Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disabled toilets..... who is entitled to use them?

Options
  • 29-01-2011 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have never posted here before, but feel I could use a few people's opinion on something which happened on Thursday.

I work in a primary school, where I work with a 12 year old boy with Down Syndrome and Autism(which is sever). He is non verbal (uses signs) and generally 'vacant' As part of his 'programme' we go on trips etc. So on Thursday we went to the Blanchardstown Shopping Centre.
    He needed to use the toilet, so I brought him to the nearest disabled one. Now, physically he is fine, can walk move fine etc but gets distracted easily (hand dryers, peoples movements mirriors etc). Also he may not close the door, pull up his pants etc which makes others uncomfortable.
    I let him do his business then when I heard the tap go on I opened the door to check He was ok. While he was drying his hands a man in a wheelchair arrived. I simply said 'We are almost finished' He tutted and rammed his wheels against the wall in annoyance.
    My boy came out and I went to hold the door open for the man and He started a torrent of what I can only describe as abuse 'He is clearly not in a wheelchair, He can walk fine, there is nothing wrong with him, people like you just abuse disabled toliets' with more swear words.
    I said 'I'm sorry you feel that way, but I'm sure you can understand, I can't bring him into the ladies toliets and I can't leave him go to the gents alone'
    His response 'He should go before he leaves the house'
    I was just in shock and my boy was getting upset at the mans loud voice so I just walked away.

Was I wrong to bring him to the disabled toilets?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

In construction I know they are called "Disabled Access" toilets and as such I feel they are a unisex toilet that anyone can use but are designed to be "Disabled" friendly.

Personally I dont see them the same as "Disabled Parking" bays in shopping centres or car parks. Just because someone is disabled doesnt mean they have any better rights to someone else wishing to use the toilet.

Im quite suprised at the behaviour of this man because normally people who are disabled just want to be left alone and not see their "Disablility" any different that someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

That's pretty obnoxious behaviour. Just goes to prove that people with disabilities are just like everyone else - mostly decent, and some horrible.

There is nothing explicit in legislation about who can/can't use accessible toilets. Certainly, a person with Downs Syndrome would fit the definitions of disability from either the Disability Act or the Equal Status Act.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Eph1958

No excuse for such ignorant, disgraceful behaviour. It is at the discretion of the Shopping Centre management who has the use of the disabled toilets, unlike parking spaces where there is an obligation on the user to have a current valid parking permit. I am not really sure who is responsible for policing their use though. In Beaumont Hospital last year, I waited with my son for some time outside the only available disabled toilet. After about 10 or 15 minutes out pops a hospital porter complete with a copy of the Sun under his arm!!!
    Disabled toilets are widely used by non-disabled people sometimes legitimely, sometimes not. I feel it is not right for the disabled person to assume the role of policing this practice and berate anyone else who they assume to be acting wrongly. By all means bring it to the attention of the relevant authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 plon

I attended an equality and diversity course and this subject was discussed. The view of the professional who did the lecture is that anybody can use a toilet which has been adapted for special needs.
    Pity you had to meet up with such a bad mannered person.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

as a person who has to use these toilets because i cannot get a walking frame in a normal toilet and need the bars beside the disabled ones too - i can understand the mans frustration as i often encounter someone using a disabled toilet when they seem able bodied and could manage just fine in a normal cubicle. annoys me as when i gotta go i gotta go and there is usually only 1 of these toilets.

BUT - he really needed an attitude check. he shouldnt rip into people without knowing the facts at least - the fact is you had a perfectly legitimate reason to need to use the disabled toilet.
    disabilities aren't all about mobility.
    i'm deaf too but before i had mobility problems i used the regular ladies loo. same when i was using a walking stick: because i had no need at all to use the disabled, who knows when a disabled person will come along.

it doesnt seem to be a legal issue. its just a conscientous issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

I use the disabled toliets with my daughter, shes 8, but sometimes may need help and supervision.If I was ever stopped,I would first...well to be honest, I thinkI would let rip into the person.Some disabilitys arent visable to everyone.They are for people with a disability.I have a really bad back, so even I need the extra space to be able to bend down to help her.What a terrible experiance for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 colophon

Yeah, echoing others' sentiments that the guy was way out of line. I don't think that disabled toilets should be exclusive to disabled people, although I do think disabled parking spots should be.

Advertisement