Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Straight pull bolt action

Options
  • 29-01-2011 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭

With the end of the season coming up I've been considering changing my stalking rifle. And with the talk of blazers on this forum lately it's got me thinking.

I shoot off the left shoulder but besides writing and shooting off my left, I use my right for everything else. This means that a left handed rifle would be fairly awkward as I'm so used to using using my right hand to work the bolt.

With a straight pull action In a left handed model I would find it alot easier than a conventional left handed bolt action. It would also greatly increase reloading time for a follow up shot if needed!

Big question is what other rifles(if any) are out there with this type action but not as expnsive as a blaser??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

To be honest, I don't think you can go too far wrong with a left-handed turnbolt. All you'll do is rack the bolt with the trigger hand, pivoting on your thumb on the stock. It's faster and you can maintain a sight picture, which is harder with the right-handed bolt. It's a very small adjustment to make in terms of fine motor control, won't bother you at all. Also, the safety will be on the correct side of the gun, any ergonomics like casts and palm swells will fit you rather than working against you and chances are you'll shoot better as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

Can argue with anything u said there but would rather a straight pull..

If not I reckon I'll keep what I have!

patsat wrote: »
    Can argue with anything u said there but would rather a straight pull..

If not I reckon I'll keep what I have!

No worries. Can't think of a cheaper straight pull though unless you want to go with a Swiss military Schmidt Rubin. Lovely guns, very accurate, but there's no bolt handle on the left side either. If you want a look at my rifle sometime let me know, might change your mind. It's a proper left-handed setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭meathshooter1

Big question is what other rifles(if any) are out there with this type action but not as expnsive as a blaser??

Heym sr30,krico, also do straight pull actions and Im sure there are a few others,But in my opinion the blaser is the best straight pull on the market the only bad thing is the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

With the end of the season coming up I've been considering changing my stalking rifle. And with the talk of blazers on this forum lately it's got me thinking.

I shoot off the left shoulder but besides writing and shooting off my left, I use my right for everything else. This means that a left handed rifle would be fairly awkward as I'm so used to using using my right hand to work the bolt.

With a straight pull action In a left handed model I would find it alot easier than a conventional left handed bolt action. It would also greatly increase reloading time for a follow up shot if needed!

A PSE Stock like Edi did for me?

• Advertisement

Thanks itwasntme for the offer, my uncle has a very similar set up to yours in 6.5x55 so I have held that and can see where your coming from.

In regards to the PSE stock, I am happy with the set up the way it is so I don't think I'll change anything with it! It will either be a left handed straight pull or I'll stick with what I have until I can upgrade to one!!

Thanks itwasntme for the offer, my uncle has a very similar set up to yours in 6.5x55 so I have held that and can see where your coming from.

In regards to the PSE stock, I am happy with the set up the way it is so I don't think I'll change anything with it! It will either be a left handed straight pull or I'll stick with what I have until I can upgrade to one!!

You don't know what it is like until you try!

You don't know what it is like until you try!

If i was doing that I change to a tikka or remington as a CZ 550 action is a fairly heavy one! Plus I dont think he does stocks for a CZ!

If i was doing that I change to a tikka or remington as a CZ 550 action is a fairly heavy one! Plus I dont think he does stocks for a CZ!

he did not do a lefty stock for a righthand remmy until I asked him!

But yeah, a tikka masala might solve your problems, that reminds me.....I'm starvin :D:D

he did not do a lefty stock for a righthand remmy until I asked him!

But yeah, a tikka masala might solve your problems,

But the thing is Tack I dont have a problem!:D

Thats why I don't want to settle for less than a left handed straight pull!

• Advertisement

But the thing is Tack I dont have a problem!:D

Thats why I don't want to settle for less than a left handed straight pull!

well buy a Blaser then!
    You are loaded these days, must tell me your secret!

The uniquely designed Blaser R93 is made in Germany and is certainly a rifle but may be more aptly described as a system. It is modular in that all the barrels, bolts (right and left), bolt heads (mini, standard and magnum), and stocks are interchangeable. That's right; one can take a right hand R93, remove the bolt and replace it with a left-hand bolt.B]

Ah now tack loaded is an overstatement! However thanks for that piece of info about the bolts being interchangeable!

Means I can buy second hand and change over! Wont be happening til the summer tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

i have seen a few of these about and they don't look too expensive

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/060612154502001

Don't know how to embed the video, but this is why I want the blaser!

Not the fact of being able fire at a target that fast, its the way he can reload so fast without breaking his position!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ydBID6XZ3o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Don't know how to embed the video, but this is why I want the blaser!

Not the fact of being able fire at a target that fast, its the way he can reload so fast without breaking his position!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ydBID6XZ3o

Blaser R8 Trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

There isnt a great selection out there for us southpaws.Unless you want to pay custom prices for custom built rifles that is. It is one major reason I went for a semi auto.
    A "cheaper" modular platform could be you get a straight pull upper in left hand for an AR10 lower.While not a great beauty[depends on ones perception] it can be built in a myriad of calibres,stocks and yes,there is even very fancy walnut woodwork available.
    Not everyones cuppa tae I agree,but possibility an option.:pac:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭GixxerThou

I know of a blazer 30-06 would be bought right, only fired bout 80 rounds. could be converted to l/h bolt easily.

Patsat, if that's a Sako in 6.5x55 your uncle has I may have met him in MNSCI one day and was chatting to him once I mentioned I had the same gun, also in left-hand drive.

Patsat, if that's a Sako in 6.5x55 your uncle has I may have met him in MNSCI one day and was chatting to him once I mentioned I had the same gun, also in left-hand drive.

Wel he is a member up there so it's very possible! Got a new barrel on it last summer, tis a small world!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Have you considered the Browning lever rifle ? Contrary to a lot of the other lever jobs out there it has a box magazine and is chambered for most of the popular stalking calibers. I rang around enquiring a while ago and I believe they retail for around €1000.

• Advertisement

I looked at the idea of a lever action but would rather the straight pull!!

I reckon I will wait until funds allow for a blaser as I don't want to compromise!

The jury is out on whether it will be an r8 or r93 but I'd go for a synthetic stock anyway!

The beauty with the blazer is you might be able to pick up a second hand stock and bolt. Then buy a new barrel. Save ye a fortune!

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭DR6.5

Have a look at this shop its in scotland,

he has left hand bolts and stocks and a choice of barrels for the r93/r8.

Its a great shop to deal with first class service.

http://www.rmacleod.co.uk/RIFLE%20PRICE%20LIST.pdf

dr6.5

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭noel farrell

if straight is so good how , come it never caught on with the armies of the world. leaving a side cost , this is just me i feel much safer with a turn bolt . i have never owned a straight but i have seen several near ones with straight pull . it might have been the owners fault , the rifles, were 5.000 and over not cheap ones .at work i have fired 100 old .303 rounds a day and have not seen one blow back .. and that most week ends over 16 years . only damage target and my hearing happy hunting

GixxerThou wrote: »
    The beauty with the blazer is you might be able to pick up a second hand stock and bolt. Then buy a new barrel. Save ye a fortune!

Would it really tho??:confused:

Maybe changing the bolt on its own or changing the barrel... but would you not be better off buying new if you had to change all that? I'm talking Irish prices now as I don't want to import!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

wait till ya have the funds stashed (and well hidden from the woman)
    go down and treat yourself to a R93 or a R8
    whichever you prefer
    job done ,no fecking about

Would it really tho??:confused:

Maybe changing the bolt on its own or changing the barrel... but would you not be better off buying new if you had to change all that? I'm talking Irish prices now as I don't want to import!
    Well when I put my LRS2 together I bought barrel and bolt new and bought a second hand stock and mag.. saved me €450 on a total new setup..

GixxerThou wrote: »
    Well when I put my LRS2 together I bought barrel and bolt new and bought a second hand stock and mag.. saved me €450 on a total new setup..

May I ask where you bought the bolt and barrel? Pm sent!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

if straight is so good how , come it never caught on with the armies of the world. leaving a side cost , this is just me i feel much safer with a turn bolt . i have never owned a straight but i have seen several near ones with straight pull . it might have been the owners fault , the rifles, were 5.000 and over not cheap ones .at work i have fired 100 old .303 rounds a day and have not seen one blow back .. and that most week ends over 16 years . only damage target and my hearing happy hunting

The Swiss had a straight pull model as a standard issue rifle in the last century.The Vetterli.Still going strong today with classic rifle shooters.
    Proably because it came out around the time of the Mauser ,and Germany was just going to ouselll a neutral country with their rifle??:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sixpointfive

I have had all the rifles of the day and the Blaser is the best of them all, i have two of them now and the accuracy and engineering still amaze me, you get what you pay for, good things dont come cheap.

Advertisement