Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leaked Android 3.0 (Honeycomb) Preview...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭kenyard

i like the music though

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Loads more videos here too: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Android+Honeycomb&aq=f

It's 'optimised' for tablets but the same os will be going on phones too apparently. It will just act differently depending on the size of the screen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

its stupid calling it Android 3, Google should just have called it Android 2.3 Tablet edition. Theres no split in the OS versions, tablets just need UI changes.

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

lmimmfn wrote: »
    its stupid calling it Android 3, Google should just have called it Android 2.3 Tablet edition. Theres no split in the OS versions, tablets just need UI changes.

Tablets will have more power in the future. Maybe google are anticipating driver changes or other changes that are drastic enough to require 3.0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭calum

Scotty # wrote: »
    Designed for tablet. Nothing spectacular in the video tbh...
    It's certainly not pretty, but then again, neither is stock 2.x. I do wonder about Google's UX designers sometimes... with their resources they should be knocking it out the ballpark every time, but even a lot of their web apps make me cringe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

lmimmfn wrote: »

How can you say its stupid when you don't really know what's in it.

Surely its not just a "Tablet Version" of Gingerbread(2.3).

At the very least it will be 2.4, but if there are significant changes it will be 3.0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

adrian522 wrote: »
    How can you say its stupid when you don't really know what's in it.

Surely its not just a "Tablet Version" of Gingerbread(2.3).

At the very least it will be 2.4, but if there are significant changes it will be 3.0.
    no, its because the next version 3.0 is specifically aimed at tablets, whereas current 2.X is aimed at phones, all im saying is a better approach would be to split editions, make the next phone edition 3.0( but phone edition ) and the tabled edition 3.0 tablet edition. Its a major release but its main feature is tablet support and UI therefore its not a major phone release.

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I just wish they'd sort out the release structure for their updates. The whole staggered software updates due to the fragmented status of the hardware is beginning to piss me off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    I just wish they'd sort out the release structure for their updates. The whole staggered software updates due to the fragmented status of the hardware is beginning to piss me off.

They could force manufacturers to use the same hardware (at least processor) but then you are verging close on Apple, and reduce competition (i.e. between Samsung Hummingbird chip and Qualcomm snapdragon)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

You just know someone will port it or some of the features to the phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Zascar wrote: »

It makes sense in a way to have a different OS on a tablet as from that demo the action/side bars while working great on a tablet would be very messy on the screen of a phone. I expect a redesigned version of honeycomb under a different name to come out for phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Ample Free ...?

Venom wrote: »
    It makes sense in a way to have a different OS on a tablet as from that demo the action/side bars while working great on a tablet would be very messy on the screen of a phone. I expect a redesigned version of honeycomb under a different name to come out for phones.

Agreed. There was never going to be a direct port to phones given Honeycombs optimization for tablets. Matias Duarte made it clear at CES that Honeycomb was just for tablets but that it was also a fairly accurate depiction of where Android is heading in general. So it's fairly safe to assume that any major improvements, UI or otherwise, that don't directly rely on screen size will end up on phones too.

Advertisement