Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How far do you travel to train?.

• 29-01-2011 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

Simple question I guess.

And how many clubs, and or styles do you practice?.

From Dublin 13 the furthest I've to travel is the Garda Judo Club in Westmanstown or Coolmine Judo Club in Dublin 15, a round trip of about 30 - 40 miles.

As for clubs, I regularly visit and train in Portmarnock J.C. Coolmine J.C. Garda J.C. and Andy Ryan's BJJRevolution.

I'm guessing John Kavanagh as a pioneer of BJJ in Ireland has had to do some epic journeys to bring the style to us.

So, fire away?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

The trip from the door of my office to the door of my gym is a bit under 50m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Good question. I'm about 35K door to door (Skerries into Bridgestone).

We've a fighter who comes from Tullamore. Pretty sure Jono was giving privates to a lad who was travelling even further than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Less than 50 yards from my front door to my gym at the moment which is as good as it sounds :)

I did do a year traveling from Dublin to Maynooth for a good trainer though so I can feel your pain Khannie

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Walking distance; a few blocks away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

One Luas stop away thankfully to get to SBG for me! Just the one club and style - BJJ about 4 nights a week, 5 if work allows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭antybots

My TKD club is a 30km each way.
    My Muay Thai club is 24km each way.
    However, When I go training from work straight to Muay Thai it's only 6km to get there and then 24km home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

I'm only ten miles from my Judo club, but there are two guys who travel from Limerick once/twice a week for training.

3hr round trip for 2hr training? That's dedication!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Baggio...

Southampton....When I have the cash.

But for my own personal training and my class I walk out into my back yard. :)

Re. different styles - Just combatives at the moment. However, I will get back into Boxing at some point when I have the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Opinicus wrote: »
    I'm only ten miles from my Judo club, but there are two guys who travel from Limerick once/twice a week for training.

3hr round trip for 2hr training? That's dedication!

why dont they train on childer's road?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

To teach, bout 14 miles each way, 6 days a week to teach Muaythai, Sayoc Kali and Kettlebell classes.

To learn, for the last 6 years annual trip to Sama Sama every July (including this July please God), minimum yearly trip to Warwick when my instructor Tuhon Tom Kier comes and any Muaythai/Sayoc seminar that I am in a position to make. This is on top of coaching first year rugby in my son's school. Makes for a lot of weekends away especially when there are 23 (amateur and pro) IMC shows set for this year and I've got two son's playing a lot of school's and club rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

University martial arts club, so about 5 minute walk from 'work' to class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

why dont they train on childer's road?

They do! One of them is one of the coaches. And they train with UL Judo club too I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Niall Keane

Ive been to training camps regularly throughout Europe... Uk, France, Denmark, Austria... Etc.
    But the longest is to Wudang Shan, 2.5 hours to Amsterdam, 16 hours to Beijing, 2 hours to Wuhan, that's the flights, then 10.5 hours bus to a village on the base of the mountain and another 2.5 hours jeep lift as far as track existed, then 3 hour trek through rain forest to Five Dragon Temple, so 36.5 hours not counting airport waiting/ security time.
    It's worth it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 sdub

15min cycle :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 hfyire

5100 miles!!! ( or there abouts...)

My teacher lives in San Fran, but thankfully he comes here too. Like the man before me said, it's worth it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

Mine will be a 30 - 40 minute walk each way.
    Providing SBG still let me in :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

65 mins one way!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pearsquasher

When I teach its 10 min drive 2 evenings a week and 45 min drive one evening a week.. each way.

One of my students used to walk 5 miles each way to class, through dodgy territory.... until I realised and now give them a lift!

When I attend class as a student its Kerry -> Dublin once a month, Ireland -> Japan once a year.... then various seminars in UK/Europe on top of that.

If you love it, its no skin off the nose :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭truebluesac

i travel from the north side of dublin to the south side . about 35 mins driving . but the instructor is worth the travel . i pass by 5 other clubs on the way .......

if the instructor is that good hes worth the travel

• Registered Users Posts: 28 simon-king

Ashbourne to Long Mile Road 20-25min drive ... or if from work, Portranne to Long Mile Road 25-30min drive ..(BJJ)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Right now I only have a few minutes drive to the Oyama Karate classes. I might be moving to Dublin later on in the year so God knows where I'll end up training.

Advertisement