Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clomid and Birth Defects

Options
  • 29-01-2011 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Can anyone tell me if there have been any proper studies done to determine if clomid causes birth defects? My consultant prescribed 6mts dosage of 50mg for me as i'm not ovulating. I asked her if it causes birth defects and she told me that because I'm not taking it while pregnant that it can't. But i've been reading up on it and have read that it can stay in your system up to 50 days, so if I become pregnant in those 50 days, is there a chance that I could be doing real damage to my unborn child? I'm really worried about what to do because if there's even a slight chance that it might cause birth defects then I don't want to take it which leaves me and my husband in the worst position because we can't conceive.

Please , if there is anyone reading this with a medical background who can give me some peace of mind, I would really appreciate it.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

RedB - Medical Advice cannot be given on this site. If, however people would like to share their experiences that's fine

I would advise you contact the doctor again with your concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Fetal/Neonatal Anomalies and Mortality
    The following fetal abnormalities have been reported subsequent to pregnancies following ovulation induction therapy with Clomid during clinical trials. Each of the following fetal abnormalities were reported at a rate of <1% (experiences are listed in order of decreasing frequency): Congenital heart lesions, Down syndrome, club foot, congenital gut lesions, hypospadias, microcephaly, harelip and cleft palate, congenital hip, hemangioma, undescended testicles, polydactyly, conjoined twins and teratomatous malformation, patent ductus arteriosus, amaurosis, arteriovenous fistula, inguinal hernia, umbilical hernia, syndactyly, pectus excavatum, myopathy, dermoid cyst of scalp, omphalocele, spina bifida occulta, ichthyosis, and persistent lingual frenulum. Neonatal death and fetal death/stillbirth in infants with birth defects have also been reported at a rate of <1%. The overall incidence of reported birth anomalies from pregnancies associated with maternal Clomid ingestion during clinical studies was within the range of that reported for the general population.

This is just the info that is given on the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) website that is taken from (I think) the Clomid Patient Information leaflet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Well, as we are dealing in personal expderience only: I have twins, conceived after the third round of clomid and IUI, and they are three years old next week and ahead of the curve physically, with the boy having a small speech delay.

Advertisement