Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Secret Footballer - What Players Really Think Of Pundits

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

Helix wrote: »
    yeah but that doesnt explicitly say he played abroad, that couldve been from his time at portsmouth who had an absolutely massive number of foreigners, and he's saying that based on that, he recommends players try going abroad. i dont think it's quite as transparent as it appears on face value

If you actually read the article is is fairly clear he is describing a year playing abroad with references to a gap year student and speaking english in a foreign country. Whoever wrote/edit this article isnt trying to be be clever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭toc2012

Ian Heart, Dennis Berkamp or Manny Petit, IMO, would love to read this book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Its pretty good so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

I'm about half way through and getting fairly pissed off with his 'poor me I'm depressed, you don't know how hard it is' attitude

Perhaps I'm being too harsh, I don't know much about depression, but the lads never done a days work in his life, earns more then most do in a life time, in one month, and despite being ugly as sin, is always going to have his pick of the birds

If it is that bad, and assuming it is someone as well known as dave kitson, why not just retire and do a cat Stevens, disappear from the limelight? It wouldn't take long for him to be forgotten by the media etc

I also thought the references to Robert enke were a bit out of line. Enke suffered through a lot, much of which he'd have faced had he not been a professional footballer

As I said, I don't want to appear ignorant to depression, but these lads are in a position, should they choose, to pack in the day job and go fulfil any ambitions they may have in life. Give it a month or two and theyd soon be free of the limelight and pressure that they apparently scorn. You don't hear of many packing it in to do that though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

A Life Too Short is a great read, sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

LiamoSail wrote: »
    I'm about half way through and getting fairly pissed off with his 'poor me I'm depressed, you don't know how hard it is' attitude

Perhaps I'm being too harsh, I don't know much about depression, but the lads never done a days work in his life, earns more then most do in a life time, in one month, and despite being ugly as sin, is always going to have his pick of the birds

If it is that bad, and assuming it is someone as well known as dave kitson, why not just retire and do a cat Stevens, disappear from the limelight? It wouldn't take long for him to be forgotten by the media etc

I also thought the references to Robert enke were a bit out of line. Enke suffered through a lot, much of which he'd have faced had he not been a professional footballer

As I said, I don't want to appear ignorant to depression, but these lads are in a position, should they choose, to pack in the day job and go fulfil any ambitions they may have in life. Give it a month or two and theyd soon be free of the limelight and pressure that they apparently scorn. You don't hear of many packing it in to do that though

From what I've read of his articles (but not his book) it sounds like clinical depression. If that is the case then it doesn't matter who he is, how rich he is, or how easy it would be to leave his job - clinical depression is going to make his life very difficult. And that's putting it mildly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Jesus!
    As I said, I don't want to appear ignorant to depression.......

Then delete your entire post!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Jesus!
    As I said, I don't want to appear ignorant to depression.......

Then delete your entire post!

What have I said there that isn't true?

From the outside looking in, he would seem to have a very easy life. I haven't been too critical of him, I just stated, as I'm sure many without a knowledge of depression perceive it, that he seems to have a handy number

I'm not saying my perception is correct, but I don't think I've stated anything outrageous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

From the outside looking in, he would seem to have a very easy life. I haven't been too critical of him, I just stated, as I'm sure many without a knowledge of depression perceive it, that he seems to have a handy number

I'm not saying my perception is correct, but I don't think I've stated anything outrageous

clinical depression has absolutely nothing to do with how handy, or difficult, your life is ffs

From the outside looking in, he would seem to have a very easy life.

And what the f*ck has having an easy life got to do with depression.

You know there's a difference between suffering from depression and being sad right?

• Advertisement

[

clinical depression has absolutely nothing to do with how handy, or difficult, your life is ffs

How am I supposed to know that? I didn't know he was clinically depressed. Once it was mentioned by ProF, I thanked the post as it answered my post, and didn't reply as its not something I know about, hence don't have anything to base an opinion on

I posted what is no doubt a quiet commonly held opinion, I specifically apologised if it were perceived as an ignorant one, though given my lack of knowledge on the subject, how could it be anything but

What I posted was done respectfully, and was how I, like many others who know nothing of the condition, would perceive his comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

How am I supposed to know that? I didn't know he was clinically depressed. Once it was mentioned by ProF, I thanked the post as it answered my post, and didn't reply as its not something I know about, hence don't have anything to base an opinion on

I posted what is no doubt a quiet commonly held opinion, I specifically apologised if it were perceived as an ignorant one, though given my lack of knowledge on the subject, how could it be anything but

What I posted was done respectfully, and was how I, like many others who know nothing of the condition, would perceive his comments

it only takes 2 seconds to google something

How am I supposed to know that?

Sigh
    I posted what is no doubt a quiet commonly held opinion

Ah that's grand then! "I don't know anything about this subject but here, have some ignorant misconceptions anyway"

I don't know much about Haberdashery, so i tend not to throw around ignorant views about it!

From the outside looking in, he would seem to have a very easy life.

And what the f*ck has having an easy life got to do with depression.

You know there's a difference between suffering from depression and being sad right?

Yeah of course I do, but without having ever giving it much thought, I've always just assumed one was a prolonged version if the other. I do appreciate there is more to it then that, In just unaware of what it is

I don't mean to be ignorant, and genuinely do apologise as im obviously coming across as such. I know nothing about the condition though I do appreciate its very serious, and while Ive said I've little sympathy for the secret footballer suffering from it, I do have great sympathy for ordinary folk suffering from it

Perhaps I would have sympathy for him if I understood it, but I don't and you can't be surprised that opinions such as this are common

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

kryogen wrote: »
    A Life Too Short is a great read, sad.

excellent read, good keeper and good man by sounds of it too.

[

Ah that's grand then! "I don't know anything about this subject but here, have some ignorant misconceptions anyway"

I don't know much about Haberdashery, so i tend not to throw around ignorant views about it!

It was my perception, a common one at that, that I posted

I didn't read a book about depression and then post an uninformed opinion on it, I read a book about football that touches on depression and posted an opinion on what I read. As I said, I meant no offence to anyone and did leave myself open to correction by specifically staying I was posting from a position of little knowledge on that particular topic

[]

it only takes 2 seconds to google something

Fair point, and with hindsight I should have done so prior to posting

I'm going to leave it there because there's little point in me carrying on this discussion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Fair point, and with hindsight I should have done so prior to posting

I'm going to leave it there because there's little point in me carrying on this discussion

Absolutely it should never have been started in the first place and, has been pointed out, a little bit of research would have prevented it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭stesaurus

It was my perception, a common one at that, that I posted

I didn't read a book about depression and then post an uninformed opinion on it, I read a book about football that touches on depression and posted an opinion on what I read. As I said, I meant no offence to anyone and did leave myself open to correction by specifically staying I was posting from a position of little knowledge on that particular topic

See this is the problem. People like to believe they're entitled to opinions on all manner of life. This is just plain wrong. If you don't have the knowledge/experience then why should you be entitled to have an opinion on the matter?
    Anyway, glad you've admitted you should have left it alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Regarding the bit where Valencia blocks his clearance like a freight train so he ends up in with the fans, is there any grounds left where that can happen?
    Most are surrounded now by the hoardings etc., so the fans are removed from the pitch by a good distance.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

s.welstead wrote: »
    See this is the problem. People like to believe they're entitled to opinions on all manner of life. This is just plain wrong. If you don't have the knowledge/experience then why should you be entitled to have an opinion on the matter?

Good luck enforcing that in the football forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I would say if you don't allow people to express an uninformed opinion then they will be less likely to be corrected by people who are informed.

Sometimes trolls use the excuse of "I'm only expressing my opinion" and in that case they need to be stamped on. But LiamoSail clearly wasn't trolling. He acknowledged that he might be out of line with his uninformed opinion and then he thanked my post when I explained the reality to him. I don't think all this needling of the guy that has followed is a good idea tbh.

People like to believe this as it is our legal right, both under the constitution of Ireland and the European Convention on Human Rights, both of which give everyone the right to hold an opinion on all manner of life regardless of their knowledge/experience.

Irish Constitution:

Article 40, section 6, subsection i.:

1° The State guarantees liberty for the exercise of the following rights, subject to public order and morality:

i. The right of the citizens to express freely their convictions and opinions.
    The education of public opinion being, however, a matter of such grave import to the common good, the State shall endeavour to ensure that organs of public opinion, such as the radio, the press, the cinema, while preserving their rightful liberty of expression, including criticism of Government policy, shall not be used to undermine public order or morality or the authority of the State.
    The publication or utterance of blasphemous, seditious, or indecent matter
    is an offence which shall be punishable in accordance with law.

European Convention on Human Rights:

Article 10:

1. Everyone has the right to freedom of expression. This right shall include freedom to hold opinions and to receive and impart information and ideas without interference by public authority and regardless of frontiers. This article shall not prevent States from requiring the licensing of broadcasting, television or cinema enterprises."

People like to believe this as it is our legal right, both under the constitution of Ireland and the European Convention on Human Rights, both of which give everyone the right to hold an opinion on all manner of life regardless of their knowledge/experience.

Irish Constitution:

Article 40, section 6, subsection i.:

1° The State guarantees liberty for the exercise of the following rights, subject to public order and morality:

i. The right of the citizens to express freely their convictions and opinions.
    The education of public opinion being, however, a matter of such grave import to the common good, the State shall endeavour to ensure that organs of public opinion, such as the radio, the press, the cinema, while preserving their rightful liberty of expression, including criticism of Government policy, shall not be used to undermine public order or morality or the authority of the State.
    The publication or utterance of blasphemous, seditious, or indecent matter
    is an offence which shall be punishable in accordance with law.

European Convention on Human Rights:

Article 10:

1. Everyone has the right to freedom of expression. This right shall include freedom to hold opinions and to receive and impart information and ideas without interference by public authority and regardless of frontiers. This article shall not prevent States from requiring the licensing of broadcasting, television or cinema enterprises."

Fair enough, but 2 minutes on google before posting would have been beneficial to him and everyone else.

greendom wrote: »
    Fair enough, but 2 minutes on google before posting would have been beneficial to him and everyone else.

i suffer from depression, have many posts on the depression threads on the site and i actually prefer when people give an honest misguided opinion as it's a chance to better inform them. Mental health awareness and frontline mental health services in Ireland are improving steadily over the past decade and if someone has a misguided view it's better to explain it to them than get annoyed and say ffs google it.

• Advertisement

i suffer from depression, have many posts on the depression threads on the site and i actually prefer when people give an honest misguided opinion as it's a chance to better inform them. Mental health awareness and frontline mental health services in Ireland are improving steadily over the past decade and if someone has a misguided view it's better to explain it to them than get annoyed and say ffs google it.
    I suppose his post had the same impact to him as if he googled it. The only difference is that he annoyed a few people in the process. A little bit of prior thought never does any harm, especially when it comes to emotive subjects like this.

greendom wrote: »
    I suppose his post had the same impact to him as if he googled it. The only difference is that he annoyed a few people in the process. A little bit of prior thought never does any harm, especially when it comes to emotive subjects like this.

If he googled it, yeah it might spare annoyance.

If he comes on here and is educated by others, then he and anybody else reading this thread gets educated. Which could be 5 people or 25 people, who held the same un-informed views. So it's always better to have it out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Didn't take long for the moral outrage junkies to jump down that guy's throat. They actually annoy me more that someone who makes a false assumption without any malice intended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Stan Collymore ‏@StanCollymore
    I just found out from @sammatterface who the secret footballer is. Shall I reveal who?

A local football rivalry begins with the secret footballers first name..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Shaun Derry has played for a couple of his clubs..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭ohyesthefinest

If I gave you the biggest clue as to his identity ,it would be game over. That in itself is a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭ohyesthefinest

If I gave you the biggest clue as to his identity ,it would be game over. That in itself is a clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

David Kitson.

There's been so much evidence posted over the last few pages and he's also played for Portsmouth and Sheffield United, as has Derry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Paully D wrote: »
    David Kitson.

There's been so much evidence posted over the last few pages and he's also played for Portsmouth and Sheffield United, as has Derry.

Ah yes, the good 'aul Dave Derby. Always a cracker that one. :pac:

Nah I think it's Kitson too. Stan Collymore won't be telling anyone who it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Looks like he has deleted his tweets!

It surely is Kitson though, so much points to him

I know Danny Murphy's name has been thrown about a bit. He's played for none of the same clubs as Derry afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Paully D wrote: »
    David Kitson.

Is there a local derby called Dave?

Mushy wrote: »

Any other contenders have a first name that is a derby :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Was looking through this thread and seen something very interesting on The Secret Footballer's article from 23rd of March 2011.. The following is a quote from that article:

''It takes an awful lot to sicken me on a football pitch, probably because I am desensitised, having heard it all before. In certain sections of some grounds I am so used to hearing discriminatory chants that those people may as well be shouting out their weekly shopping list. There is one man at a London club who shouts the same thing at me from the same seat every season. Now I just smile and he laughs, happy that I have heard him.''

This makes me 90% sure its Frank Lampard, as he also mentions this in his autobiography 'Totally Frank' when talking about abuse he gets at Upton Park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

Was looking through this thread and seen something very interesting on The Secret Footballer's article from 23rd of March 2011.. The following is a quote from that article:

''It takes an awful lot to sicken me on a football pitch, probably because I am desensitised, having heard it all before. In certain sections of some grounds I am so used to hearing discriminatory chants that those people may as well be shouting out their weekly shopping list. There is one man at a London club who shouts the same thing at me from the same seat every season. Now I just smile and he laughs, happy that I have heard him.''

This makes me 90% sure its Frank Lampard, as he also mentions this in his autobiography 'Totally Frank' when talking about abuse he gets at Upton Park.

:eek: its not frank lampard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

If it was someone as big as Lampard he wouldnt be keeping it a secret.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Prick!

Kitson, decided on this when the link of the time he cleared a ball and kicked valencia leg.

Mushy wrote: »

When a small team plays against a big one,it is often called a meeting of David vs Goliath - this is probably clutching at straws, isn't it ?

G.K. wrote: »
    I just found out from @sammatterface who the secret footballer is. Shall I reveal who?

A local football rivalry begins with the secret footballers first name..
    G.K. wrote: »
    Shaun Derry has played for a couple of his clubs..

Well Game Over in slang is Red Rover (All Over Red Rover) and i imagine the biggest clue to his identity is his hair (Kitson). Also Shaun Derry played for Sheff Utd and Portsmouth (like Kitson). As for the rivalry, Davenport is pretty much the home venue for Stockport County v Maccelsfield Town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

can someone post up all the evidence that its dave kitson? and video evidence if possible?

Im really intrigued by it :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Prick!

I wish I didn't know now :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

can someone post up all the evidence that its dave kitson? and video evidence if possible?

Im really intrigued by it :P

Have a look back over the last few pages mate, it's all there :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Some info that might narrow down who it was the secret footballer has an away jersey of Gareth Bales (number 3) from the season we first qualified for the Champions League under Harry which I believe was 09/10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,379 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Thought it was pretty much confirmed it was Dave Kitson.

Advertisement