Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Torres & Carroll Valuation

• 29-01-2011 1:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭

If Andy Carroll is worth a reported £23m. how is Torres valued at only £40m? surely minuium price should be £60m if not slightly more..he is the finished article after all. not many players like him in world football at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

all about nationality Carroll is English so his price goes up 10M right away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Transfer valuations are arbitrary. The determining factors in each individual case will different.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

I doubt theres any clubs out there that would pay that money for Carrol tbh, he has alot to prove, There was talk a couple of seasons back of Agbonlahor being worth £20mil, not a chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Nozebleed wrote: »
    If Andy Carroll is worth a reported £23m. how is Torres valued at only £40m? surely minuium price should be £60m if not slightly more..he is the finished article after all. not many players like him in world football at the moment.

Glen Johnson is worth 18 million so Carroll must be 200 million given your logic :rolleyes:

A player is "worth" what a team will pay for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

If Carroll can prove that he can stay fit and put together 2 seasons of 20+ goals then I reckon he's worth that kind of money. Not yet though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Torres is also 5 years older and has a rough history with injuries.

He isn't worth the reported £40m either btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

According to the Liverpool thread, Torres is out of form, past his peak, half the player he used to be, injury prone etc.

40 millions almost starts to look too high...

I doubt theres any clubs out there that would pay that money for Carrol tbh, he has alot to prove, There was talk a couple of seasons back of Agbonlahor being worth £20mil, not a chance

Carroll is a better player than Agbonlahor.

I think there would be a few clubs who'd snap up AC for 20m or so if they thought Newcastle would do a deal.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Torres is also 5 years older and has a rough history with injuries.

He isn't worth the reported £40m either btw.

He's worth what a club will pay for him

rarnes1 wrote: »
    He's worth what a club will pay for him

Fine I'll rephrase for the pedants - no club should be paying £40m for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

Carroll is a better player than Agbonlahor.

I think there would be a few clubs who'd snap up AC for 20m or so if they thought Newcastle would do a deal.

Just heard on the radio, Spurs have had a £20mill offer rejected, mad money imo, he hasnt proved anything yet, a big risk

Fine I'll rephrase for the pedants - no club should be paying £40m for him.

If they can afford him, why not.

He has a better goals per game than Rooney and Drogba in the EPL.

His fitness is the only sticking point.

Just heard on the radio, Spurs have had a £20mill offer rejected, mad money imo, he hasnt proved anything yet, a big risk

Maybe so but if I was a manager with 20m to spare I'd risk it on Carroll. I think he's going to be a top player.

If he's a success and the chances are he will be if you're going to sell him on you've doubled your money at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Torres is worth nothing like 40million. Far to injury prone. Blows hot and cold far to often and judging by the way he carrys himself these days he could be past his best, his attitude to the game has gone downhill and just looks like he doesn't care that much anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

The english player premium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

A pretty big one to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭mixed up

I can't believe the money involved in football it's beyond a joke so the way football is torres is worth whatever money either chelsea or whoever will give for him.The people saying torres is worth 40 million do me a favor nobody is worth that, were in the middle of a recession and torres is worth 40 million to kick football :confused:

mixed up wrote: »
    I can't believe the money involved in football it's beyond a joke so the way football is torres is worth whatever money either chelsea or whoever will give for him.The people saying torres is worth 40 million do me a favor nobody is worth that, were in the middle of a recession and torres is worth 40 million to kick football :confused:

Football transcends EVERYTHING.

You really should know this by now.

I think there's better value abroad in terms of age and fitness. If Torres is missing months on end he isn't worth much to a side pushing for honours on a number of fronts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Wait til you hear how much Ronaldo went for, you're in for a shock...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I agree totally. If this madness continues, the Premiership will implode in the next 5yrs. All that needs to happen is for some authority to stunt Sky's monopoly. Once that source is affected , some sense of real value might come into play.

I think there's better value abroad in terms of age and fitness. If Torres is missing months on end he isn't worth much to a side pushing for honours on a number of fronts.

Perhaps but Chelsea obviously disagree

I agree totally. If this madness continues, the Premiership will implode in the next 5yrs. All that needs to happen is for some authority to stunt Sky's monopoly. Once that source is affected , some sense of real value might come into play.

I'm not disagreeing with you but somebody probably said that 5 years ago. And Sky don't have a monopoly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Talk that Newcastle put a £30m valuation on Carroll maybe a 20m + Pav swap?

Carroll is very young also so in part you would be paying for potential if he can avoid the drink and the fights he could be a top player in fact he could be the player we need, I wouldn't be too worried about spending 20m on him myself I think he will be excellent

Talk that Newcastle put a £30m valuation on Carroll maybe a 20m + Pav swap?

Carroll is very young also so in part you would be paying for potential if he can avoid the drink and the fights he could be a top player in fact he could be the player we need, I wouldn't be too worried about spending 20m on him myself I think he will be excellent

You value Pav at 10 million? :pac:

Newcastle certainly won't (barring another cashley lurch)

As a Newcastle fan it would start to make sense to sell at 30 million but not for less, I would probably question the logic of signing him if the roles were reversed though. He is at the end of the day unproven.

^Agree with this.

Pav and Keane are on a similar level, nothing special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

abelard wrote: »
    According to the Liverpool thread, Torres is out of form, past his peak, half the player he used to be, injury prone etc.

40 millions almost starts to look too high...

Friom what I see week in week out

Is a player who was bought with promises, those promises never materialised, the man who bought him left, the team and club falling apart and off the pace.

He looks to be a player who literally doesnt want to be there

And there is an old saying that "an unhappy player quickly turns into an injury prone player"

Wouldnt be suprised that with a move to a bigger club playing CL football week in week out, his form will sky rocket.

I'm sure he doesnt appreciate how the only negative thing said about Spains world cup was " Torres was poor"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

£30m for Carroll? Is that a pound for every drink he has on a night out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

M5 wrote: »
    You value Pav at 10 million? :pac:

Newcastle certainly won't (barring another cashley lurch)

As a Newcastle fan it would start to make sense to sell at 30 million but not for less, I would probably question the logic of signing him if the roles were reversed though. He is at the end of the day unproven.

make sense to sell at 30m????:confused:

the lad is raw , totally unproven. better out there for that kinda money than Carroll imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Carroll is very young also so in part you would be paying for potential if he can avoid the drink and the fights he could be a top player

My sentiments exactly.
    Unfortunately, so far he's shaping up more like a Duncan Ferguson.

milltown wrote: »
    My sentiments exactly.
    Unfortunately, so far he's shaping up more like a Duncan Ferguson.

Big Dunc, it's while since his name's cropped up. Totally forgot about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Well let's talk about drogbas and Rooney fitness so, since torres joined Liverpool he has played more league games than drogba and two yes only ****en two less than Rooney, why does no one call these players injury prone

BERBA wrote: »
    make sense to sell at 30m????:confused:

the lad is raw , totally unproven. better out there for that kinda money than Carroll imo

You missed my point. For Newcastle there is no sense selling for less than 30 million. It would cost a fortune to replace him. It would be difficult to attract a 20 goals a season player to Newcastle after we had sold arguably our biggest asset. So... in my opinion it would send out the wrong signals as to the intentions of the club unless it was a ridiculous amount of money aka 30M when it becomes stupid not to take it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

If I was Liverpool, I'd take the money for Torres and run

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Dave! wrote: »
    Wait til you hear how much Ronaldo went for, you're in for a shock...

Worth every penny, sure real have made the money they have spent on him anayways and look what he has done with them ,scoring a goal a game, far far better plater than torres

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

niallo27 wrote: »
    Well let's talk about drogbas and Rooney fitness so, since torres joined Liverpool he has played more league games than drogba and two yes only ****en two less than Rooney, why does no one call these players injury prone

Interesting stat. I would have thought he had played a lot less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

David villa who is better than torres went to barca for 34m

Rob113 wrote: »
    Interesting stat. I would have thought he had played a lot less.

Drogba has played 97 games, Torres 101 and Rooney 103
    Drogba has scored 51 goals, Torres 65 and Rooney 42

These are all league statistics

David villa who is better than torres went to barca for 34m

3 years older though

Advertisement