Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computer whirring very loudly

• 29-01-2011 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

hi - at work, there is a guy who has a hp computer (makes short films etc).
    I sit across from him.
    His computer, for the last few weeks (maybe they gave him a new one-I havent asked/said anything yet-dont want to offend), is driving me mental.
    It is constantly whirring at a high pitch - I guess the more he makes the computer work, the louder the whir gets. The guy himself wears headphones most of the day.
    My left ear is actually popping when it get VERY loud/loud pitch.
    Is there anything that can be done with the computer/or make me understand what is happening to it?
    Not nice sitting near this for 8hrs a day!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Talk to the guy and let him know that his PC is whirring. Explain that it's disturbing you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Tell him Edge is your best mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,573 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Thanks lads.

Why does it whir so much/is there anything he can do?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

Why does it whir so much/is there anything he can do?

He could call your technical support.
    He could notify management that constant noise is breach of health and safety.
    He could open the case. See if it's a fan or something. Take out fan and throw it away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

i wouldnt recommend throwing any fans away.... firstly it is not your property to throw away... I.T. guys dont like ye fiddling with their stuff and could get u sacked.

2 things cause a whirring fan...

1. the fan's bearings are knackered
    2. the fan or heatsink is clogged up with dust.

have your I.T. Dept replace the fan

Advertisement