Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is my paint ruined?

• 29-01-2011 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭

took out some paint to give a touch up to a couple of rooms. Paint hasn't been opened for a few years now. It has solidified with liquid on top. Have started trying to mix it up. Difficult to do and wondering whether to persist or is the paint ruined? It is quite solid. Does paint have a sell-by date?? Both tins appeared properly sealed. Took me a while to get the lids off both tins at least!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

paddles wrote: »
    took out some paint to give a touch up to a couple of rooms. Paint hasn't been opened for a few years now. It has solidified with liquid on top. Have started trying to mix it up. Difficult to do and wondering whether to persist or is the paint ruined? It is quite solid. Does paint have a sell-by date?? Both tins appeared properly sealed. Took me a while to get the lids off both tins at least!
    Sounds like it just need a mix get a stirring stick and stir the **** out of it for ten mins and then see how it is

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

try putting it in a pot of hot / warm water outside to melt , then mix it ,

if that fails its a goner

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Was it subject to the sub zero tempatures we have got over the last 2 years ??
    If so bin it.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭paddles

ger664 wrote: »
    Was it subject to the sub zero tempatures we have got over the last 2 years ??
    If so bin it.

Actually, yes! I had it in the garden shed over the past 2 winters :( It has never happened to my paint before. I used to have paint for years. Dammit!

The 2 tins were mixes aswell so awkward to replace.

Yep, just googled this and indeed, twas the freezing temperatures! what a pain! have lots of paint in my shed! Does that apply to all paints- matt emulsion and gloss? what about fence paint/wood stain? Are they all ruined?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Just check them as you are using them, its as simple as that really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Yip, paint is ruined. Try and keep it in the hotpress or underneath the stairs. Frost and paint don't mix. Actually frost and not much mix wll.

Advertisement