Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JWshooter

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭steyrman2

tough one lads i met john a long time ago when he tipped around in his defender stalking met him in some strange places not the words he would use but i have great respect for him a big loss to his friends and family but a bigger lost to deer stalking a wealth of knowledge is gone forever i for one will miss him as i did know him may he rest in peace

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

RIP JW, only new him on Boards.ie as we shared the same interests, loved his posts and storys wheather on the Hunting forum or the cycling forum.
    My deepest sympathies to all his family,friends and boardsies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I'm really shocked and sorry to hear this and saddened that I never got the opportunity to meet him. We had a loose arrangement to meet up when next he was in Rathdrum, but it was never finalised.

A man with a lot to say and a lifetime's experience to back it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭GixxerThou

Terrible tragedy and the shooting community has lost one of its biggest personalities. John was a wealth of information and always had time to give advice to us amatures. Had huge respect for the mans ability and knowledge. Removal from Browns funeral home Enniscorthy tomorrow evening 6pm, Burrial after 12 o clock mass Monday, Rathnure.
    RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭ballistic

A terrilbe loss. May he rest in peace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭J. Ramone

From his posts here, it must be said he was a real character. I'm sure as much so in person.

Sad news. May he rest in peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

I didn't know him, boards hasn't the same vigour since his departure form this media,
    RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Shocked to hear of Johns passing, by a fluke I found out that John had bred the father of my GWP bitch here on boards.

Had a few telephone conversations with him but unfortunately I never got to meet the man in person.

Got a few infractions due to some heated debates here with him and if I had listened to some of his advice I'm sure I would have been banned of boards long before him.:D

He was sorely missed here over the last few months, I'm sure he's a terrible loss to his family and friends, may he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Didnt agree with him on a lot of things,and he with me,and no doubt we both peed off many here as well,inc mods.But I will say from his posts he belived passionately in his line and wouldnt budge from it either.For that I respected him that he stood his ground against all comers.

May he be in the happy hunting grounds this day.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Didnt agree with him on a lot of things,and he with me,and no doubt we both peed off many here as well,inc mods.But I will say from his posts he belived passionately in his line and wouldnt budge from it either.For that I respected him that he stood his ground against all comers.

May he be in the happy hunting grounds this day.

+1 on that

I had many a heated debate and PM him. I would still have shook his hand if I met him.

I could see where he was coming from on some things, and vastly disagree on others.

I think I received and infraction or two as a result of those heated debates, but I respected him as if he knew I was right he would agree.
    He never disagreed just for the sake of it.

My heart goes out for his family and friends and all those close to him.
    I've been thinking about JW all day, hard to believe someone I never met in the flesh.

An excerpt of a poem I think JW would like.

He is off by the hills of the morning,
    By the dim, untrodden ways;
    In the clean, wet, windy marshes
    He has startled the deer agraze;
    And a buck of the branching antlers
    Streams out from the fleeing herd,
    And the youth is apt to the running
    As the tongue to the spoken word.
    They have gone by the broken ridges, by mesa and hill and swale,
    Nor once did the red deer falter, nor the feet of the runner fail;
    So lightly they trod on the lupines that scarce were the flower-stalks bent,
    And over the tops of the dusky sage the wind of their running went.

John, I hope you rest in peace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭buckshotbrolan

Im very sad to hear of his passing. Allways enjoyed his posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

With tears in my eyes.

In the words of the ancient Irish prayer :

May the road always rise up to meet you,
    And the wind always be at your back,
    May the sun warm you by day,
    And the moon and stars guide you by night,
    May you be forty years in heaven
    Before the devil knows you've passed.

John, be safe on your journey!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭target

My heart goes out to John's family, he was a man I had a lot of time and respect for, a true supporter of clay pigeon shooting and one of the finest shot's I had the pleasure to see in action.

I remember a few years back when we tried to restart Double Trap shooting, it was John who came out and led the charge. I shot beside him that day and he wiped all of our eyes and did so with the charm and grace of a great sportsman. I'm sorry I never got to see John shoot on the ISSF World Cup circuit, I always hoped he would at some point. Such a great loss to shooting.

Ar Dheis Dé go raibh a anam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

RIP JW.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

The fact that John made such a big impact on so many people (most he hasn't even met) is a true measure of the mans character, skill and dedication.

RIP John, you'll clearly be missed

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭sikastag

Only knew of him through boards. Admired his confidence and dilligence to his beliefs. Im sure he will be missed by all.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Sorry to hear such bad news, as many others have said I only knew him through boards. He said what he had to say and you either liked it or lumped it. He stuck to his views and no matter what you had to admire him for that.
    May he rest in peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Just in case anybody has not seen the paper.

Removal from Browne’s Funeral Home, Enniscorthy this(Sunday) evening at 6 o’ clock to St. Anne’s Church, Rathnure. Funeral Mass tomorrow(Monday) at 12 noon with burial afterwards in Rathnure Cemetery

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

I keep checking in here, its so hard to believe that the JWshooter has gone, whether it was shooting, hunting,stalking, buying boots, cycling, building and
    any of the other topics he posted on you would think he was in the room with you by just reading his posts, its like loosing a very dear good friend.
    Think we havent heard the last of this man yet, seems he was held in high esteem in everything he done, so sorry I never got to meet this guy.

Again RIP JWshooter

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

I had the pleasure of being in one of Johns leases in Aughrim for 2 years. He was beside me the day I shot my first deer, and coached me right up to taking the shot, along with showing me how to field dress and giving me advice how to cook the beast. He was such a knowledgable man.
    Very upsetting news to see in logging into the shooting forum.
    John was a young, very fit man, and, far from being morbid, I can only presume it was a terrible accident?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

RIP JW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

It is with the deepest regret that the ICPSA has learned of the sudden death of John Wickham RIP.

John had represented Ireland Internationally in both Sporting and ABT on many occasions and over the years he had achieved much success in both disciplines while he was also a force to be recknoned with in DTL and indeed any discipline he turned his hand to.

While Wexford based John had not been active within the sport during the last two years, his interest in clay pigeon shooting and the ICPSA never relented and his loss will be felt widely by his many friends within the sport.

We would like to extend our sincere sympathy to Johns family and many friends, may he Rest In Peace.

http://www.icpsa.ie/notices/1818-John-Wickham-RIP.html

Rest In Peace JW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭John Griffin

I knew John Wickham well and considered him a friend. He was as passionate as any man can be about his sport and for this reason he excelled at everything he did. I knew him as a great deer stalker. John was the genuine article, he knew his stuff, he was honest and he never had any trouble letting you know where you stood with him.
    He is probably up there now with Saint Hubertus argueing with him over the 6.5x55 not being suitable for chesting sika deer and recounting all the animals he saw clients shoot and loose or that his dogs had to track for miles to find. Hope you find a nice lease John, don't call me about the poachers though.
    You were a good friend to many and you will be sorely missed by all that knew you. Rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

I knew John when he was active on the sporting clays circuit. He was always ready to offer useful advice and assistance to those of us who didn't possess his incredible natural talent. He was a real sportsman and will be sadly missed by anyone who had the privilige to shoot with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lefthooker

Like many others here I only knew of JW thru his contributions on Boards. Always admired the conviction in his views.

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭steyrman2

just back in from johns funeral sad day for everyone there lots of time to reflect on whats happened talking to a good few lads there everyone has the same questions and no answers i have know john for 15 years on and off and have fallen out with over time and met up again but i would never taught this day would come he will be missed all around the country by people that have never met him the just read his post on forums may he find rest and good hunting were ever he may be one thing i have learned this week is if you fall out with someone and you dont seen them for a year or two you should make a effort because if the die you will never get the chance again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

steyrman2 wrote: »
    just back in from johns funeral sad day for everyone there lots of time to reflect on whats happened talking to a good few lads there everyone has the same questions and no answers i have know john for 15 years on and off and have fallen out with over time and met up again but i would never taught this day would come he will be missed all around the country by people that have never met him the just read his post on forums may he find rest and good hunting were ever he may be one thing i have learned this week is if you fall out with someone and you dont seen them for a year or two you should make a effort because if the die you will never get the chance again

+1 on that comment

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭kakashka

John was a fighter,We fought the fight,respect to you John

Rest in peace

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭stick shooter

kakashka wrote: »
    John was a fighter,We fought the fight,respect to you John

Rest in peace

+ 1:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Rest in Peace John. You will be sorely missed here on boards and by all whom knew you personally. LB

Advertisement