Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting Vinyl wrapped kitchen doors

• 29-01-2011 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭

I have a shaker kitchen with vinyl wrapped kitchen doors. The vinyl is cracked and peeling off on some off the doors. Under the covering it looks like the doors are mdf. What would the best option be? to change the doors for new ones or is it possible to remove the vinyl / laminate and just paint the mdf base ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭woody_2000

I like Shaker design myself - I think it's very smart. The door style might lend itself nicely to a nice painted finish. I would consider painting the doors with some sort of paint finish - either a plain colour, or some sort of creative paint finish. Properly/nicely applied brush strokes should enhance/compliment the effect, as well as some nice handles or knobs (you could fill existing holes if/as necessary). A smooth enamel spray coat could also possibly be applied over a carefully primed, sealed and sanded base.

Proper sanding and priming would be extremely important prior to applying any painted finish. MDF edges require particular attention, and should be thoroughly sealed and sanded prior to painting. These edges should possibly be treated with an extra coat or two of primer (and sanded between coats). There are also specific MDF primer/sealer products on the market which may be suitable for this purpose.

There could be a bit of work in it, but it could potentially be a very worthwhile and creative project... Even reviewing and deciding on what type of a paint finish (and hardware and accessories) to use should be an interest in itself. You could break it down and do a few doors at a time, to make it easier to handle... Best of luck...

EDIT -- I not sure how to remove the PVC/thermofoil coating, but it could be worth researching how to effectively do it. Also, here's a quick example of something that might be of interest: DIY painted finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I'd replace the doors if the veneers are peeling off. It wouldn't be worth the hassle trying to get the vinyl removed. Not sure that the doors are MDF, I'd imagine they are chip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

No doubt a freshly paintd kitchen can make a huge difference to your home. Add new handles and hardware and it can transform it.

If you remove the vinyl from some and not others then you will have a noticable difference on the finish no matter how good a prep job you do. I'd maybe try and reattach the vinyl then completly repaint. As post two mentioned a through prep and clean all grease off beforehand is essential prior to apllication of any paints.

It looks like you might have three options to evaluate and weigh up.

1. Replace the doors.

2. If possible, try and repair the damage as invisibly as possible and then paint over the PVC/thermofoil - preparing the surface as well as possible for painting.

3. Try and remove all the PVC coating and paint as mentioned above.

There may be potential pros and cons to each option which you should try to identify and weigh up.

Once again, best of luck...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,042 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

mark2000ie wrote: »
    I have a shaker kitchen with vinyl wrapped kitchen doors. The vinyl is cracked and peeling off on some off the doors. Under the covering it looks like the doors are mdf. What would the best option be? to change the doors for new ones or is it possible to remove the vinyl / laminate and just paint the mdf base ?

Keep an eye on B&Q. They have some erratic sales on kitcher press doors and drawer fronts from time to time. I picked up 12 doors and 4 drawer fronts for 1€ each about 18 mths ago ;)

How many doors are affected ? If only a few, i'd replace the doors - that painting MDF can throw up poor results if not correctly done. Even the best job wont equal the foil finish in appearance.

• Advertisement

tonyforan wrote: »
    hi

i am a cabinet maker doing kitchens and wardrobes

firstly you cant paint over pvc finished materials

you cant paint the mdf underneath either as the glue used in the applying the pvc in the first place would reacted with the paint needed

so basically you cant do much with what you have and when one go they all do so with in months

it would be way cheaper for you to just replace the doors
    PM me if your interested in getting me to give you a quote

Post looks more geared towards getting work - and there are several recent posts by this poster touting similar services...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 tonyforan

hi and your problem with that is ??

advise was ask for and i offered it and as a fully qualified cabinet maker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭rightoldpickle

No doubt a freshly paintd kitchen can make a huge difference to your home. Add new handles and hardware and it can transform it.

If you remove the vinyl from some and not others then you will have a noticable difference on the finish no matter how good a prep job you do. I'd maybe try and reattach the vinyl then completly repaint. As post two mentioned a through prep and clean all grease off beforehand is essential prior to apllication of any paints.

I have the same type of problem and was really hoping to just fix the current doors rather then get new ones as I was quoted about 15/1600 which seems like the cost of a new kitchen. Anyways my question is how do i go about sticking the vinyl back - it has come away from the cupboards nearest the cooker and the kettle - is there a special glue that i can get?

hi with out appearing to be TOUTING for business may i say that there is a glue but trying to apply is not that easy it is a 2-part glue it wont fully stick all the pvc back as you wont be able to get the glue fully on to door PM if your require more info

tonyforan wrote: »
    hi and your problem with that is ??

advise was ask for and i offered it and as a fully qualified cabinet maker

Well if you could kindly offer your opinion/advice without blatantly trying to sell your services to the OP, then it might not seem so bad... Your touting was all over the DIY forum this morning - maybe that's what added to my reaction... You gave fairly shallow "advice", IMO, to the OP - without any real reasoning behind it - and maybe that's what the OP needs in the first instance, and not a fairly blatant sales pitch... I know I personally wouldn't entertain such a manner, and I see it all the time, and would consequently look elsewhere...

I don't know if your "marketing" ploy is a breach of the forum charter, but good luck to you anyway -- I do understand the economic and social climate we have to live in...

I am new poster on Boards.ie, and I do apologise unreservedly to the OP, the forum, and even your good self if I was out of order... I do understand that there shouldn't be any need to take this thread further off topic, so, as far as I'm concerned, this is the end of the matter... Thank you.

To Boards.ie: Please feel free to delete any of my posts on this thread as you see fit, thank you...

• Advertisement

woody_2000 wrote: »
    Well if you could kindly offer your opinion/advice without blatantly trying to sell your services to the OP, then it might not seem so bad... Your touting was all over the DIY forum this morning - maybe that's what added to my reaction... You gave fairly shallow "advice", IMO, to the OP - without any real reasoning behind it - and maybe that's what the OP needs in the first instance, and not a fairly blatant sales pitch... I know I personally wouldn't entertain such a manner, and I see it all the time, and would consequently look elsewhere...

I don't know if your "marketing" ploy is a breach of the forum charter, but good luck to you anyway -- I do understand the economic and social climate we have to live in...

I am new poster on Boards.ie, and I do apologise unreservedly to the OP, the forum, and even your good self if I was out of order... I do understand that there shouldn't be any need to take this thread further off topic, so, as far as I'm concerned, this is the end of the matter... Thank you.

To Boards.ie: Please feel free to delete any of my posts on this thread as you see fit, thank you...

i am also new on here my advise is free good bad or in different hopefully good lol and from giving advise if i get some work from it all the better but i am not touting and i see your point of view i had no intention to giving a sale,s pitch over giving advise but as the advise i gave said you cant paint pvc coated kitchen doors (well you can but i can assure you with first hand knowledge) that you would make a total hash of your kitchen my advise was a way of saving the op hassle and money in the future

i thank you for your apologise but you dont need to offer any as you were only giving your opinion which is your full entitlement

Advertisement