Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do I need to know for Leaving Cert Art history?

• 29-01-2011 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭

I'm OK for the drawing parts of the exam(Life sketching, Imaginative composition, etc) it's just the History part I have NO idea what to learn! I'm in 5th year, and haven't even opened an art book yet. My teacher is always out or late and I just bought a less stress art book, so I'm hoping I can just learn that in a year. Anyway, I want to know what do I need to know? I know the 3 sections(Art in ireland, european, etc)

Like, for section one, there's 4 areas, can I just pick one to study(e.g pre-christian ireland) and none of the others? Same with Section 2?

Also, what is section 3? Like what would a question be like and what do I need to know?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Open the Art book.
    Look at past papers and see what is asked.
    Stop blaming your teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Meller

spurious wrote: »
    Open the Art book.

That's hardly fair, the whole point of a teacher is to guide you and answer these questions. They're only in fifth year, it's not like they're leaving it til the last minute and blaming their laziness on the teacher.

You can just pick one area to learn from each section (though lots of people do more than one). As for section 3, the questions are very unpredictable. Check past exam papers to give you a better idea, but there's not a whole lot you can do to prepare. Questions about visiting an art gallery, popular films, etc. have come up several times before, so you can practice with those.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Meller wrote: »
    That's hardly fair, the whole point of a teacher is to guide you and answer these questions. They're only in fifth year, it's not like they're leaving it til the last minute and blaming their laziness on the teacher.

You can just pick one area to learn from each section (though lots of people do more than one). As for section 3, the questions are very unpredictable. Check past exam papers to give you a better idea, but there's not a whole lot you can do to prepare. Questions about visiting an art gallery, popular films, etc. have come up several times before, so you can practice with those.

Fair or not, all you have described could have been found out by looking at old papers.

When exactly does the spoon-feeding stop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

In our school we learn two of the topics each from section 1 and 2. For section one we did pre-Christian Ireland and Early-Christian Ireland. I'd recommend the pre-Christian as, although it can be boring, I find it's a lot easier to learn. For section two we're doing Romanesque/Gothic Art and the Renaissance. We havnt quite finished the Renaissance yet so I cant comment on it too much but I do like it! I find Romanesque/Gothic grand but I think I might prefer the Renaissance as theres a little bit of crossover from my junior cert history class. Makes it easier when you already have some vague facts in ur head. For section three we've done a gallery visit and we're currently studying a movie. As far as I know the Gallery Visit question is fairly common. I think we're going to cover one more thing for section three if we have time and that will be it. This seems to be the standard topics covered for any Art class around my area. Absolutely no need to cover more than two topics per section. If you learned one topic in a lot of detail per section you'd probably cover yourself but having two will give you the option of changing if a difficult question comes up for your preferred topic. Hope that was of some help! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Art Teacher

There are three sections. You must answer one question from each section, 50 marks for each section.

Irish Section

There is always at least one question on Pre Christian Irish Art. So study the Neolithic Era, the Bronze Age and Iron Age ( La Tene). Here a link to notes I am trying to compile online, http://deirdre.tutors.scoilnet.ie/blog/the-iron-age/

There is usually a Early Christian Era Question ( Manuscripts, High Crosses and Metalwork)

There is always a Georgian Era question.

European Section

There is always a Romanesque or Gothic Architecture question

At least one question on a Renaissance artist.

Impressionism & Post Impressionism

Art Appreciation Section

This section tests the candidates general visual appreciation skills. Its hard to predict but usually there is a question about a visit to an exhibition -( so go and see an art exhibition). There is usually a question about a film that you visually appreciate ( Write about a films visual qualities - camera work, lighting, special effects..)

I hope this advice is helpful. Be nice to your art teacher, they're the best teachers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭SeanMadd

Thanks for all your help! I know what to do now :)

And spurious, please take your unhelpful self elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Open the Art book.
    Oooooh.. Kinda harsh

SeanMadd wrote: »
    Thanks for all your help! I know what to do now :)

And spurious, please take your unhelpful self elsewhere.

Develop independent learning. Take some responsibility for yourself.
    What will you do if/when you get to college and you have to do things on your own? No sample essays, no-one to tell you the obvious.

Do it yourself - is that such a strange idea? You will learn far more than you will by getting others to do your work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

What will you do if/when you get to college and you have to do things on your own? No sample essays, no-one to tell you the obvious.

Do it yourself - is that such a strange idea? You will learn far more than you will by getting others to do your work.
    In fairness that's what teachers are getting paid for.. What are people paying taxes for then?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Back on-topic, please, everyone.

The question was: What do I need to know for Leaving Cert Art history?

If the OP feels he has gotten what he needs, I am happy to lock this thread before it goes completely off-topic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Art Teacher

Seanmadd,

You asked;
    Anyway, I want to know what do I need to know? I know the 3 sections(Art in ireland, european, etc)

Like, for section one, there's 4 areas, can I just pick one to study(e.g pre-christian ireland) and none of the others? Same with Section 2?

Also, what is section 3? Like what would a question be like and what do I need to know?

You need to study, in my opinion 3 area's from each section. Yes predictable area's come up year after year - but the questions posed can be very difficult - so give yourself options - 3 options are a reasonable chance for the success you deserve.

You ask about section 3. Its a very good question you ask.
    The truth is - its testing your own heartfelt appreciation and your ability to articulate it - prepare yourself by reading the question fully in the exam. It will normally ask 3 or 4 questions within the one question. Answer all these questions in a logical written format - back up your answers with sketches ( there are often 10 marks out of 50 for sketches).

Best of luck Seanmadd. Ask me for advice anytime you need it. You are a very positive student and an honour to teach. Your brilliance of an enquiring mind, is embodied in the fact that you went on line and sought out the answers to your questions. its a real example of 'doing it for yourself', so I reckon spurious is really proud of your talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Yedya

Have you any idea how bad some teachers are? Its their job to teach us..

I rest my case.
    Asked and answered.
    Thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement