved the Akira class. Great looking ship.

akira.jpg

A USS Lakota that had just been given a massive weapons upgrade.

I don't agree that the Galazy class is just a people carrier though. Yes, it was designed like that, but it was used pretty effectively during the Dominion War.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Wasn't the Lakota one torpedo away from being destroyed? Both ships gave as good as they got, with the Defiant winning out with manouvreability.

The Excelsior class always left my jaw on the ground. Love it, the cinematography always made it look huge!

Edit - The OP's picture of the Ent-D is a textbook example of how much better models are over cg (properly done models).

azezil wrote: »
    Kiith wrote: »
    I always loved the Akira class. Great looking ship.

akira.jpg
    A USS Lakota that had just been given a massive weapons upgrade.

I don't agree that the Galazy class is just a people carrier though. Yes, it was designed like that, but it was used pretty effectively during the Dominion War.
    EnterNow wrote: »
    Wasn't the Lakota one torpedo away from being destroyed? Both ships gave as good as they got, with the Defiant winning out with manouvreability.

The Excelsior class always left my jaw on the ground. Love it, the cinematography always made it look huge!

Edit - The OP's picture of the Ent-D is a textbook example of how much better models are over cg (properly done models).

The Defiant manouvreability won't work against a ship like a Galaxy class with a 360-degree firing range! Just my opinon anway!

The Defiant manouvreability won't work against a ship like a Galaxy class with a 360-degree firing range! Just my opinon anway!

Funny, it worked incredibly well against a Negh'Var ;)

Defiant_attacks_regents_flagship.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Funny, it worked incredibly well against a Negh'Var ;)

Defiant_attacks_regents_flagship.jpg

Mirror Universe, in all fairness.
    Also Klingon ships are forward firing and designed for critical strikes, after decloak

Resource/cost to build wise, Defiant all the way. Pack of 3 would take down pretty much anything, excepting a cube.

One on one, a Federation capital ship of the same time would probably win

oh edit, also I think that for some reason the Defiant had ablative armour fitted and Sisko told no one.
    It seemed to be a surprise to the Lakota crew

Mirror Universe, in all fairness.
    Also Klingon ships are forward firing and designed for critical strikes, after decloak

Resource/cost to build wise, Defiant all the way. Pack of 3 would take down pretty much anything, excepting a cube.

One on one, a Federation capital ship of the same time would probably win

oh edit, also I think that for some reason the Defiant had ablative armour fitted and Sisko told no one.
    It seemed to be a surprise to the Lakota crew

Mirror universe Defiant, built using stolen normal universe plans, so I don't see how that matters? We're never led to believe ship construction differs in any way either, right down to Terrak Nor.

Forward firing? The Defiant was dogding disruptor blasts no matter where it was around the Negh'Var, the strategy was to fly as close as possible making it an extremely difficult target. I'd argue the Negh'Var would have a better firing arc than a Sovereign/Galaxy all day long, it is a warship after all. It's size may have been it's fault in this particular battle though, as I can't see a Defiant class ship getting as up close & personal against a Federation Capital ship.

The ablative armour was a secretive upgrade, as there was infiltration issues in Starfleet at the time. The whole weapons upgrade to DS9 was in much the same vein. I'd have to watch it agin, but I'm 99% sure the Defiant won the battle against the Lakota, though being heavily damaged in the process.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

The defiant did win the battle, Captain Bentine says that they are heavily damage and need to withdraw if i can remember correctly.

edit, here's a link to the scene
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMwnF8WpIcA
    Watched it, both are damaged but the Lakota more so, Defiant wins.

With the Defiant vs the Neghvar generally big ships like that are vulnerable close up. Its like a speedboat attacking an aircraft carrier there are restrictions on how accurate weapons are so close to the ship.

The defiant did win the battle, Captain Bentine says that they are heavily damage and need to withdraw if i can remember correctly.

edit, here's a link to the scene
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMwnF8WpIcA
    Watched it, both are damaged but the Lakota more so, Defiant wins.

With the Defiant vs the Neghvar generally big ships like that are vulnerable close up. Its like a speedboat attacking an aircraft carrier there are restrictions on how accurate weapons are so close to the ship.

Yep, thats as I remember it.

"What about the Lakota?"
    "They're in worse shape, one good hit will probably finish them"

And thank you! I watched an episode of Stargate SG1 the other night that had Robert Foxworth in it...I couldn't place him, but now I can - Admiral Leyton.

Was the Lakota an excelsior?

Was the Lakota an excelsior?

The refit Excelsior, with an up to date shield & weapon upgrade yep.

The refit Excelsior, with an up to date shield & weapon upgrade yep.

I would still expect the Defiant to win, every time. Still a 70/80 year old design/materials

I would still expect the Defiant to win, every time. Still a 70/80 year old design/materials

Well it very nearly didn't, so design materials seem to only matter once shields are down. Given it's systems were updated for the Dominion War, I'd say it had probably more advanced shielding etc than the Defiant (designed for the Borg threat).

Anyhow, the thread is about fav ships - so who's got something different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

In fairness for the first minute of that battle the defiant did nothing except fly around taking damage whilst warf just sat there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

In fairness for the first minute of that battle the defiant did nothing except fly around taking damage whilst warf just sat there.
    Try orderering your crew to kill fellow soldiers, i'm sure it aint easy.

I'm a big fan of the D'Deridex Warbirds something very sleek and elegant about them. Also in the episode where the Romulans try to invade Vulcan and the enterprise encounters a ship thats armed to the teeth in the junkyard that was pretty nice.

Really dislike the big Kazon sheeps they look like the front part of a D'Deridex they're not sleek at all.

Harrys ship for End Game Pt 1 and also Geordis ship when he tries to stop Chakotay going back in time to save Voyager.

also like the Andorian ships.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Try orderering your crew to kill fellow soldiers, i'm sure it aint easy.

:rolleyes:

The point was the defiant could take a whole extra minute of pounding that the other ship. THEREFORE it is/was/willbe (?) the stronger better ship

I should've made this poll public, I'm shocked the original Enterprise got none and the NX got 1 :eek:

As soon as I saw the NX-01 I knew I hated Enterprise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,513 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Really dislike the big Kazon sheeps they look like the front part of a D'Deridex they're not sleek at all.

most realistic looking one I think, huge and bulky like a more basic ship would be. It doesn't look good but is the most true to real life IMO
    Harrys ship for End Game Pt 1 and also Geordis ship when he tries to stop Chakotay going back in time to save Voyager.
    Nova class variant and Galaxy class (USS Challenger?) respectively.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

The Ferengi ships were kinda cool..crap colour though..i mean brown?? c'mon..

Romulan warbirds are sexy but design wise they always bugged me because theyre impossibly impractical and that doesnt fit with what we know of romulans really...still a cool ship though.

always thought Voyager was a cool ship..built a model of it years ago from forbidden planet..with just a fewadjustments in the design to make it more sleek it would have been gorgeous..the back end is clunky and it ruins the overall.

Defiant is a bit cool too..certainly has the moves.

Enterprise D was my favourite..though the beige interior always got on me tits for some reason..

most realistic looking one I think, huge and bulky like a more basic ship would be. It doesn't look goo but is the most true to real life IMO

Nova class variant and Galaxy class (USS Challenger?) respectively.

I might download and rewatch them though

Actually honorable mention to the Borg raider in the episode where Lore and Data team up

Actually honorable mention to the Borg raider in the episode where Lore and Data team up

Uglyyyyy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

I do like those Valdore class ships.

Sleek, elegant, dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

The voth city ship looks quite nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

USS Enterprise B was always the best looking for me

BrookieD wrote: »
    USS Enterprise B was always the best looking for me

Cracker of a ship :cool: Even the Excelsior was a thing of beauty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Defiant all the way! The power she had. Built for one purpose only - seek and destroy! Voyager was pretty good too to highlight the realistic cramped conditions on-board at times.

Advertisement