Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Roisin increases prices after midnight

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Most late bars in the Uk do exactly the same thing (well they did until a few years back), so is it really a rip off if it is and seems like always has been an industry practice?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭cheesemaker

Webbs wrote: »
    Most late bars in the Uk do exactly the same thing (well they did until a few years back), so is it really a rip off if it is and seems like always has been an industry practice?

straw man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

straw man

??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

philbo wrote:
    Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realise the fact you had more posts than me automatically made you right.

As for it being a discussion forum-yes, it is, which is why when everyone has tried to give a reply you've hit back with the exact same point you made yet again. There's not much discussion if you're not actually registering other peoples input.

Dearest philbo, I am registering other people's input.

I'm addressing their opinions with clear responses. For example, the poster below put forth the following argument. I retorted with what might seem repetitive to you, but if you examine the thread, it's still relevant. Especially when point out the irrelevancy of this poster's message:
    OldAtHeart wrote: »
    To be fair, if you were having a good time with your mates and the Roisin suddenly said at 2am that they'd serve you for another hour, except the price of the pint would go u by another 50cent, you'd still pay the extra money.

They don't openly inform. That's my point.

Now, back to one of your posts:

philbo wrote: »
    OK. We get it. You've now repeated the same point around 6 or 7 times. What are you suggesting? Why don't you email the Roisin with your concerns and see what their response is? You seem to feel strongly enough about it to moan on here, but what are you actually willing to do about it?

Or is it just a bit of a whiney rant inspired by the embarrassment of not noticing a price increase in your 16 years of attending the same venue?[/QUOTE]

The current owners of the business are only in the door compared to the overall history of the Roisin Dubh. And how could I be embarrassed by not knowing about the price increases when they don't openly state in at the bar in any form of signage, only OUTSIDE the door, near ground level.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭misterdeeds

The increase is for paying for the late licence which is around 240 to 300 a night, and if the Roisin were raking it in why have they had to shut the bottom part on nights during the week when it's quiet, it's the same in many pub's across the country
    what a load of bollox its a rip off simple as

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

dafunk wrote: »
    Pretty sure the majority of late bars hike up prices after midnight. Certainly in Dublin there isn't a bar that doesn't do this. I assume the rationale is that staff ate getting paid more them for the unsociable hours but maybe not. Apologies if I'm repeating others, I didn't read the whole thread.

Do they f***. I've worked in nightclubs and got paid the same wage before 12 as after. Why would they bother compensating people for the unsociable hours? We're in a recession, people will jump at any opportunity of work no matter how crap the pay is, this is heaven for bosses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

jebus kraggy the pennies sure must be teight in your pocket if you are going through all this huffing and puffing over a few extra cent on a pint.

If i was you in a tought time like this, I wouldnt go out for pints, waste of money sure, espically being ripped off from pubs like this, not worth it. Just think of the children!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

50c on a pint is a lot if you're a regular and work late, so these 'unsociable' hours are basically when you go for your couple of pints after work. It has
    been stated on this thread that not all the other late pubs do this, so fair point to complain / bring it up IMO.
    I too would have more respect for a price hike at midnight if they had better signage. This way feels a bit sneaky and 'bare legal minimum'.
    I'm only there the odd time at that hour myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

The price increase has been going on for ages, my response is to rarely buy a pint there after midnight (you should be dancing by then anyway!).

As for not being informed, you're generally told the price of the drink when you're served it, so you could just say 'actually no, that's too expensive' and keep your money in your pocket. The barman may be disgruntled but you'd be within your rights, to the best of my knowledge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

You could just say 'actually no, that's too expensive' and keep your money in your pocket. The barman may be disgruntled but you'd be within your rights, to the best of my knowledge.

Good luck getting served again if you do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

lol. Haven't seen the lad in a while.

Spotted walking purposefully thru Eyre Square at 8:15am this morning. 'Tis a time when few of Galway's unemployed characters are around. Maybe he's got a job!

Columc wrote: »
    jebus kraggy the pennies sure must be teight in your pocket if you are going through all this huffing and puffing over a few extra cent on a pint.

If i was you in a tought time like this, I wouldnt go out for pints, waste of money sure, espically being ripped off from pubs like this, not worth it. Just think of the children!

I'm not huffing and puffing, merely expressing my points.

It is more a case of principle that bugs me. I just don't think it's fair to not alert people who are drinking that they're being charged more.

I'm finished with this. If the product was something else and the venue was different also, there wouldn't be as many people disagreeing with my point of view.

And this thing of "it's only a few cents" atttitude is part of what got this country in trouble. That arrogant, I can afford whatever, look at me spend, look how cool I am behaviour.

So kraggy .. with all your complaining I presume you've gotten in contact with the Roisin Dubh and organized a meeting with the managers. Right? Right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

So, on a sorta related note,

Supermacs in Eyre Square seem to do a similiar thing after about 1am every night..afaik where they up the prices by about 50c on everything, do they have a specific reason for this? I'm pretty sure the prices just change and there's no notice anywhere, not that I can see anyways. Is it to make a few quid outta drunken students when they're busiest or is it just because they can? I've always been a tad curious bout it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

When Supermacs brought that in they claimed it was to pay for the extra security staff needed after pub/club closing time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

kraggy wrote: »

And this thing of "it's only a few cents" atttitude is part of what got this country in trouble. That arrogant, I can afford whatever, look at me spend, look how cool I am behaviour.

The only a few cent attitude, is that I prefer to goto the roisin were it is free to enter that provide music and a nice drinking atmosphere for me and my freinds, they provide a nice smoking area and the staff are helpful and chatful. Since I am a college student I do watch my pennies and get baveria, which is a 20c increase after midnight, after midnight i would drink 3-4 pints maybe 5 max, That is an extra euro. What would you prefer, roisin to start charging people to enter to pay for their late license were it is around 5 euro these days? or a 20c increase in a pint.

Kellys work off their entrance fee from going upstairs, and i am unsure about the dail.

Its not an Arrogant behaviour, its a realisitc behaviour. Your the self rightious twat who thinks everything should be cut down by 99% because we are in a reccission, always trying to point out the the country is in trouble because of "us type".

Get off your high horse, if you dont like an establishment then dont go towards it.

I'm finished with this. If the product was something else and the venue was different also, there wouldn't be as many people disagreeing with my point of view.

Why? Because the people here like the roisin? becuase they provide a nice enjoyable drinking atmohsphere? Becuase generally people understand that it costs a lot of money to pay for a late license 7 days a week?

From anyone I have ever talked to everyone knows about the increase after midnight. May I suggest that its because of your type who dosent look at what they are purchasing and the price to question it that the country is in trouble? that you want something you just take out your wallet and pay, to find one day that you actualy use the only 2 brain cells you have to see that you have been paying a bit extra in this place here or that place there, and think it is scandalous because you want to watch your pennies now. The roisin are and established company that can charge what they want for their products, If you dont like it you simply dont have to go.

So kraggy .. with all your complaining I presume you've gotten in contact with the Roisin Dubh and organized a meeting with the managers. Right? Right?

I've done more than that actually. But can't divulge it on here.

Jesus, I must remember next time any of the posters on here complain about something they encounter while out spending money.

I'll come down on them like a ton of bricks if they complain. All I've done is provide a source of discussion and the attitude of some replies is downright aggressive.

The Galway forum seems to be the only forum on this site where the majority of people are smart-asses whose posts are a waste of space. I've spent much time reading the Dublin forums in the past and the atmostphere there is similar to the rest boards i.e. good craic, helfpul, plenty of advice, healthy debate etc.

The Roisin seems to be untouchable amongst some of you folk. I'm positive that if it was a different venue that I had mentioned as an example of what is a national problem, then there wouldn't have been such negativity towards my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

I've done more than that actually. But can't divulge it on here.

You railed against the unfairness of it all, swinging punches at barmen and smashing bottles at bouncers and customers while screaming "for the good of the proletariat!"?

Columc wrote: »
    The only a few cent attitude, is that I prefer to goto the roisin were it is free to enter that provide music and a nice drinking atmosphere for me and my freinds, they provide a nice smoking area and the staff are helpful and chatful. Since I am a college student I do watch my pennies and get baveria, which is a 20c increase after midnight, after midnight i would drink 3-4 pints maybe 5 max, That is an extra euro. What would you prefer, roisin to start charging people to enter to pay for their late license were it is around 5 euro these days? or a 20c increase in a pint.

Kellys work off their entrance fee from going upstairs, and i am unsure about the dail.

Its not an Arrogant behaviour, its a realisitc behaviour. Your the self rightious twat who thinks everything should be cut down by 99% because we are in a reccission, always trying to point out the the country is in trouble because of "us type".

Get off your high horse, if you dont like an establishment then dont go towards it.

Why? Because the people here like the roisin? becuase they provide a nice enjoyable drinking atmohsphere? Becuase generally people understand that it costs a lot of money to pay for a late license 7 days a week?

From anyone I have ever talked to everyone knows about the increase after midnight. May I suggest that its because of your type who dosent look at what they are purchasing and the price to question it that the country is in trouble? that you want something you just take out your wallet and pay, to find one day that you actualy use the only 2 brain cells you have to see that you have been paying a bit extra in this place here or that place there, and think it is scandalous because you want to watch your pennies now. The roisin are and established company that can charge what they want for their products, If you dont like it you simply dont have to go.

Firstly, the bits in bold. Attack the post, not the poster. I could report that post thus resulting in you getting a ban, but I won't bother.

I have said this a million times, this is not just the Roisin that I'm talking about. It's a national problem whereby the seller doesn't need to provide pricing details at the point of purchase i.e. the bar.

The extra custom derived from opening late is more than enough to pay for the late license.

Thirdly, when I referred to Kelly's, I was referring to downstairs. There is no surcharge for going in downstairs, even when they open late. They too can, in your own words, provide a nice enjoyable drinking atmohsphere, without having to increase the price of a pint.

To those of you on this thread who have felt the need to get snotty, aggressive and in the most recent post, insulting, let me ask you this question:

Do you think it's unreasonable for me to think that they should have a sign at the point of purchase notifying patrons that the increase takes place at midnight? If they did, I would have no problem with the Roisin, or any other establishment that stays open late in putting up prices.

Let me give an example..if you go pull into a petrol station, you see the price advertised on the big sign before you come off the road. However, you are again informed of the price at the pump before you fill up so that you are always aware of what you are paying.

The same conditions should apply at a bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ok reading through this we have arrived at the end, thanks kraggy for bringing this to our attention.
    Those among us that enjoy Roisin will have to keep this in mind.

(I was actually there on Saturday but at midnight the price increase didn't bother me lol)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement