Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Secret Footballer - What Players Really Think Of Pundits

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

This guy on twitter has done some investigation apparently and reckons it's down to down Paul Robinson (thought TSF wasn't a 'keeper though), Charlie Adam (TSF was thought to be English) and Chris Samba (also not English).

http://www.balls.ie/2012/09/05/football-fan-on-twitter-all-but-identifies-the-secret-footballer/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

This guy on twitter has done some investigation apparently and reckons it's down to down Paul Robinson (thought TSF wasn't a 'keeper though), Charlie Adam (TSF was thought to be English) and Chris Samba (also not English).

http://www.balls.ie/2012/09/05/football-fan-on-twitter-all-but-identifies-the-secret-footballer/

That was quickly rubbished

They searched the hosting details for the website which went back to a football agency, where these three players are part of. That agency also has Nani and a host of other lads. It just so happens the three above are the latest signings to that agency.

I picked up the book today for €3 from Amazon for my Nexus 7, looking forward to getting stuck in. Love following the columns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

David Kitson hasn't won back to back player of the year awards which he mentions having done.

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

opr wrote: »
    David Kitson hasn't won back to back player of the year awards which he mentions having done.

Opr

I'd say a good few red herrings are thrown in along the way. There's some website that lists all the hints/clues that have been thrown out and I reckon it'd be impossible for one single player to tick all th boxes.

Its also possible its just a journo or group of journo's rehashing gossip and stories they've heard over the years and fabricated this anonymous identity to give it more credibility and create a bit of a stir around it. Epic trolling if so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Interesting interview here with the man himself

http://www.football365.com/f365-features/8053694/Secret-Footballer

Here's a snippet...
    You do specifically mention Ashley Cole and Robbie Savage as players you aren't a great fan of - do you particularly dislike these two, or they 'easy' targets that nobody likes too much?

I'm not sure that I said I wasn't a fan of either of them. Obviously Cole does himself no favours with some of the stories that surround him but personally I have no problem with him, other than whenever it kicks off against Chelsea he is the one hiding behind Terry and Lampard while calling us all, c***s and shouting f**k you! I look around trying to work out where this voice is coming from and its always him peering out from behind a bigger player - it's like a playground scene. You have to laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

pimg5033df8542cae_front.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

opr wrote: »

Opr

Hmm, can't be too many who've done that? Should narrow it down. Could be any division though - not just Premiership? Or does he say otherwise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What kind of moron spends such ludicrous amounts of money and forgets that he's supposed to pay tax? So much for TSF being an intelligent person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The more you think about it Kitson makes the most sense, I'd say he won Reading PotY twice in a row and I can imagine he became disillusioned after his ill fated Stoke move...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Can someone list TSF most shocking or controversial revelations?

I heard he has tweeted some extreme stuff also. I've had a look at his guardian articles but there are way to many to get through. A summary of his best scandal would be nice. :D

Thanks in advance

Can someone list TSF most shocking or controversial revelations?

I heard he has tweeted some extreme stuff also. I've had a look at his guardian articles but there are way to many to get through. A summary of his best scandal would be nice. :D

Thanks in advance

Had a quick glance through the book, some mental ****.

The sexual antics are...mental...and seemingly footballer wives doing the dirt is commonplace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Downloaded it lastnight on Kindle and 3 chapters in now, really interesting read and enjoying it so far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

William Hill have a market on who the secret footballer is, Dave Kitson is the clear favorite at 5/4, the rest are at least 12/1.

Bet void if he doesn't reveal his identity by 31st December on thesecretfootballer.com

http://sports.williamhill.com/bet/en-ie/betting/e/3434686/sp/Who-is-The-Secret-Footballer%3f.html

maximoose wrote: »
    Downloaded it lastnight on Kindle and 3 chapters in now, really interesting read and enjoying it so far!

Got some laugh over his fine for having the ****s

In summary, had the squirts and couldnt get into training, manager told him to get in, went in stopping for ****s on the side of the road. Collapsed on physio table when he arrived in, and the manager asked the physio was he sick.

When confirmed, the manager told him to **** off back home so he doesn't spread it to others and he was being fined £1000 for being late

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Just looked at Kitson's Wikepedia page (I know, I know) he was a member of the 2002-2003 Football League Third Division Team when at Cambridge United and also the Reading Player of the Season for 2003-2004 so stretching the definitions of POTY here it could well be him. Can't seem to see if Cambridge United ever published their POTY lists.

However one would assume if he made the League's best team lists and was the only one from CU to do so that year then he may well have achieved POTY.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Its definitely Kitson now.
    Here is an article from 2007
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2007/dec/29/newsstory.reading

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Just found a download for it there,seems interesting enough from the two chapters that I've read so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Just looked at Kitson's Wikepedia page (I know, I know) he was a member of the 2002-2003 Football League Third Division Team when at Cambridge United and also the Reading Player of the Season for 2003-2004 so stretching the definitions of POTY here it could well be him. Can't seem to see if Cambridge United ever published their POTY lists.

However one would assume if he made the League's best team lists and was the only one from CU to do so that year then he may well have achieved POTY.
    He made the pfa player of the year third division team in 02-03 and was the only Cambridge to do that so you'd imagine he had to be their poy that season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

From the half of the book I've read so far he seems to reference Stoke a lot too when speaking about tactics and styles. Certainly enough to make you think he'd had some experience of it on the inside, although there's nothing said that isn't evident to the naked eye I suppose.

Found this when searching on Google:
    Evidence that its Dave Kitson from some of the past Secret Footballer articles ...

Started career in lower leagues - Cambridge

Been a member of a side promoted to the Premier League - Reading

He has played for a newly promoted Premier League club - Reading

Played last game of the season needing to win to avoid relegation - Reading

Has been relegated from Premier League - Reading

Has been a record transfer signing - Stoke bought him for record 5.5 million

That transfer did not work out - failed to score all season - played 18, 0 goals
    Moved clubs on transfer deadline day - Stoke to Portsmouth

Career on the wane - was once tipped to play for England, now can't get in
    Portsmouth team just relegated to League One

Friends with an African who once played in Russia - Andre Bikey at Reading

Once saw his manager pick up the chairman and throw him out the dressing room- could only be in the lower leagues surely - has to be John Beck at Cambridge

Has also talked about growing up on a council estate and from the articles has almost certainly played for teams in provincial 1 team towns - Reading, Portsmouth, Stoke

Then the article posted earlier is referenced too.

Then there's this from the Secret Footballer:
    The background to all this was that I'd had an operation a few weeks before and, as a result, was taking some pretty heavy-duty prescription pain relief. I mentioned this to a journalist and, from there, the Chinese whispers began. My friend didn't say anything, but that didn't stop his newspaper from trying to run a story the very next day suggesting I had overdosed on painkillers.

And the following story about Kitson appeared in 2006 (although it doesn't say he overdosed, but does mention he passed out):

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/readingfc/s/2006205_kitson_reveals_appendix_horror_story

He also mentions he was badly treated by a Scandanvian player early in his career and he played with Demba Traore (Swedish despite the name) at Cambridge:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demba_Traor%C3%A9

Speaks about seedy activities in South Korea and he played in the Korea Peace Cup with Reading in 2007.

Speaks about the blame game and player v manager in the media, here's evidence:

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2557/news/2010/05/03/1906649/stoke-city-forward-dave-kitson-tony-pulis-is-unfairly-blaming-me-

Of course there'll be a few red herrings thrown in along the way, but I'd safely say it's Kitson at this stage.

EDIT - More clues added above. It has to be Kitson!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    The thing that did it for me was when I read the "secret footballer" say when talking about Antonio Valencia "He blocked my clearance once and it felt like I had been hit by a car."

He ticks a lot of the boxes. In fact he may have been at Pompey when Harry was there for those wondering about that? England could have been at U-21's or maybe he was brought in to train with the squad? But that video above was enough for me. Don't know how I would feel reading the book now with the idea that it was Dave Kitson's autobiography.

Just on the Valencia block - that video doesn't match up to what he actually described:
    "Antonio Valencia once blocked a clearance of mine and I swear it was like being hit by a car. That's what I remember thinking as several fans helped me out of the stand and back on the pitch." linky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Just finished it there, cracking book and even if you don't like football it's well worth a read from a sociology perspective.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's Kitson, I interviewed him back around 2006 when he was heavily linked with a declaration for Ireland. Gave me his mobile number and everything no bother, and was a great talker. Could definitely see him being articulate enough anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Ordered the book online earlier, looking forward to reading it now after the positive reviews

I've never ever been interested in reading books before but in the last few months been picking up loads of footie books. This is a cracking read. Pity it seems to have been spoiled that its Kitson, would have liked not to have known.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭Felexicon

TheDoc wrote: »
    I've never ever been interested in reading books before but in the last few months been picking up loads of footie books. This is a cracking read. Pity it seems to have been spoiled that its Kitson, would have liked not to have known.
    Have you read Gary Nevilles Autobiography. It's a great read for any United fan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Felexicon wrote: »

Just finished it . Starting on the Secret Footballer today .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Felexicon wrote: »

I'm a Liverpool fan and it's a great read. A very honest account of his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Pro. F wrote: »
    Just on the Valencia block - that video doesn't match up to what he actually described:
    "Antonio Valencia once blocked a clearance of mine and I swear it was like being hit by a car. That's what I remember thinking as several fans helped me out of the stand and back on the pitch." linky

That's probably a red herring. How many players has Valencia ever bundled into the stand after a collision? You would probably be able to use that one incident alone to identify the Secret Footballer, were it true.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Just finished it there, cracking book and even if you don't like football it's well worth a read from a sociology perspective.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's Kitson, I interviewed him back around 2006 when he was heavily linked with a declaration for Ireland. Gave me his mobile number and everything no bother, and was a great talker. Could definitely see him being articulate enough anyway.

Class that. I just know I'd leave my phone lying around and one my mates would end up ringing or sending him messages though :pac:

He also says he roomed with a player who had a bad gambling addiction but who eventually got the help he needed. That screams Matty Etherington to me. Kitson played with him at Stoke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

It also couldnt be a big name player as he would sell more books using his real name

Well finished it just there

Tremendous read, well put together and thoroughly enjoyable. There was some interesting insights into the life of a footballer, and its not all roses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Reading through this and absolutely loving it. Great read so far.

Just out of curiosity. Anyone know who the Footballer's Wife from the Dubai swimming pool story is? I can think of a few candidates but is there a consensus out there as to who it definitely is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

MrStuffins wrote: »

Just out of curiosity. Anyone know who the Footballer's Wife from the Dubai swimming pool story is? I can think of a few candidates but is there a consensus out there as to who it definitely is?

I have some feeling its Colleen Rooney. Known in other social circles, lad is now an England international...makes sense but never fully know.

MrStuffins wrote: »

Danielle Lloyd with a doubt for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Paully D wrote: »

Who's she married to? Is that Crouchys wan.

Mushy wrote: »

Jamie O'Hara. But she's been with almost everyone at Spurs at one stage or another. Defoe etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Was a great read but quite short.

The Barca celebrations and the Las Vegas stories stand out.
    Very interesting take on the life of a modern footballer.

I said it weeks ago that it was Kitson and read it with that in mind. No doubt its him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Mushy wrote: »

Abby Clancy is a possibility. Who was the other footballer though. Good looking chap probably played with reading. Have no idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

Kitson didnt play abroad though! it cant be him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I dunno. he says a footballer who "You'll all know".

Jamie O'Hara is so far from a household name his name is homeless!

Kitson didnt play abroad though! it cant be him

Everyone knows it's him now so he'll start throwing out a few things like that in order for people to say it's not him. The game is over, it's Kitson.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭ohyesthefinest

Everyone knows it's him now so he'll start throwing out a few things like that in order for people to say it's not him. The game is over, it's Kitson.

Hes very secretive about this book he hopes to bring out, has to be him

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/pompey-past/kitson-to-go-the-distance-for-new-book-1-3026897

Hes very secretive about this book he hopes to bring out, has to be him

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/pompey-past/kitson-to-go-the-distance-for-new-book-1-3026897

Very into wine too he says, which is mentioned a few times in the book. There's not a doubt in my mind that it's Kitson now and a couple of pages back I posted loads of other things that fit such as Korean tour, Scandinavian player who gave him a hard time etc.

The secret is out now so I'd be surprised if he didn't keep trying to drip feed false things to put people off the scent.

• Advertisement

this aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i only skimmed briefly, but am i right in saying that it doesnt actually say that the stories there are about him playing abroad? the intro is about players moving abroad, and the title is, and there are references to the difference between clubs abroad and the differences between ones in britain, but from the wording of the anecdotes, i can't find anything to actually say he's not talking about a move to a club in britain, but a very multicultural one

cleverly edited to make it seem like he's not kitson?

Helix wrote: »
    i only skimmed briefly, but am i right in saying that it doesnt actually say that the stories there are about him playing abroad? the intro is about players moving abroad, and the title is, and there are references to the difference between clubs abroad and the differences between ones in britain, but from the wording of the anecdotes, i can't find anything to actually say he's not talking about a move to a club in britain, but a very multicultural one

cleverly edited to make it seem like he's not kitson?

Nah its not edited cleverly or anything ..
    ". I learnt so much in my time at the club that I would definitely advise a young player, or any player for that matter, to have a go at playing abroad."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Nah its not edited cleverly or anything ..
    ". I learnt so much in my time at the club that I would definitely advise a young player, or any player for that matter, to have a go at playing abroad."

yeah but that doesnt explicitly say he played abroad, that couldve been from his time at portsmouth who had an absolutely massive number of foreigners, and he's saying that based on that, he recommends players try going abroad. i dont think it's quite as transparent as it appears on face value

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Neil3030 wrote: »
    That's probably a red herring. How many players has Valencia ever bundled into the stand after a collision? You would probably be able to use that one incident alone to identify the Secret Footballer, were it true.

If the bit about going into the crowd is a red hearing then saying that he was blocked hard by Valencia while making a clearance doesn't narrow it down very much at all. Valencia will have blocked loads of players like that, so that video Mikey posted doesn't lend much weight to the argument of it being Kitson either way.

All the other stuff does certainly make it look like it's Kitson though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement