Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Roisin increases prices after midnight

Options
  • 29-01-2011 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭

Did you know this?

I think it's scandalous in this economic climate. And it's only barely metioned on their price list at the door. No sign at the bar. Who looks at prices on the way in somewhere anyway?

I think price increases after midnight in any bar should be banned as by that stage, people are well on it and less likely to notice.

How is it justified? They're cleaning up as it is, being the only late bar on a Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, as far I know.

What ye think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

The increase is for paying for the late licence which is around 240 to 300 a night, and if the Roisin were raking it in why have they had to shut the bottom part on nights during the week when it's quiet, it's the same in many pub's across the country

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Don't most pubs do this?

Hardly scandalous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

The increase is for paying for the late licence which is around 240 to 300 a night, and if the Roisin were raking it in why have they had to shut the bottom part on nights during the week when it's quiet, it's the same in many pub's across the country

Other bars don't increase the price of a drink after midnight when they stay open late.

I haven't seen the bottom part closed any time lately. I was there on Wednesday night this week and a Tuesday last week or the week before. No area was closed off.

Also, my main issue is the fact that customers are not made aware of it. Even if they had a sign up nforming people, that would be something. But the fact that it's so covert is off-putting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Agree completely even though i don't go near the place anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Dont go.

Or

Bring your own drink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Its unlawful (or so I've been led to believe) for them to increase prices without a notice. The way pubs do things (or so I've been told) is to have the cheaper prices up outside to attract the crowd, then have the more expensive prices printed inside the door.

Its not only pubs that do this either - taxis and some fast food restaurants (Eddie Rockets) do it (or at least did it) as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

OP stated the price is advertised before entering the establishment:
    And it's only barely metioned on their price list at the door

I don't see what the issue is, people have a choice in where to go. Publicans can charge wahtever they like, nobody is forced to go to any pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

kraggy wrote: »
    Other bars don't increase the price of a drink after midnight when they stay open late.

You're wrong there. Nearly all the late bars jack up the prices to cover the licence. IIRC, the dail doesnt. Do a search and there's a thread from about 18 months ago. Its nothing new and i'm not sure what you want 'banned'. If you have a problem, go to another pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

i noticed last weekend that masimos do this as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭cheesemaker

The place has always been a rip off since they did it up.
    Mad money for booze in there

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »

I don't see what the issue is, people have a choice in where to go. Publicans can charge wahtever they like, nobody is forced to go to any pub.

The issue is not alerting people to the fact that an increase in price on something they been buying all evening is going up after midnight.

I understand the increase in price, but not telling people that there's a price increase is sneaky.

Like I said, if they had a sign up saying, "look guys, we have to pay extra so that you guys can drink later, therefore, prices need to go up after midnight to allow for this. We appreciate your understanding."

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭lmtduffy

The place has always been a rip off since they did it up.
    Mad money for booze in there

It really isn't, it's about 50c cheaper per drink than almost any other place open as long or as often as they are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

It's slimey as f*** but what do you expect from businesses in this country?

It's also a legal requirement that they display a price list (usually that tiny framed poster at the end of the bar) - I assume the Roisin goes around and changes these displayed prices come midnight?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

... by that stage, people are well on it and less likely to notice.

If people are "well on it", it's actually illegal to serve 'em.

Somehow I don't think that pricing is the problem here.

lmtduffy wrote: »
    It really isn't, it's about 50c cheaper per drink than almost any other place open as long or as often as they are.

If thats true.
    Being 50c cheaper then the rest of the pubs in Galway hardly constitutes not being a rip off does it?

JustMary wrote: »
    If people are "well on it", it's actually illegal to serve 'em.

Somehow I don't think that pricing is the problem here.

I mean having a good time, ignoring non-important things cause they're on a night out.

Not intoxicated into oblivion.

You know exactly what I mean.

If you claim not to, are you telling me that you are constantly on the look out for facts and figures and pricing after, say, 4 drinks?

Going out is done, by most folk, at the weekend when people are unwinding after a hard week's work. They shouldn't have to be on constant watch to make sure they're not getting into an arrangement whereby they're not fully informed of the conditions.

This is not a stab at the Roisin in particular. The Roisin is an example that I've become aware of this week. Any other establishment that practices the same minimum-information-delivery behaviour is just as bad.

I simply think that the law should state that relative information should be more obviously displayed i.e. at the bar where people are making their purchases, not on a notice below hip level, on the left, before you go in the main door (have a look next time you're going into the Roisin).

If thats true.
    Being 50c cheaper then the rest of the pubs in Galway hardly constitutes not being a rip off does it?

So what other pubs do you compare a Galway pub to, to decide if it is a rip-off in Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

It's illegal to serve anyone who is drunk so I presume they refuse anyone who is "well on". That is an actual law but could you imagine any establishment doing that/not breaking the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,499 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Used to be a regular until they changed it but can't stand the place now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

It's not, most decent beers like Hoegaarden or Erdinger are cheaper elsewhere. Even the bavaria is like 3.20-3.40 where its 3e in most other places.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭philbo

I mean having a good time, ignoring non-important things cause they're on a night out....
    If you claim not to, are you telling me that you are constantly on the look out for facts and figures and pricing after, say, 4 drinks?

You mean like a sign that would say

"look guys, we have to pay extra so that you guys can drink later, therefore, prices need to go up after midnight to allow for this. We appreciate your understanding."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

philbo wrote: »
    "look guys, we have to pay extra so that you guys can drink later, therefore, prices need to go up after midnight to allow for this. We appreciate your understanding."

In a 6 metre high, 4 metre wide flashing blue/red neon sign

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

dinneenp wrote: »
    It's illegal to serve anyone who is drunk

in the barmans opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Jagle wrote: »
    in the barmans opinion

And when that happens usually all sorts of hilarity ensues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

And when that happens usually all sorts of hilarity ensues.

maybe its a non galway thing but all the barmen i know are pretty good for this, i mean none wants to be cleaning up your puke and what not

snubbleste wrote: »

That's absolutley true.

However, customers have a right to be clear about what price they're paying, and in particular, that the price for the same price has increased between 11.59pm and 00.00a.m.

What happened my post above by the way, it seems to have been edited. Can you pm me Biko?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

No editing done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Did you know this?

I think it's scandalous in this economic climate. And it's only barely metioned on their price list at the door. No sign at the bar. Who looks at prices on the way in somewhere anyway?

I think price increases after midnight in any bar should be banned as by that stage, people are well on it and less likely to notice.

How is it justified? They're cleaning up as it is, being the only late bar on a Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, as far I know.

What ye think?

I think fair fooks to them for making money

So what other pubs do you compare a Galway pub to, to decide if it is a rip-off in Galway?

99% of pubs in town are a rip off.
    If the Roisin is 50c cheaper. Its still a rip off because the prices are so inflated in the first place.

• Advertisement

99% of pubs in town are a rip off.
    If the Roisin is 50c cheaper. Its still a rip off because the prices are so inflated in the first place.

Compared to where?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement