Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Roisin increases prices after midnight

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

snubbleste wrote: »
    OP stated the price is advertised before entering the establishment:
    And it's only barely metioned on their price list at the door

I don't see what the issue is, people have a choice in where to go. Publicans can charge wahtever they like, nobody is forced to go to any pub.

Yes indeed. And it's my choice to go there. So I go, under the illusion that when I start buying a product at 11pm that I'll be paying the same price for that product 1 hour later.

Like I've said numerous times, it's the fact that the customers are not openly informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭lmtduffy

Anima wrote: »
    It's not, most decent beers like Hoegaarden or Erdinger are cheaper elsewhere. Even the bavaria is like 3.20-3.40 where its 3e in most other places.

And in a lot of other places you wont get Hoegaarden or Erdinger, it is still by and large cheaper or at least on par with anywhere else open as late and as often as they are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

lmtduffy wrote: »
    And in a lot of other places you wont get Hoegaarden or Erdinger, it is still by and large cheaper or at least on par with anywhere else open as late and as often as they are.
    Ah the chosen beer of The Ponce.

Ah the chosen beer of The Ponce.

?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 OldAtHeart

To be fair, if you were having a good time with your mates and the Roisin suddenly said at 2am that they'd serve you for another hour, except the price of the pint would go u by another 50cent, you'd still pay the extra money. When 12am hits, there isnt a hell of alot of choice to go anymore with pub closures, etc. So if you are having a good time in there, why not stay and have the craic instead of going somewhere else that may be slightly cheaper. The majority of the eople that go to the Roisin have been for years and the increase in price at midnight has been in place for years and they all know this.

Just my two cents (or is that 50cents?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭cheesemaker

lmtduffy wrote: »
    Compared to where?

??

Compared to no where.
    Its a rip off

??

Compared to no where.
    Its a rip off

Sorry to put you so aghast by asking you to substantiate your claim, but where else in Galway provides a similar service and offers drinks at a cheaper price?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭cheesemaker

Go read the thread again.

Go read the thread again.

You concede, I accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Jagle wrote: »
    maybe its a non galway thing but all the barmen i know are pretty good for this, i mean none wants to be cleaning up your puke and what not

+1

They have a good sense of who's going to be trouble, and who they can get away with keeping on serving even though they're wobbling.

I got a lot of entertainment watching people (non-regulars to the establishment concerned) being refused on New Year's Eve.

• Advertisement

OldAtHeart wrote: »
    To be fair, if you were having a good time with your mates and the Roisin suddenly said at 2am that they'd serve you for another hour, except the price of the pint would go u by another 50cent, you'd still pay the extra money. When 12am hits, there isnt a hell of alot of choice to go anymore with pub closures, etc. So if you are having a good time in there, why not stay and have the craic instead of going somewhere else that may be slightly cheaper. The majority of the eople that go to the Roisin have been for years and the increase in price at midnight has been in place for years and they all know this.

Just my two cents (or is that 50cents?)

See the part in bold? That's exactly the problem I have with this. THEY DON'T TELL YOU THERE'S A PRICE INCREASE. As I said already, if they had informed people openly, I'd have no problem with it. I have no personal grudge towards besides this issue.

I've been going to the Roisin since 1995. That's 16 years. I only found out about the price increase recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭philbo

Personally, I've found the security staff in the Roisin to be really on the ball when it comes to folks who are too drunk, or are about to start trouble. Never really seen any fights any of the times I've been in there. It's not just down to the barman to judge whether the person has had too much!

kraggy wrote: »
    See the part in bold? That's exactly the problem I have with this. THEY DON'T TELL YOU THERE'S A PRICE INCREASE. As I said already, if they had informed people openly, I'd have no problem with it. I have no personal grudge towards besides this issue.

I've been going to the Roisin since 1995. That's 16 years. I only found out about the price increase recently.

You said there's a pricelist at the door so they do tell you, it's just your own fault for not checking.

You said there's a pricelist at the door so they do tell you, it's just your own fault for not checking.

And did you notice from that same post where the price list is located? Outside the door into the pub, lower than hip level on faded paper.

Do you buy your pints in the porch? No, you buy them at the bar. That's where the price list should be.

OK. We get it. You've now repeated the same point around 6 or 7 times. What are you suggesting? Why don't you email the Roisin with your concerns and see what their response is? You seem to feel strongly enough about it to moan on here, but what are you actually willing to do about it?

Or is it just a bit of a whiney rant inspired by the embarrassment of not noticing a price increase in your 16 years of attending the same venue?

The Roisin should just put their own spin on it and say they offer a discount on drinks until 12 :D
    philbo wrote: »
    Personally, I've found the security staff in the Roisin to be really on the ball when it comes to folks who are too drunk, or are about to start trouble. Never really seen any fights any of the times I've been in there. It's not just down to the barman to judge whether the person has had too much!

Never had any trouble with them myself but they've been absolute cocks to people I know. Refused to accept my friend's drivers license before, told him it was fake (it was real and he'd had it for 2 years), then said "well if it's real it would have this hologram on it", shone it under a light, hologram popped up, so he changed his story to my friend being too drunk (I met him about 20 mins after this and he seemed sober, never mind too drunk).

philbo wrote: »
    OK. We get it. You've now repeated the same point around 6 or 7 times. What are you suggesting? Why don't you email the Roisin with your concerns and see what their response is? You seem to feel strongly enough about it to moan on here, but what are you actually willing to do about it?

Or is it just a bit of a whiney rant inspired by the embarrassment of not noticing a price increase in your 16 years of attending the same venue?

Only 43 posts. Not too much experience on internet forums?

It's a discussion forum. I'm not whining. Merely making a point and making people aware of it.

And checked with Kelly's this evening. They don't increase the price of drinks after midnight when they stay open late.

And like I said, it's not a problem with Roisin's in particular. I have an issue with any bar that increases charges after midnight WITHOUT MAKING IT CLEAR TO CUSTOMERS.

And I have done something about it, but I'm not disclosing it here.

Seems this subject has reached its end on this forum.

Criticising the Roisin will never go down well on here. Somewhat unsurprisingly, it is the pub of choice for message board users*

*well aware I'm one of them, and I quite like the Roisin but don't go there much

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

And did you notice from that same post where the price list is located? Outside the door into the pub, lower than hip level on faded paper.

Do you buy your pints in the porch? No, you buy them at the bar. That's where the price list should be.

KD would start a thread complaining if the pricelist was where you want it to be.

KD would start a thread complaining if the pricelist was where you want it to be.

KD?

Edit, Knacker Dwarf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

the increase of the pints are 20-40 cent, wow not much, The reason there is a price increase is they have to pay for a late license, There isnt much places around town that have one(masimos, roisin, kelly and dail come to mind only)

If you don't like the price increase don't go, simple as that. They have stated that there is a price increase around if you look at the door. It's not like its one of the hidden secrets of galway were no one tells you, ask the staff and they wont hide the fact.

This has been going on since as long i can remember(5+ years now).

People make it sound like the Roisin have a light license out of the kindess of their hearts or something. Surely the extra 2-3 hours custom more than covers the cost of a late license?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

lol. Haven't seen the lad in a while. Either
    (a) he stowed away in the back of a log cabin at the end of the Xmas market and is now sticking his fingers up at other dwarves in Lapland

or

(b) the wild boar sandwich dude ran out of hog

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

People make it sound like the Roisin have a light license out of the kindess of their hearts or something. Surely the extra 2-3 hours custom more than covers the cost of a late license?

Of course it does,it more than covers it, they just know that there are enough suckers that will keep going back to get ripped off. Fools and their money are easily parted and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

Pretty sure the majority of late bars hike up prices after midnight. Certainly in Dublin there isn't a bar that doesn't do this. I assume the rationale is that staff ate getting paid more them for the unsociable hours but maybe not. Apologies if I'm repeating others, I didn't read the whole thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

ABSOLUTELY OUTRAGEOUS

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

do pubs pay staff extra on Sundays?
    If so they why don't they charge more for a pint, food etc on Sunday?

Precisley. You'd swear there was no mark up on the extra pints pubs sell after midnight and that that's the reason places have to charge extra.
    Of course it does,it more than covers it, they just know that there are enough suckers that will keep going back to get ripped off. Fools and their money are easily parted and all that.

dinneenp wrote: »
    do pubs pay staff extra on Sundays?
    If so they why don't they charge more for a pint, food etc on Sunday?

As far as I know, only restaurant staff get time and a half on a Sunday.

Only 43 posts. Not too much experience on internet forums?

It's a discussion forum. I'm not whining. Merely making a point and making people aware of it.

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realise the fact you had more posts than me automatically made you right. :rolleyes:

As for it being a discussion forum-yes, it is, which is why when everyone has tried to give a reply you've hit back with the exact same point you made yet again. There's not much discussion if you're not actually registering other peoples input.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

i have to agree with kraggy on this.

The sheer amount of people in late pubs more then makes up for the late license.

We have been getting ripped of on pints for years anyways, its not surprising tho from our publican friends.
    What is surprising tho is the sheeple willing to take this!
    "sure its only 50c!!!"
    And people wonder why a bottle of beer is 5euro!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement