Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road conditions - Sally Gap

• 29-01-2011 1:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭

Anyone up that way this morning or yesterday? Are roads free of ice/snow?

Thanks, Paul

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Did the road from Crone to Glencee and back to Enniskerry this morning, no issues with the road, dry and no ice.

Not quite all the way up to the gap height though

Just watch out for the ignorant **** driving the pink "Day Tour of Wicklow" bus, he nearly squashed me this morning, swinging out onto my side of the road and forced me up into a driveway to avoid him :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Thanks. I'll only make it that far myself at this hour:(, should've got off my ass earlier.

I'll keep an eye out for that bus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

Just watch out for the ignorant **** driving the pink "Day Tour of Wicklow" bus, he nearly squashed me this morning, swinging out onto my side of the road and forced me up into a driveway to avoid him :mad::mad::mad:

Here ye go

http://www.coachtoursofireland.ie/testimonials/#experience

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭markdrayton

It's fine. Crossed north-south yesterday, south-north today. Odd bits of ice where water crosses the road but you'll see them in plenty of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭g0g

'twas cold up that way today! :eek: ....but the weather otherwise was stunning - lovely views and lots of people out! A puddlbe right at the crossroads had about 2cm of solid ice at the surface of it around 11/12. Passed a few obvious patches of ice crossing Dublin Mountains to Glencree, and then a couple of slushy (!!!) spots along Lough Tay coming down, but otherwise was fine on the road!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Not really ice related but cycled up Sally's Gap a week or two ago (from Cruagh Road side) and the road from the top on was covered in loose chippings. I found it quite difficult to cycle on, so took the first turn off and went down to Enniskerry.

I just cycle up as far as the start of the resurfacing now, can anyone tell me if the road conditions have improved enough to cycle on comfortably?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Surprised to see this thread resurrected:). Those wonderful, bright, dry, winter days are now just a distant memory.

The Wicklow County Council resurfacing works (i.e. throwing a pile of gravel on the road and waiting for the traffic to spread it around a bit) goes from the Dublin-Wicklow border at the feather beds to just beyond Glencree and a few km down towards Crone Car Park. From Glencree up to Sally Gap is fine. It's mostly bedded in at this stage though the edges are still bad. Only dodgy spot is the fast right hand bend approaching Glencree from Dublin.

I'd recommend 25c tyres if you can tolerate the incredible extra aerodynamic drag, the massive extra weight and the disdainful scorn of any "true roadies" you might come across.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Trouble with me is the road surface there is just a blur (at my speeds*) so it's hard to tell if there's loose gravel.

*Or is it my eyesight?...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭Sr. Assumpta

ozzy jr wrote: »
    Not really ice related but cycled up Sally's Gap a week or two ago (from Cruagh Road side) and the road from the top on was covered in loose chippings. I found it quite difficult to cycle on, so took the first turn off and went down to Enniskerry.

I just cycle up as far as the start of the resurfacing now, can anyone tell me if the road conditions have improved enough to cycle on comfortably?

Cycled the re-surfaced section over the weekend, chippings have settled in nicely.

Advertisement