Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sitting tenant rights?

Options
  • 29-01-2011 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi, I'm looking for some advice, first timer here so go easy on me :D
    I'm currently renting a house for the last 4 1/2 years, my landlord has informed me recently of her interest to sell the house back to Dublin City Council, the council sent an evaluator to the house etc, the landlord and her family have accepted the councils offer for the house. I got served with a notice to quit the other night, the date it was served on is on it but no date to which I have to leave by, no signature it was just a printed notice. Seen as the council are buying the house with a view to rent it to someone on the housing list and I am currently in it do I have any rights at all?
    Oh I should mention I have been renting privately since 1995 in various locations with my 3 children, yes, had my name on the housing list but funnily enough my file has gone "missing".
    Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭bath handle

I would bring the notice to a solicitor who knows the residential enhances act. If if is invalid as it appears, don't leave. Stay on and handle to be allowed remain on after the change of ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

ohgravy wrote: »
    Hi, I'm looking for some advice, first timer here so go easy on me :D
    I'm currently renting a house for the last 4 1/2 years, my landlord has informed me recently of her interest to sell the house back to Dublin City Council, the council sent an evaluator to the house etc, the landlord and her family have accepted the councils offer for the house. I got served with a notice to quit the other night, the date it was served on is on it but no date to which I have to leave by, no signature it was just a printed notice. Seen as the council are buying the house with a view to rent it to someone on the housing list and I am currently in it do I have any rights at all?
    Oh I should mention I have been renting privately since 1995 in various locations with my 3 children, yes, had my name on the housing list but funnily enough my file has gone "missing".
    Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Assuming you don't have a lease, the landlord has to give you 112 days notice if they want you to move out, and selling the house is a valid reason to serve notice.

Advertisement