Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you do if you had two gay son? No grand kids!

Options
  • 29-01-2011 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

Well I am 18 and I know and I am gay and my brother is 29/30 and is also gay. Neither of us are and he is about to come out long story but I know he is. My parents are homopobic they hate gay guys and think the need to be fixed. Since my brother has only being home a few times since he went to collage he doesn't really pick upon this. He has an excellent house, job and car and soon. My parents are really proud of him. I don't think they'll accept him and he's the favorite child I am not and i'm left known it. When he was growing up everybody always wondered how did my parents do such a good and still do. He always went to mass confession a few times a week, studied hard etc. I am not like this I do try but it doesn't seem to work out. So when he comes out in the next few weeks. They'll still be proud of him and then they'll look at me for grandkids. I want to give them to them and I would love to have them for myself so what I am basically saying would you mind having two gay sons?
    Or would you prefer to have one gay son and a son that pretended to be straight to give you what you want?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would rather have 2 gay sons then sons that felt they needed to lie to me and not be themselves.
    I have 2 daughters that are both very young and I would hope one day for grandchildren but once they are happy and have partners that treat them well be they straight or gay I will be happy.
    I can understand them being disappointed not because you are gay but because there is 0 chance of grandkids but after that I feel you are stil their son and it is their problem if they do not accept you for the way you are,after all you are still the son that they have always loved nothing has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Butterflylove

Just because your gay doesnt mean you will never be able to adopt, I know its pretty hard and alot of people dont agree with it but in ten years time it could be a completely different world,

Dont pretend to be someone your not to make your parents happy in the long run you'll end up been unhappy and Im sure they just want you to be happy whether it be with a man or a woman

You'd be surprised how your parents would take the news, I thought my parents wouldnt be happy about me been pregnant before marriage etc but they were so welcoming even tho everything pointed to them not been!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭astra2000

Op having straight kids is no guarauntee that you will have grandkids. Maybe your parents will accept that you and your brother are gay and maybe they wont, either way you should not have to live a lie because of other peoples expectations. You only get one life, how sad if you ended up wasting it by trying to be something your not.
    Your very young op stop stressing out and take life one day at a time, been gay doesnt mean you can never have kids, but that decision is one you will make when you are older not this year or even next year!
    I would not want any of my kids living a pretence to keep me happy. You sound like a considerate person and that alone would make me as a parent proud. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

EDIT: THought this was AH

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Just because your gay doesnt mean you will never be able to adopt, I know its pretty hard and alot of people dont agree with it but in ten years time it could be a completely different world,

Or they could move to the UK where homosexual couples (or single people) can adopt. Additionally adoption isn't the only option. There are lots of ways to have a family. You could decide to be a co-parent with a woman you are not in a romantic relationship with. You could get a surrogate. You could provide sperm to a couple who want it and have an "uncle" relationship with a child who is biologically yours and to which your parents would be a third set of grandparents.

And lastly, scientists have been able to create human embryos and small mammals with two mothers and no father for quite a number of years now. It's not unimaginable that in time there will be humans who are the genetic product of two homosexual parents. Maybe not any time too soon, but in the next 10-25 years who knows what will be happening. The bottom line is, if you or your brother want children (because you actually want to be parents, not to make your parents happy) then being gay doesn't rule that out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I don't understand the gay=no kids thing. I understand it to an extent (obviously!) but it's not as if gay couples are incapable of raising children. It's just a bigger deal to have/adopt their child in the first place.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

OP, we recently had a thread that dealt with this issue in great depth.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055965934

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement