Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cabling Questions

• 29-01-2011 5:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭

Right hope this ,akes sense cos i cant figure it out and hope someone can help me. Front room had sky+ so 2 wires coming in there from dish. Have a normal sky box there now so one cable free. I disconnected this in the attic as it was joines at a point with an f-connector female/female connector. I then put this this cable into my triax splitter and also my new aerial into it and from this one cable runs to the bedroom tv point. In the room at the tv point 1 wire is connected to another splitter to take the 2 cables signals and put one to the tv and one to the sky box. My telly is mpeg4/DTT/Saorview and this work perfect with the new setup. THe sky box on the other hand keeps giving a no signal being received message. I know the cable works as i tested both lines in the attic to the front room before i went and cabled to the room and both cables provided a signal to the sky box in the front room. Im perplexed as to whats up :( the sky box in the bedroomn is a panasonic LINKY

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

You can't use a simple splitter (I assume it's an ordinary aerial splitter?) to link satellite and aerial feeds. A splitter will most likely not pass the DC voltage which is used to power the LNB. You need a combiner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭davehey79

ohh !! any one link me to the corrrect splitter/combiner i would need ??

Google is your friend;) There are several suppliers listed in the sticky also.

oh right the one i used was this one 2WAY.jpg

its a Triax 5-2400MHz and has DC Pass on it

The aerial would be shorting out the DC from the satellite box. A proper pair of combiner / splitters will pass DC on the satellite leg and isolate the aerial and satellite frequencies somewhat.attachment.php?attachmentid=145649&d=1296324483

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

yes the one fat-tony shows is a splitter or combiner of type "TV and Satellite Diplexer". It should have 3 filters inside it.

thanks a million lads will get 2 of these and replace them for the ones i have on the runs of cables. much appreciated and makes boards the best website ive ever known for help and advive on anything and everything

right got the 2 of the TV and Satellite Diplexers yesterday replaced out the incorrect ones i had on the cables and nothing still. sky box jsut readds no signal and cant lock on the signal ( no signal bar at all ) im wondering now is the sky box. im gonna take the standard sky box in the living and hook it up in the room see if its the box. i know the lnb run works because the sky box in the living room works on either output from the LNB as ive tried both to it. hope i can sirt it out. would it ever be a case where 3 of the lnb outputs work perfectly and the 4th just stops working ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Yep, seen it happen a few times, even from new on occasion.

Advertisement