Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to get 440 points with only 4 honours?

• 29-01-2011 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Okay so i do pass english, irish and maths. I do honours business, ag science, history and geography. Is it possible to get a least 440 points cause thats what i need. Whats the best way to study im willing to work hard. Also which pass subject is the easyest to get points in im pretty good at all of them but english is my least favourite although i have heard it is easy points is this true? Oh i also do LCVP which im aiming for a distinction with.
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

possible, but slim chance.
    If aiming for 440, most would have taken 6 higher level subjects

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Most you can get is 530.
    4 A1s in HL subjects = 400 points.
    1 A1 in OL subject = 60.
    Highest in LCVP(not sure if that's merit or distinction) = 70 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Here's the points grid:

http://www2.cao.ie/app_scoring/lcegrid.htm

Here are a few ways to get 440:
    • Higher: B1, B1, B1, B1, & ordinary A2, A2.
    • Higher A2, A2, B1, B1, & ord. B1, B1.
    • Higher: A1, A2, B1, B2, & ord. B1, B2.
    In short, lots of combinations, but you'll have to be at the upper end of things in all six subjects. A distinction in the LCVP will help. If you got that and an A1 on one of your ord level subjects, you'd then need to make 310 on your four HL subjects, (e.g., B2, B2, B3, B3). Of course, you never know what way the points will go...

Best way to see is to make a realistic target in each subject, and see how it looks on the points calculator. There are always other routes to consider, if you don't get your first choice. Be sure to include suitable lower choices on your form, in case you don't make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

last year my friend did 3 honors and 3 pass and got 420 ...id say you just gotta work hard ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Definitely do-able, but you will have to put in the effort.

I did 4 higher, 3 ordinary, and LCVP and got 405. For me, Maths was the easiest Ordinary but that's just me. Whichever ordinary level subject you find easiest, try get an A2 or even A1 in that. Don't rely on a distinction in LCVP as it may let you down, but if you do the past exam papers you have a good chance. You're going to have to put in a lot of work to try get A2/B1/B2 in all your higher level subjects but if you start now you can do it.

But all the same, make sure you have plenty of back up's (lower point courses or PLC's) just in case, or for peace of mind.

Good luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Junior D

Yea its definitely, do-able with lots of hard work though. I wouldn't put too much thought though into what grades you'll get in each subject 'cause it never works out the way you'd think. Good luck with it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

fitz1011 wrote: »
    Okay so i do pass english, irish and maths. I do honours business, ag science, history and geography. Is it possible to get a least 440 points cause thats what i need. Whats the best way to study im willing to work hard. Also which pass subject is the easyest to get points in im pretty good at all of them but english is my least favourite although i have heard it is easy points is this true? Oh i also do LCVP which im aiming for a distinction with.
    Thank you
    My older brother did his Leaving Cert. in 2007. He had 6 honours (English, Irish, Italian, Music, Physics and History) he worked damn hard and only got 435..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭ConstantJoe

It's possible, but it'll require a lot of work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,619 ✭✭✭✭kippy

fitz1011 wrote: »
    Thank you

Mathematically its possible and I am sure people have done it and do it all the time, its really up to yourself and any other number of variables.
    What subjects are easiest to do well in? I dont know you well enough to answer that question but I would think maths.

I got 430 many years ago doing 5 honours and one pass. Getting an A1 in pass maths helped a lot. I think I got 2 C's and the rest B's in the honours. I did feck all and to be completely and totally honest with you all here - who may or may not be worried about the LC, I did the course I thought was best for me at the time, I had dropped out of it two years later and the course I ended up in the year after would have been a 180 point course.
    I got a cert in that and have been relatively successful in a completely different field than that which I had gotten 430 points to get into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Can't see it happening tbh, really hop yeh prove me wrong though! Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Difficult to do but possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

You're going for 440 out of a possible 530 which is doable but very hard. I'm not trying to insult you OP or cause any offense, but I can't see a person who does 3 pass subjects getting 440. A lot of people struggle to break 420 with 6 honours subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 piotrish

RMD wrote: »
    You're going for 440 out of a possible 530 which is doable but very hard. I'm not trying to insult you OP or cause any offense, but I can't see a person who does 3 pass subjects getting 440. A lot of people struggle to break 420 with 6 honours subjects.

7 honours 430 points :cool:

Advertisement