Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What size (MB and/or pixels) for screencast video online?

Options
  • 29-01-2011 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm creating a bunch (5-10 or so) of screencasts, i.e. recording some stuff on screen. I'm trying to find a good balance between high quality and decent streaming speed. Videos will be in a private area of a customer site (i.e can't go on YouTube etc).

The video has been recorded at 1280x720px in Camtasia and I'm looking to produce possibly at 960x540 but keeping high quality. I think the decision is similar to asking when should one choose a 92% JPEG as opposed to a 50% JPEG for web usage.

One possible solution is create a lower quality version of each, we're considering that.

Anyway, the issue is how big can we go in MB for say an 8 minute 960x540 video before we start annoying viewers with long buffer times? Any links/resources/tips on this issue?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Offer an SD and HD version similar to youtube.

Everyone's connection speed will be different so it would be hard to give a one size fits all answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I find Camtasia's presets are pretty good.

BTW, you can host on YouTube and sill keep the videos private.

Advertisement